The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2022, 01:37 PM

On the Bluetooth channel playing backing tracks I compared the Everse to the Bose S1Pro and the Mackie Thump Go. The bass on the Everse is much fuller with a more Hifi sound. The high end is about equal with the Mackie and cleaner than the Bose. I didn't compare it to the JBL Compact. As far as volume I don't think there is a great difference in max dBs but the Everse does stay clean near limit where the others get harsh.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Has anyone yet compared live sound of the JBL to the Everse 8 yet? Is the Everse really that much louder? I am most interested in how they sound compared to each other. The "weather-proof" thing seems gimmicky to me. And what good is a plastic cover over the inputs if you are a musician and not a DJ? Also what happens when you lose the plastic or it breaks or it stops fitting properly due to repeated off and on's? How does EV justify the high price? What are you really getting for the extra $$? A few more db's?
The listed max spl of the Everse 8 at 121db is significantly greater than the Eon One Compact's, 112db. And personally I don't think its water-resistant rating is gimmicky, it's clearly nice-to-have around a pool and I would have loved the Everse during some drizzly farmers markets. Last of all, we all can lose and break things--what happens if you lose a power brick?--and the plastic cover is a basic rectangle that should hold up for a long time. The company plans to come out with a more complete cover to accomodate cables, clearly a limitation right now.

Without deep-diving again, several products have comparative benefits and drawbacks. The Eon One Compact, for example, has more inputs, making the Everse's two combos + aux/bluetooth look oddly stingy.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
The listed max spl of the Everse 8 at 121db is significantly greater than the Eon One Compact's, 112db. And personally I don't think its water-resistant rating is gimmicky, it's clearly nice-to-have around a pool and I would have loved the Everse during some drizzly farmers markets. Last of all, we all can lose and break things--what happens if you lose a power brick?--and the plastic cover is a basic rectangle that should hold up for a long time. The company plans to come out with a more complete cover to accomodate cables, clearly a limitation right now.

Without deep-diving again, several products have comparative benefits and drawbacks. The Eon One Compact, for example, has more inputs, making the Everse's two combos + aux/bluetooth look oddly stingy.
Most speakers can take a small amount of light rain without any damage. I had my JBL compact out in the rain and I wiped it down afterwards and it was fine. The problem with the plastic cover is it doesn't stay connected to the speaker. It pushes on and comes completely off. That's another weird design. Why not have it so it can open and close and stay with the speaker? Or a sliding panel that you open or slide shut? It just looks cheap the way they did it. And 2 channels for instruments is the strangest decision of all. Why not make it at least equal to the competition in terms of channels? If someone has an acoustic duo, forget this one. Anything more than 1 mic, 1 instrument and you'll be looking elsewhere. Head scratching for sure.
Old 11-17-2022, 04:58 AM

Yesterday I sold my 3 weeks old S1 pro and today I received and unboxed the Everse 8.They reccomend leaving it to charge 24 hours before using it. Is it really that important? I find very frustrating to have it here and not be able to test it.
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars

Last edited by Paoli; 11-17-2022 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:36 AM

Sound demo here by a thai reviewer at 13:30
Old 11-18-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoli View Post
Yesterday I sold my 3 weeks old S1 pro and today I received and unboxed the Everse 8.They reccomend leaving it to charge 24 hours before using it. Is it really that important? I find very frustrating to have it here and not be able to test it.
I think, they mean leaving it plugged in. I’m sure, it can charge and play at the same time.
Anyway, the 24 hours seem to be over. I’m very interested what you think about the Everse with guitar and vocals. They must have developed very efficient drivers.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-18-2022, 12:02 PM

These are the first comments dealing with the Everse acoustic guitar/vocal performance compared to the Bose S1:

I totally agree with your hearing a tad of harshness in the EV as compared with the Bose. But with the EQ options available on the EV, I figure that we‘ll be able to dose the treble quite well for each input signal and tone down any offending harshness. With the Bose, the sound is indeed full and warm and pleasant, though also (intentionally, for that is Bose‘s sound signature) a bit veiled or muffled. So it depends what you like, or rather, what best suits the sound sources you are using. I‘m actually a full-range kind of guy, and thus highly interested in the EV to replace my S1 Pro. The EV simply offers a lot more options, and more true-to-nature sound that makes vocals and a lot more really shine, so it seems.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
I think, they mean leaving it plugged in. I’m sure, it can charge and play at the same time.
Anyway, the 24 hours seem to be over. I’m very interested what you think about the Everse with guitar and vocals. They must have developed very efficient drivers.
So far I just tested it with my OM28V and a Fishman Rare Earth mag,pretty neutral pickup,later IŽll start with the mic and different pickups and guitars combinations and add preamps and stuff.Up to now I am extremely happy with it,I sold my 3 weeks old S1,loosing a good chunk of money and there was a chance that I was going to get disappointed but no,much better then what I expected.It sounds better with the Fishman plugged straight in then the Bose or even my couple of AERs with preamps and stuff.I generally profoundly dislike smart phones but to be able to control all the parameters within the app,that is simple and fast, allows you to really enjoy the exploration of the EV.There are a couple things that I would have done differently in the design of the app like to be able to switch the effects and set their gain on the same page but nevermind,there are creative ways to get round it,for ex I am able to pair it with my iphone an Ipod at the same time,one on a page the other on a different one.It is LOUD and the 8 inches speaker marks a big difference in bass response,the effects, although mostly not editable ,sound surprisingly good and within their plentitude it easy to find what you want.If u go purely instrumental with the combination of the simple channel eq and the global 9 bands para eq,you are able to shape the eq to precise details.I bought it for small gigs and busking.I play ragtime ,blues,country, DADGAD stuff and americana,most of the time in the same set.To be able to quickly change eq accordingly is vital to me .IŽll spend this eve and tomorrowŽs daytime with it and tomorrow night will make its debut in the real world,at times quite different from your music room,we will see.So far I am delighted,much more useful to me then the Bose with its constrained bass and general lack of headroom and controls .I have to give to the Bose that the 120 degrees dispersion thing really does work with the public,the EV apparently reaches 100. IŽll see tomorrow eve how it pans out and update the info.
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars

Last edited by Paoli; 11-19-2022 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:14 PM

Thank you Paoli for taking so much time! Very interesting review. Looks like EV got it right.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-18-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Thank you Paoli for taking so much time! Very interesting review. Looks like EV got it right.
yes indeed
Old 11-18-2022, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoli View Post
So far I just tested it with my OM28V and a Fishman Rare Earth mag,pretty neutral pickup,later IŽll start with the mic and different pickups and guitars combinations and add preamps and stuff.So far I am extremely happy with it,I sold my 3 weeks old S1,loosing a good chunk of money and there was a chance that I was going to get disappointed but no,much better then what I expected.It sounds better with the Fishman plugged straight in then the Bose or even my couple of AERs with preamps and stuff.I generally profoundly dislike smart phones but to be able to control all the parameters within the app,that is simple and fast, allows you to really enjoy the exploration of the EV.There are a couple things that I would have done differently in the design of the app like to be able to switch the effects and set their gain on the same page but nevermind,there are creative ways to get round it,for ex I am able to pair it with my iphone an Ipod at the same time,one on a page the other on a different one.It is LOUD and the 8 inches speaker marks a big difference in bass response,the effects, although mostly not editable ,sound surprisingly good and within their plentitude it easy to find what you want.If u go purely instrumental with the combination of the simple channel eq and the global 9 bands para eq,you are able to shape the eq to precise details.I bought it for small gigs and busking.I play ragtime ,blues,country, DADGAD stuff and americana,most of the time in the same set.To be able to quickly change eq accordingly is vital to me .IŽll spend this eve and tomorrowŽs daytime with it and tomorrow night will make its debut in the real world,at times quite different from your music room,we will see.So far I am delighted,much more useful to me then the Bose with its constrained bass and general lack of headroom and controls .I have to give to the Bose that the 120 degrees dispersion thing really does work with the public,the EV apparently reaches 100. IŽll see tomorrow eve how it pans out and update the info.

Very nice review, thanks Paoli!
Old 11-26-2022, 08:37 PM

Good video: Everse compared to JBL Compact. JBL has a 7 year warranty now on the Compact. Nobody mentions that!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59374H8e3HQ&t=2s
Old 11-28-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Good video: Everse compared to JBL Compact. JBL has a 7 year warranty now on the Compact. Nobody mentions that!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59374H8e3HQ&t=2s
Not much of a comparison. His biggest issue and reason he likes the EV better is because he hates having to hold the power button in for 5 seconds on the JBL. Kind of a silly reason if you ask me. He mostly compares the features and not much talk about real world sound comparison.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:56 PM

YouTube comment:
So I pulled it out of the box and spent a couple of hours exploring and experimenting with EQ, the heart and core of this speaker. Once I mastered that (well, to whatever extent I could) I found the speaker to be outstanding, and far superior to the Bose S1Pro that I had traded in. I seriously think that after a STEEP LEARNING CURVE, this speaker is likely the finest battery powered speaker available, but obviously the column array ones are a different breed costing $500 more. Will I ever need the Sub1...extremely unlikely for vocals with some karaoke/cover backing tracks. I traded in the Bose S1Pro because of its pathetically poor Mic Preamps. I had to use a mixer with it, as if I plugged in a dynamic mic into one of the XLR inputs, I barely got enough volume to fill a 15x20 foot room. The Everse 8 is far superior from that standpoint.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:09 PM

I can verify that you can indeed plug an input source into the 3.5 jack on channel 3/4 and also play something through bluetooth. Nice little extra option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification