The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post

I think all pickups with an Element need to settle a while till the soft part of the Element is really squeezed. So, don’t judge it on the first days. Also you might leave the saddle a tiny bit higher and sand it down after 2 or 3 days.
I have kind of come around to the same conclusion with the Element. I too was always concerned about the impact on the guitar, but to be honest, I have never noticed any major changes. I currently have a Dtar Wavelength in my guitar, which uses the Element. My Taylor sounds just as good and loud as ever. I really don't buy those who claim it was a night and day difference when they removed the Element. I think there are so many other factors at play. I have even switched Tusq saddles before and noticed a difference. I hope that doesn't come across as rude, I just think we sometimes hear what we want to hear.

On a side note, I also don't get the comments about K&K pickups not sounding good. Yes, a K&K takes time to eq, but it's such a consitent pickup. Not sure how some people have so much trouble making it sound good.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I agree that the Anthem SL would do well for you. I have it in my Larrivee L03 and it is by far my favorite plugged in sound that requires little to no EQ live.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:50 AM

When installing the Element or Anthem, LR Baggs recommends sanding the bottom of the saddle slightly at an angle and the sides, to allow the saddle to “rock” slightly. People have blamed Gibson for poor workmanship for a loose saddle, but it’s what LR Baggs recommends for ideal contact between the saddle and the Element UST.

After temporarily removing the Element, I’ve replaced the Tusq saddle for a very snug fitting bone saddle. If I install the Anthem, I’m wondering how tight I can keep the fit of the saddle without compromising contact between the saddle and the element.

Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
When installing the Element or Anthem, LR Baggs recommends sanding the bottom of the saddle slightly at an angle and the sides, to allow the saddle to “rock” slightly. People have blamed Gibson for poor workmanship for a loose saddle, but it’s what LR Baggs recommends for ideal contact between the saddle and the Element UST.

After temporarily removing the Element, I’ve replaced the Tusq saddle for a very snug fitting bone saddle. If I install the Anthem, I’m wondering how tight I can keep the fit of the saddle without compromising contact between the saddle and the element.

Thoughts?
All true. The installation instructions for the Element specify that the saddle MUST lean slightly in the slot or it will negatively impact the sound.

That said, I've had a couple of Elements in guitars and didn't care for them. Both were replaced with K&K Pure Mini transducers.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the correction: I looked at manual for the full Anthem. I didn't realize how many hidden adjustments there are to it.

About how much does the 'cheesecake slice' weigh? I can see the issue with that.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay42 View Post
Thanks for the correction: I looked at manual for the full Anthem. I didn't realize how many hidden adjustments there are to it.

About how much does the 'cheesecake slice' weigh? I can see the issue with that.
It's very light. I would be surprised if it has any impact on the tone.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's very light. I would be surprised if it has any impact on the tone.
It weights barely anything and the entire SL only weighs 2.6oz (without a battery). Which is barely more than the K&K.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
All true. The installation instructions for the Element specify that the saddle MUST lean slightly in the slot or it will negatively impact the sound.
I read the Baggs instruction differently. They say that the saddle must not fit tightly, not that it "MUST lean". The part about the leaning saddle, to me, reads about what should be done if you are modifying an existing [loose fitting] saddle so that it has good contact with the UST.

I made a saddle that "just fits" so did not need to tinker with the bottom, hoping that angle would account for the lean. (And, I think Baggs should have simply stopped with saying "make a saddle that fits!" but they didn't ask me...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 4.00.49 PM.jpg (71.4 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 02-02-2023 at 04:17 PM. Reason: add snipping from Anthem install guide
Old 02-03-2023, 08:26 AM

If the guitar has the Baggs Element installed I would consider leaving it in place and just adding a Pure Mini. The passive K&K can be wired to the Baggs jack or you can add a second isolated jack. I've done exactly that for two Eastman guitars that came with the Element. I was hesitant to add a second jack but it's worked out very well. I use the pickup that works best for the venue sound system.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:44 AM

I have a 2013 J45 and I upgraded the Element pickup to an Anthem SL, because I didn’t like the sound.
It was a breeze to do myself without any changes to the guitar itself, all needed holes and clips were already there.
I do agree with those who say it may not sound its best right away after the install.
It seems the saddle has to settle in to the somewhat soft element pickup.
So definitely give that some time, like days or a couple weeks, before you make final judgement on the sound.
I also agree with those who say the mic level adjustment should be done at normal loud volume and it is touchy so expect
to have to take just a bit of time to do careful adjustment, small movements of the control make a big difference in sound.
Overall much happier.

If you do want to go the passive transducer direction I would strongly urge you to consider a James May Engineering Ultra Tonic pickup over the others.
It can do everything a K&K or JJB can do plus it has the anti-feedback adjustment to handle low-mid mud.
A bit more expensive and a few more steps to install but well worth it. I have it in a Martin CEO7 and like it a lot.

Hope this helps, cheers. _Roger

Last edited by RogerPease; 02-03-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:02 AM

Well, now I’m noticing that the guitar has a noticeable airyness without the UST…. SOOO… Since I detest the typical UST quack sound and I’m thinking the Anthem with the element UST ISN’T going to work for me after all, I’m thinking Schatten? The active version looks interesting and all the vids I’ve seen on the passive version sound really good. Anyone using the active version?
Old 02-04-2023, 12:24 PM

I have a few Schattens, only passive but I‘ve used them with very nice preamps. They are nice pickups on certain guitars, not so much on others.
Anyway, to my ears an Anthem is in a total different league, much better but more expensive as well.

Be aware that a little bit of the piezo sound helps a lot in alive setup. A guitar with a mic only will get burried. I totally hate the quack of an UST, but it’s nice if it’s just reduced. Play a pickup loudly and you will see/hear.

Recorded directly to a computer isn’t what you get via big speakers.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 02-04-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
I have a few Schattens, only passive but I‘ve used them with very nice preamps. They are nice pickups on certain guitars, not so much on others.
Anyway, to my ears an Anthem is in a total different league, much better but more expensive as well.

Be aware that a little bit of the piezo sound helps a lot in alive setup. A guitar with a mic only will get burried. I totally hate the quack of an UST, but it’s nice if it’s just reduced. Play a pickup loudly and you will see/hear.

Recorded directly to a computer isn’t what you get via big speakers.
Thanks, Peter Z. Good perspective. Looking at your signature - what do you have in your Southern Jumbo (if anything) and do you like it?
Old 02-04-2023, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Get the James May UltraTonic - you’ll never regret it -

If cost is an issue, install the K&K - then, down the road when you realize its good but you really want great, you can install the UltraTonic upgrade kit, and get the sound you really wanted originally -

Then someday, if you want to take it over the top, you add the Tonedexter -
Old 02-05-2023, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
Thanks, Peter Z. Good perspective. Looking at your signature - what do you have in your Southern Jumbo (if anything) and do you like it?
The Southern Jumbo came with the factory installed LR Baggs Element, just like the Hummingbird.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification