The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2023, 11:25 AM

Default K&K mini with a UST

Is this combo commercially available or has any industrious acoustic forum readers devised one? (using a stereo jack)
thanks
Old 01-31-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalooba View Post
Is this combo commercially available or has any industrious acoustic forum readers devised one? (using a stereo jack)
thanks
Yes, K&K sells this combination. I can't think of the name though. Another one that's similar is the Fishman Powertap Infinity.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:42 PM

Default K&K mini with a UST

Sorry, but I should clarify my question. I actually meant "under the saddle pickup", such as a piezo, instead of under the soundboard.
thanks
Old 01-31-2023, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
thanks
Yes, it's called the K&K PowerMix system which incorporates the K&K Pure Mini SBT along with the K&K FantaStick UST with a dual source jack and preamp.

Here is a direct link:

K&K PowerMix System

They also do a dual source K&K Pure Mini with their excellent Double Helix Solo magnetic sound hole pickup as well which I believe you already asked about and I gave you a link to that.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:29 PM

I will check them out. Thanks
Old 01-31-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I should clarify my question. I actually meant "under the saddle pickup", such as a piezo, instead of under the soundboard.
thanks
I think you might have been confused. I was referring to the PowerMix pure mentioned above. It’s a UST and k&k, just couldn’t remember the name.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I will check them out. Thanks
Sent you a PM with more information.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:28 AM

I use a passive K&K with a Baggs Element.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianw View Post
How do you like it? I have always wanted to try a K&K and UST set up but would love to know the pros and cons.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Interesting. How do you configure it?
Old 02-05-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Interesting. How do you configure it?
I have this arrangement in two guitars that came with the Baggs Element pre-installed. I love the K&K pickups and until I got these guitars never used a UST, but found the Element to be very useful in some situations.... included preamp, volume/eg control, minimum feedback, etc.... so I decided to leave it and just add the K&K. While a passive pickup can be wired directly to the Element jack creating a single dual-source system I decided to isolate them both and just add a second jack for the K&K. It's worked out very well. Depending on the sound system I just plug into the pickup that works best using a standard cable. A simple Y breakout cable into a blender pedal let's me mix them, but I honestly haven't found a need to do that. I find that if I'm depending on a venue sound system that I can't control the Element is normally the better option. If I'm using my own system in a quiet room I usually go with the K&K.

I have to say that while I've installed over a dozen K&K's and always recommend them for a somewhat natural sound I've come to see UST's like the Element as just one more available option for live sound in the real world. In my opinion they don't deserve the criticism they routinely get on acoustic guitar groups, but that's just the nature of the beast. In the end you have to trust your ears and come to your own conclusions.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I have to say that while I've installed over a dozen K&K's and always recommend them for a somewhat natural sound I've come to see UST's like the Element as just one more available option for live sound in the real world. In my opinion they don't deserve the criticism they routinely get on acoustic guitar groups, but that's just the nature of the beast. In the end you have to trust your ears and come to your own conclusions.
I agree and have had the same revelations over the last few years. Kudos to Fishman and Baggs because it seems that they were way ahead of their time when first introducing simple USTs and variations in piezo technologies (I realize Ovation were one of the first too). It seems that their inventions are well suited to modern advancements in acoustic amplification, regardless of who makes them or what they are. The Tonedexter, Voiceprint, and IRs in general have made what "type" of pickup much more arbitrary than ever before. I love the direction the inventions are going; meaningful contributions and hard going into making the acoustic guitar sound better live (while cutting through a mix), while at the same time allowing the KISS principle to remain for the player.

It's a good time to be an acoustic guitarist.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification