The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post

Told the guy at Sweetwater, explain it to me like you are explaining it to your Grandpa.

Wait, was that Sweetwater? Or was it my Grandson.
Bwahahahaha.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-31-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
If I'm hauling a PA. Monitor is JBL 815
Isn't the Loudbox less than half the weight of the JBL 815? (21 lbs vs 46 lbs)

You mentioned that getting old sucks. I can tell you at 70+ years, I choose MY gear by weight as well as by performance.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the Loudbox is much easier to move around. Can throw it in the car, no problem.

Where the problem lies, I have been running my sound through large format PA equipment, since I first started playing acoustics on stage, in the 70's.

The sound that comes out of a large, wooden, sound reinforcement speaker, is hard to beat.

When I chose the JBL's I had a Gibson J-45 acoustic, running into a mixer, while the salesman switched the speakers to every maker and speaker size in the room. I quickly counted out all the speakers smaller than 15" woofers.

When I first went in, I was really thinking QSC, as they a well-known, light weight highly used speaker.

Tried QSC, Yamaha, EV, JBL, Others cheaper models as well.

First thing I noticed was. I DID NOT like the sound of the plastic speakers. Even the JBL EON series. They all sounded nasally.

Next as you can imagine, feedback was rampant. As I am deaf from my years of working in an auto paint shop, as well as years of playing loud music on stages, and in small rehearsal spaces.

When the salesman hit on the JBL 715, BOOM. Feedback was gone. Guitar sounded like it was supposed to. Had him turn up the volume. Louder than I would normally have it. Sounded great.

Then had him run back through the line of speakers. Only the wooden ones. First speaker he switched it to SCREEEEEECH Fedback immediately.

I run guitar, as well as vocal through it. Get the quality sound I like, Can hear vocal and guitar clearly. Have enough power to get over a loud audience, or outdoor setting if necessary. Have since upgraded to the 815's.

Have 715's as my TV speakers.

Still haven't hooked up mic to the Loudbox. Pretty sure I know what I can expect. I used a Loudbox Mini, at an Art gallery a few years ago. Plugged in guitar and sang into open air. Would rather do that, than sing through a system that sounds like crap.

If I need to move PA, I'll take my trailer and dolly's. I have learned the hassle of dragging a trailer is nothing compared to having to lift things into the back of a car or truck.

And yes, I am an old cantankerous, stubborn rock&roller, who knows what I like.

But if I choose to go to the senior center jam session. (Last time I went I had nothing but my 000-28). Playing it up in the air, ala Marty Robbins.

The Loudbox will get it done.

And yes, Lost Sheep. Getting old sucks. I seriously don't see making 70, then again, I figured I'd be dead by 30. So, now I've lived more than twice that.

By the time I get to 70. I'll likely be living in said senior center. Hopefully, I'll still be able to play. I have no way of knowing.

Then again, the future is not for me to know.

I just live for the day. Woke up this morning. Got out of bed. So, today is a good day. (so far)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification