The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I am interested to see how this progresses. Every time I add something to the HX Stomp, I end up just using the HX Stomp on its own. I was just wondering if the tube compressor settings in the Stomp get you to the same result? I’m just solo gigs where you aren’t going to use any Stomp effects, I could see where the SGBB would be a nice addition. Springsteen always used or uses a tube preamp to fatten up and warm up his Takamine. That is where the “cool tube” Tak preamp came from as I understand it.
Keep experimenting!
Davidc
This bb is not a preamp per say. its a pickup buffer or Loader. The tube comp
on the stomp is a model so its a digital
image of a tube comp. Ive used the tube
comp and its nothing compared to this
sarno bb. Being Analog and an actual
tube unit. gives it that soft warm saturated sound you cant get with digital. Like a mp3 vs a turntable.
Im quite busy now but will get back to playing with this stomp bb combo soon.

Wondering if Sprucetop got his in the mail yet..
Old 03-12-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
This bb is not a preamp per say. its a pickup buffer or Loader. The tube comp
on the stomp is a model so its a digital
image of a tube comp. Ive used the tube
comp and its nothing compared to this
sarno bb. Being Analog and an actual
tube unit. gives it that soft warm saturated sound you cant get with digital. Like a mp3 vs a turntable.
Im quite busy now but will get back to playing with this stomp bb combo soon.

Wondering if Sprucetop got his in the mail yet..
Yes, indeed, I got it today, and it was waiting for me on the kitchen table! I didn't know it was coming as Brad Sarno didn't send any tracking information or let me know it was even on the way. I haven't tried it yet but I've got my SGBB plugged-in right now to "burn it in" overnight.

Now, it's finally time to tune-up for the first time my Republic Duolian. More to come ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-12-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Yes, indeed, I got it today, and it was waiting for me on the kitchen table! I didn't know it was coming as Brad Sarno didn't send any tracking information or let me know it was even on the way. I haven't tried it yet but I've got my SGBB plugged-in right now to "burn it in" overnight.

Now, it's finally time to tune-up for the first time my Republic Duolian. More to come ...
So what did it do for your particular rig, Ken? I just listened to a demo of a steel guitar player who got a whole range of tones out of it depending on where he set the input impedance dial. In order for that to work, however, the SGBB needs to be the first device that a passive mag pickup is connected to. An active mag system won’t work that way because the mag is already connected to the fixed input impedance of the onboard system.

Now that I’ve ordered a Mojotone NC-Passive soundhole mag, I’m curious about the Black Box again. The downside would be that it’s not very portable. I’d have to plug it into a wall outlet or power strip.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
So what did it do for your particular rig, Ken? I just listened to a demo of a steel guitar player who got a whole range of tones out of it depending on where he set the input impedance dial. In order for that to work, however, the SGBB needs to be the first device that a passive mag pickup is connected to. An active mag system won’t work that way because the mag is already connected to the fixed input impedance of the onboard system.

Now that I’ve ordered a Mojotone NC-Passive soundhole mag, I’m curious about the Black Box again. The downside would be that it’s not very portable. I’d have to plug it into a wall outlet or power strip.
Hmmm, interesting comment about using it with an active pickup.

Would the latest version (adjustable up to 5 M-ohm . . for acoustic bass) perhaps fix that issue?

Note that the URL has changed to: https://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/...black-box.html
Old 01-30-2023, 02:39 PM

Oops. Duplicate.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Hmmm, interesting comment about using it with an active pickup.

Would the latest version (adjustable up to 5 M-ohm . . for acoustic bass) perhaps fix that issue?

Note that the URL has changed to: https://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/...black-box.html
Depends on the pickup. It would most likely help with a passive UST like the Fishman AG series or a passive Baggs LB6. It likely wouldn’t help with a passive soundhole mag. The point that Dave Wendler used to make, however, is that it needs to be a passive pickup running directly to the SGBB for best results AND for being able to use the SGBB’s variable input resistance as a sort of tone control. After the Black Box has added some nice harmonics, solid state preamps or amps can be used to boost the signal.

Here’s the video of the steel guitar player who demos how he uses the variable input resistance to alter the tone.
http://youtu.be/s5Bm0lxiDDU

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification