The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-25-2023, 01:09 AM

Default Lowden Nylon String Guitars - Is There A “Signature” Sound

I’ve heard this true for their steel string guitars, and people either love it or not. Particularly nice for Celtic finger style. I wouldn’t know, having never played one.
I wonder if George created something unique when he redesigned his nylon guitars. Anything on this?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2023, 10:06 AM

I have a healthy interest in nylon at this time, so I've been looking at a bunch of them.

Having bought a Lowden O23C new I'm familiar with the brand. I don't have first-hand experience with Lowden Nylons, but I'd be concerned that they may have the same tendency to being over-built that the Taylor nylons have.

If you are wanting to have a good comparative listen then I can recommend watching the videos at Heartbreaker Guiters. They demo a variety of Lowden nylons, including the Wee Lowden nylon. None of them really grab my attention, although the Wee might be my preferred tone.

In regards to the smaller body size and scale length you might also be interested in the new Kenny Hill Companion. I have a topic on that here in the Classical forum.

I own a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion which I like, and also a dumpster-rescued Karl Hauser I converted over to a crossover. The Hauser gets all my playing time for the last couple of months as I have it tuned down to CGDGBE. I have a topic over in the Show And Tell section, "Adventures in CGDGBE!".
Old 01-25-2023, 10:41 AM

Lowden guitars are way more versatile than that and they can cover a wide range of playing styles from Ed Sheeran to Pierre Bensusan, via Richard Thompson, Thomas Leeb or Stephen Inglis to name a few...
A wide bunch of fingerstylist play or have played Lowden guitars (Alexandr Misko, Kaki King, Jon Gomm, Tony McManus, jacques Stotzem...) but browsing the web you could hear Shawn Jones or the late Gary Moore too, even Eric Clapton or Graham Nash. Alex deGrassi doesn't sound "Celtic" does he?

Now, speaking of Nylon strings, I'm the proud owner of a S32J (Indian Rosewood/Alpine Spruce) which I use mainly (unplugged) as a classical guitar, with a few shy steps into jazz... this guitar is very balanced, less responsive than a true classical of course -because it's been designed to be plugged in- but not "celtic" at all to my ears...
I had a Cedar topped crossover before that sounded more "midrange", more jazz actually (from a French luthier named Guy Trameleuc). Before I chose the Lowden, I tried a lot of "crossover" guitars from almost every brand and the Lowden was the only one that sounded right unplugged.

George Lowden himself also built true concert classical guitars under his "George Lowden Luthier" trademark, some are played by classical masters but they are rare to find and very expensive (a few classical were built during the Japanese license by Sadao Yairi too but they are quite impossible to find these days).
I never played the more recent WL-J (wee size), the new S23J (Walnut Cedar), S34J (Koa/Alpine) as they never made the trip to Paris, only the 25 (Rosewood/Cedar) and the 32... The cedar topped S25J sounds more "jazzy".

But that's only my opinion FWIW of course
Nobody hears the same...
2015 S32J (Indian Rosewood/Alpine Spruce)
2020 Jérôme Lair French Romantic guitar (Yew/Spruce)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical