The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-21-2022, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha!

Anyone who loves guitars as much as most around here do should try to build one, at least one. It opens up worlds & inspires you to play. There's just something about opening up a dialogue with tonewoods that is so addicting & quixotic!

What were the final depths of your 00-sized beauty?

Great job!

alohachris
Aloha Chris,

I agree that building a guitar does indeed change the way you look at, hear and appreciate our instruments. I too would reccommend the build process to all players.

The deep body congiguration for the 00 adds 1/2" in depth the the body. Mine measures 3 3/4" at the heel and 4 1/2" at the end pin.

John
Old 11-21-2022, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Congratulations!

What a fascinating approach.

May I ask.....

1. Do they require a certain level of prior wood working experience? If not, I'm not sure how a neophyte who may have to be taught the basics of woodworking can even complete one in a week.

2. Do they precut the neck and some of the wood?

3. How is the precision of the resulting guitar compared to a top flight luthier with impeccable precision in the joinery? I'm curious if everything is done so that the parts first together extremely tightly so that a minimal amount of glue is needed.

Curious.

Thanks and again, Congratulations!
Thanks PTL,

To answer your questions....

1) I believe the Steve and Ryan have now completed somewhere around 12 student builds with folks of all levels of previous experience. The process steps and timing are well defined and tested, with plenty of time built in for instruction. With a clear road map and excelllent mentoring it is impressive what can be accomplished in one week.

2) You might have missed it earlier in the thread, but for my build the Sitka spruce sound board was glued together, the radial rosette was glued up and routed, and the 3 piece neck had been glued up prior to my arrival. All other construction was complete once I arrived on site.

3) I feel the precision is top notch. Ryan and Steve are not going to allow you to produce a second rate guitar. Now, because it is a student build and is completed in 1 week several fancier, top flight options such as decorative inlays and mitered purfing are off the table. However, the guitar that is completed is of very high quality. Is it at the same level of quality of a luthier that has been practicing his/her craft for decades? Of course not that would simply be impossible.

By the way, all wood pieces always need to be fitted together tightly. The glue is used to fuse two pieces together into one, not fill gaps of poorly joined pieces. If your curiousity has been piqued, I strongly recommend reaching out to Ryan. He can answer any other questions you might have and give you more details about how you too can create an awesome guitar in one week in the Piney woods of east Texas!

Cheers,
John
Old 11-21-2022, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Congrats, jguns! I know you had a wonderful journey and your guitar looks fabulous.

My student guitar that I built with Steve and Ryan has quickly become my favorite go-to guitar!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine as you savor the memories you made and those you continue to make with your handmade guitar.
Thanks Kevin, I couldn't be happier with how well this guitar turned out. The looks, IMHO, are off the charts gorgeous but the tone FAR exceeded my expectation. With it being less than a week old, I am still getting acquainted with it but I am starting to see where mine too could become that go-to guitar.

Glad to hear that you are getting along so well with your Padauk beauty. It was fun following along with your build prior to mine starting so that I kind of knew what would be in store. Continue to enjoy it and play it in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpolineni View Post
Congrats John on a STUNNING guitar! I know you'll love the deep body 00 as much as I do. It would be fun to meet up and compare our guitars one day!
Hi Vasu, Thanks for the kind words. I am sooo enjoying it. In fact, I think I hear it calling me from the back room now saying come play me. I hope we get a chance to meet in the future and compare our creations.

All the best,
John
Old 11-21-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Smile Students unite!

I predict a Kinnaird student a palozza….

Jam on on your BEAUTIFUL instruments!

And Happy Thanksgiving

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-21-2022, 10:06 AM

Congrats! it’s beautiful!
Old 11-22-2022, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I predict a Kinnaird student a palozza….

Jam on on your BEAUTIFUL instruments!

And Happy Thanksgiving

Paul
Thanks Paul. A student guitar a palooza.... Hmmm what a idea I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendandsnap View Post
Congrats! it’s beautiful!
Thanks Bendandsnap!
Old 11-26-2022, 09:22 AM

Congratulations!! What a beautiful instrument and how great to have built it and to know it in that way. So special!!! Enjoy making music with this great guitar!

Beth
Old 11-27-2022, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainguitar View Post
Congratulations!! What a beautiful instrument and how great to have built it and to know it in that way. So special!!! Enjoy making music with this great guitar!

Beth
Thanks Beth. Every morning when I pick it up to play I still have to marvel at the fact that I built this incredibly beautiful looking and sounding instrument. It makes me shake my head and smile. It was such a great experience and the end product is pretty cool too.

John
Old 11-28-2022, 03:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

When John came up to do the setup and string this baby up, he asked if we could do a demo video of it. Here it is when it was brand new.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 11-28-2022, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this Ryan. You did a great job on the filming and editing. Thanks to Steve as well for his playing. I really appreciate it!

John
Old 11-28-2022, 06:50 PM

Congrats on the build and new lifetime guitar. You must live pretty close to me if you are 6 hours away. My daughter is going to SFA in Nacogdoches and it is a little over 5 hours for us.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great, John--congrats and nice work!

Another highly successful student build in the books.

Kudos to Steve and Ryan--they really do a wonderful job bringing out the best on these student guitars!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-28-2022, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats on the build and new lifetime guitar. You must live pretty close to me if you are 6 hours away. My daughter is going to SFA in Nacogdoches and it is a little over 5 hours for us.
When is your student build, Tom?

It must be coming up soon!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-28-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
When is your student build, Tom?

It must be coming up soon!
Last I heard, end of Feb.-Marchish, but there is a wedding at the end of March I must attend since it is my own, so I am not sure what Ryan has in mind except he and Steve are going to the same wedding.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguns View Post
Thanks Paul. A student guitar a palooza.... Hmmm what a idea I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving as well.

Thanks Bendandsnap!
First, the guitar sounds great and looks beautiful in the video!

We have had a mini student palooza at the original guitarapalooza called B.I.G. with the G being guitarapalooza. I think we have had 2 for sure and maybe 3 of the student builds here for the show that previous students like Vasu and Nemoman have brought. You are welcome to come in 2023 with this guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop