The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

That is so cool! The leather back is genius!
Old 10-31-2022, 09:41 AM

I love seeing that history, Bruce. Glad you still have it! And yes, that tailpiece and the leather back are pretty dang fine!
Old 10-31-2022, 10:16 AM

I must play the electric.

Do you remember what guitar you brought to Sarah's place in Belvedere when you and I met 29 years ago?
Old 10-31-2022, 12:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sarad View Post
I must play the electric.

Do you remember what guitar you brought to Sarah's place in Belvedere when you and I met 29 years ago?
Sarah Franklin! I haven't thought about her in a while. I can't be sure, but I'll bet it was this one. Of all my "personal" guitars, this guitar spent the most time in that position.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yesterday I milled the "Tree" board I showed you last week. Not only did I re-saw it, but I sanded the faces and organized it into guitar sets. There are ten sets, including the one I get as recompense for the work. I believe the owner, Pat, want me to broker some of them for him. There are 5 sets D sized, and 5 sets OM/000 sized, of which one each size is "flitch matched", which means 4 consecutive cuts both wide enough for backs and long enough for sides. I have been doing this kind of work since the beginning, and am honored that Pat took the chance on my expertise. Also, I am pleased to have performed up to his expectations. Yay me!

The first cuts, 8 in 1 3/8":

The whole board, only 6 cuts for the backs:

One of 4 OM sets:

One of 4 D sets:

A pair of the D flitch:

Close up of the "Tortoise" OM flitch:

Old 11-02-2022, 11:36 AM

Well, isn’t this a lot of good looking guitar sets, bet it’s even better looking in person.

I haven’t heard this asked before, but does the tree smell any different then other Mahogany? Since you just cut up a whole board, this may be fresh in your mind

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 11-02-2022, 12:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Well, isn’t this a lot of good looking guitar sets, bet it’s even better looking in person.

I haven’t heard this asked before, but does the tree smell any different then other Mahogany? Since you just cut up a whole board, this may be fresh in your mind
Smells just like mahogany. I collected a few pounds of dust from the re-sawibg, and in a creative moment thought it might be a decent Christmas gift for guitar weenies of mine . . .or yours (collective). Would it best be sold by the ounce or by the gram? Certainly not by the board foot. Probably should include a signed document for authenticity. At least as interesting, conversationally, as pet rocks, I'd think.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

You took a couple pics -

AWE ~ I just noticed this thread! I might need to rlurk around more often. Thanks for taking pictures of Bruce in the shop. Tim and I visited him and his wonderful wife a few years back. soon after the shop was built. We took a tour of the new shop cabin. I loved the rustic vibe. I still think of that building more than the convention centers where the Healdsburg guitar shows were displayed.

Hi Bruce. Tell the girls I said, "hello."

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 11-02-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Smells just like mahogany. I collected a few pounds of dust from the re-sawibg, and in a creative moment thought it might be a decent Christmas gift for guitar weenies of mine . . .or yours (collective). Would it best be sold by the ounce or by the gram? Certainly not by the board foot. Probably should include a signed document for authenticity. At least as interesting, conversationally, as pet rocks, I'd think.
Maybe you could advertise it and tell people that if you sprinkle some of the dust into your normal mahogany guitar, it will sound just like a tree guitar

On a more serious note, I like the smell of working with mahogany. In a past life, I worked in a pattern making shop. We use to get a truck load in of mahogany and maple at a time as we used it so much. It wasn’t so much the smell when you cut it with the saw, but when you had it on the jointer or planer. The chips had this fresh smell that was nice. Maybe instead of the dust someone could package up some of the chips off the planer and make a potpourri? Likely not a good use of this precious wood though.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 11-02-2022, 03:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Maybe you could advertise it and tell people that if you sprinkle some of the dust into your normal mahogany guitar, it will sound just like a tree guitar

On a more serious note, I like the smell of working with mahogany. In a past life, I worked in a pattern making shop. We use to get a truck load in of mahogany and maple at a time as we used it so much. It wasn’t so much the smell when you cut it with the saw, but when you had it on the jointer or planer. The chips had this fresh smell that was nice. Maybe instead of the dust someone could package up some of the chips off the planer and make a potpourri? Likely not a good use of this precious wood though.
I hate to think of what this particular wood would do if run on a jointer or planer. The wood it utterly wild.

I first learned to re-saw when I hired a pattern-maker to re-saw some mahogany and he took it as an opportunity to educate me. He is one of my role models in my ongoing willingness to pass on what I have learned.

You didn't think I was serious about the dust as a business opportunity? Watch and learn!
Old 11-02-2022, 03:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
You took a couple pics -

AWE ~ I just noticed this thread! I might need to rlurk around more often. Thanks for taking pictures of Bruce in the shop. Tim and I visited him and his wonderful wife a few years back. soon after the shop was built. We took a tour of the new shop cabin. I loved the rustic vibe. I still think of that building more than the convention centers where the Healdsburg guitar shows were displayed.

Hi Bruce. Tell the girls I said, "hello."
Hello, Mary. I will pass on you greetings.

I hope you didn't just discover my ongoing blog/thread here in the Custom Shop! Surely I have been maintaining it nearly daily for at least ten years by now. I originally learned of this forum from you, or maybe Tim.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Despite having a couple of orders to fulfill by the end of the year, neither seems to have their ducks lined up, so I am starting yet another spec guitar. While I have not yet cut out a template, I am loving the recent JB-16 Ceylon Satinwood so much I think I'll make something similar in Brazilian Rosewood.

This seem like it would make an interesting back:
Old 11-05-2022, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

That's a gorgeous set of wood, Bruce!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-05-2022, 11:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
That's a gorgeous set of wood, Bruce!
It will make an exciting looking guitar that sounds like Brazilian Rosewood, I expect.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It will make an exciting looking guitar that sounds like Brazilian Rosewood, I expect.
Only a half-century of lutherie brings such powers of foretelling!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop