The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-06-2022, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Mine's been going since 1970. I keep it trimmed and see it as part of who i am. My wife wonders what I'd look like without it but has refrained from asking for a demonstration.

But I have no mustache - they give me fever blisters. I spend seconds shaving each night but should I forget, no one notices.

think of the hours saved over the years, plus the cost of hot water, blades... Hey, I could buy a guitar with the savings.

"The BEARD Rocks"

/fixed
Old 10-06-2022, 12:40 AM

On a semi related topic, I knew I was an old guy when I went in for a haircut and took it down from sort of a Neil Young look to a butch and nobody noticed.🥸

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 10-06-2022, 07:15 AM

Default Beard

Because winter is coming and I hate to shave.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:37 AM

Years before I grew my goatee, I decided to shave off my mustache. My 16 year old daughter was horrified and wouldn't look at me until I grew it back.

Best,
PJ
Old 10-09-2022, 09:08 AM

Admittedly I didn’t read all the replies. lol. But I have a beard cause when I was 20 I was at a job where we were outside no matter what the weather. The beard helped me protect my face from sunburn in the summer and helped keep me warm in the winter. I can’t grow one very long. Much after .75 inches it starts turning in and is curly and itches horribly so I only keep it about a half inch long. Also when my kids were little they loved running their hands through it. Also it’s decent camo during deer season. I’ve shaved it a few different times through the years and I feel like I look about 5 years younger without it but as Mrs Howe from Gilligans Island once said “my looks are someone else’s problem”. Lol
Old 10-09-2022, 10:20 AM

I have facial hair for two reasons: 1) It's easier than shaving; 2) All of my favorite sex partners preferred it over the stiff stubble that shaving causes.

As soon as my beard gets long enough to require trimming, I clipper it all down to very short. I'd rather shave than futz around with shaping my beard.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:22 AM

I’m baby faced and my wife thinks I look ugly without it.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

I don't have one.
Lemming mentality.
Don't want to resemble a billy goat.
Those 3 foot long bushes are hideous IMO.

(I'm sure the slings and arrows are coming....)
Old 10-09-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
I have facial hair for two reasons: 1) It's easier than shaving; 2) All of my favorite sex partners preferred it over the stiff stubble that shaving causes.
Plus, they get to enjoy some of your breakfast leftovers mid-snog. Sounds like a win-win!
Old 10-09-2022, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I don't actually ---Had one in the early 70's,, but found it was too hot and sweaty in the summer, and collected ice in the winter. Shaved it off after about a year and 1/2 and never looked back
That ice in the winter thing was a feature, not a bug, when I was young. I spent a couple winters ski-bumming in the early 80s, when I was in my early 20s. I waited tables at night and worked on the ski mountain a few days a week and skied almost every day I wasn't working (and a little bit the days I was, just basically to get to work and back down from work). I kept my beard semi-bushy - it'd grow out about half or three quarters of an inch from my face and when I'd be skiing on a snowy day, the snow would cake on my beard and turn to a light coating of solid ice a small distance from my face, but not touching it, and it would insulate my face, sort of like a small igloo. Even when I was really hauling butt down the mountain, the exposed areas on my upper cheeks would be cold, but the area under the beard would be really comfortable. It was an accepted cold-mitigation strategy among all of the regulars on the mountain and nearly anyone who could grow a beard did. The women thought it looked goofy, but when we explained what it did, they were mildly jealous of those of us with beards. Not that they wanted beards themselves...

-Ray
Old 10-09-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Plus, they get to enjoy some of your breakfast leftovers mid-snog. Sounds like a win-win!
Conversely, I get to enjoy their leftovers mid-breakfast.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I remember telling a friend's son that I grew a beard to keep giraffes away. He didn't buy it. I even pointed out that there were no giraffes anywhere in site ( in Vermont).
Old 10-09-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Frankly, I don't get the appeal of bushy beards. The way I see it, a large part of the population is cosplaying as vikings.

That being said, I keep my beard trimmed and shaped just like I landscape. I find that having some growth keeps gravity from having its way.
I don’t get the appeal of a lot of things. Things like men wearing shorts in the dead of winter in northern states. High school boys attending their homecoming in a suit and sneakers and on and on. We’re old dudes and we’re out of it.
Bushy beards are in. One of my nephews is a marketing exec for a major company and has a beard like Abraham Lincoln. Nobody in our family gets it, but it’s the way of the world.
Personally, I don’t care…it’s his face.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-09-2022, 06:22 PM

Folks, im not buying a beard keeps you warm. it doesn't. just no.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Folks, im not buying a beard keeps you warm. it doesn't. just no.
I wouldn’t say it keeps you warm, exactly, but anytime I’ve shaved mine off anytime other than the heat of summer, my face feels colder for a few days until I get used to it. And when it’s caked with ice in the winter, that DEFINITELY keeps your face warm…

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic