The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-10-2024, 10:55 AM

Default Cannot get this pattern

I'm looking for a little help after trying way too long to figure out what the finger picking sequence is here in the first 8 seconds of this Sister Hazel song, can anybody enlighten me? Here is the link in YouTube: https://youtu.be/6R6x9TtUNRA?si=niRGx0pTTBHgdsT6

For example, something in the format:

C Em
e|---------0-----------0-----------0-----------0-------|
B|-----1-----1-----1-----1-----0-----0-----0-----0-----|
G|-------0-----0-----0-----0-----0-----0-----0-----0---|
D|-----------------------------------------------------|
A|---3-----------3-----------2-----------2-------------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------|

Last edited by shawnco999; 01-10-2024 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:05 AM

Not positive the tab is lining up on my screen-- what's the actual song?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-10-2024, 11:09 AM

Sorry I forgot to post the link in my original post - it's now updated. The song is "In the Moment" by Sister Hazel, here is the link in YouTYube: https://youtu.be/6R6x9TtUNRA?si=niRGx0pTTBHgdsT6
Old 01-10-2024, 11:19 AM

Practice the pattern in SLOW motion with your hands TOTALLY RELAXED. Even if you are playing at a snail's pace, this will burn the pattern into your muscle memory.

After practicing SLOWLY for awhile (an hour, a day, a week, etc.) then try it at a faster tempo. Eventually you will be able to play it up to speed IF you spend the time practicing in slowly.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:35 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Finger style by "patterns" goes in the same drawer as "capos are cheating," "the world is flat" and "we never landed on the moon." Get the notation with tab and learn the tune the right way otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy .

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-10-2024, 11:35 AM

Thanks 815C, I'll do that. Now just trying to figure out "what" to practice from that first 8 seconds.

Last edited by shawnco999; 01-10-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Finger style by "patterns" goes in the same drawer as "capos are cheating," "the world is flat" and "we never landed on the moon." Get the notation with tab and learn the tune the right way otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy .
Except a lot of smaller/lesser known bands don't HAVE notation/tabs available. Sometimes things just needs to be learned by ear (and eyes where possible).
Old 01-10-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
Except a lot of smaller/lesser known bands don't HAVE notation/tabs available. Sometimes things just needs to be learned by ear (and eyes where possible).
This is where I'm at, I've been unable to locate any official or otherwise accurate documentation of this song, which is why I'm now reaching out to all of you since my eyes and ears don't seem to be working out for this one. Just that first 8 seconds.... https://youtu.be/6R6x9TtUNRA?si=niRGx0pTTBHgdsT6
Old 01-10-2024, 12:46 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnco999 View Post
This is where I'm at, I've been unable to locate any official or otherwise accurate documentation of this song, which is why I'm now reaching out to all of you since my eyes and ears don't seem to be working out for this one. Just that first 8 seconds.... https://youtu.be/6R6x9TtUNRA?si=niRGx0pTTBHgdsT6
Get something like Transcribe! that can slow the tune down for you ( and repeat sections easily)

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-10-2024, 01:07 PM

Nice song. Thanks for posting this. I never heard it before but will add it to my show now. Picking isn't difficult, unless you're just starting you finger picking journey, but if I have time I'll see if I can find an easy way to show you. I can play it by just listening because it's not an unusual pattern but I'd have to actually think about what my fingers are doing.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:24 PM

It's hard to hear the audio BUT, it looks like he is hammering a secondary bass note that's not in the tab????

I study a lot of different stuff and one thing is for certain with online Tabs...since virtually anybody can post, you're going to get a lot of different versions based on that players ability and understanding (the one who posted it)

Acoustic guitar magazine has a lot of cool article/lessons. One last month was Tony Rice's 'Salt creek'.....I noticed the lesson was different from a live transcribed Tony Rice jam...then as I went around the internet I found that , although there are maybe a dozen places that allegedly have the Tab not even TWO agree exactly!!

When I was a kid I bought Led Zeppelin complete. Later on they came out with a new edition that didn't agree with the old one?!?!

"CLOSE only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades....and online guitar TAB"

It's awesome that you're that meticulous... I am too.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Hold down a 3 fingered G chord and hammer on the C note (1st fret) on the second string and an E note (second fret) on the fourth string at the same time. Practice this move by strumming it before you try fingerpicking.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post
It's hard to hear the audio BUT, it looks like he is hammering a secondary bass note that's not in the tab????

I study a lot of different stuff and one thing is for certain with online Tabs...since virtually anybody can post, you're going to get a lot of different versions based on that players ability and understanding (the one who posted it)

Acoustic guitar magazine has a lot of cool article/lessons. One last month was Tony Rice's 'Salt creek'.....I noticed the lesson was different from a live transcribed Tony Rice jam...then as I went around the internet I found that , although there are maybe a dozen places that allegedly have the Tab not even TWO agree exactly!!

When I was a kid I bought Led Zeppelin complete. Later on they came out with a new edition that didn't agree with the old one?!?!

"CLOSE only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades....and online guitar TAB"

It's awesome that you're that meticulous... I am too.
That's not online tab. That's the OP's best guess at the pattern.

As to Led Zeppelin Complete...yes, quite a mess. So much so that Jimmy Page teamed up with Alfred Music to produce the actual definitive tab book(s). Led Zeppelin: The Complete Studio Recordings https://www.alfred.com/led-zeppelin-...gs/p/00-40963/ (all the albums) but there are also individual books for each album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Get something like Transcribe! that can slow the tune down for you ( and repeat sections easily)
Even YouTube can be slowed down (accessed via the cog symbol at the bottom of video with the other controls). Not as easy to repeat sections other than manually though.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnco999 View Post
Sorry I forgot to post the link in my original post - it's now updated. The song is "In the Moment" by Sister Hazel, here is the link in YouTYube: https://youtu.be/6R6x9TtUNRA?si=niRGx0pTTBHgdsT6
The beginning is cut off, but he is playing a repeating two-bar pattern:

Downward stems are thumbstrokes (bass strings 6-4), up stems are fingers (one finger is enough, strings 1-2-3).
What happens in bar 2 is he hammers on to the 4th string after beat 1, before the thumb picks it (the open string is not picked first, just sustains across from bar 1).

As the others suggest, practice the pattern real slow. That first bar is a standard alternating bass pattern. Thumb and finger together on beat 2, then finger on the 8th between beats 3 and 4. Just keep repeating that (thumb steady on the beats) until you've got it.

In bar 2, the finger is on the 8th after beats 2, 3 and 4. The 8th between 1 and 2, as mentioned, is a left-hand hammer-on only. You can practice this bar on its own too, but you won't hear the open D as you would if you played bar 1 first. Doesn't matter, just practice getting the hammer-on between the beats - just work on the first half of that bar to start with - with the finger on 3rd string after beat 2.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:27 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

Even YouTube can be slowed down (accessed via the cog symbol at the bottom of video with the other controls). Not as easy to repeat sections other than manually though.
It's so easy with Transcribe! it's like cheating. Another neat thing it can do is add a capo position to what you are listening/watching, or lower the capo position. I use Transcribe! in
conjunction with 4k Video Downloader. That software can download Youtube videos.

Here's the download link. I have no affiliation.

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/download.html

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write