The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-09-2024, 08:56 PM

I'm not too sure keys have helped me with progressing on any stringed instrument, but they have helped my "mind's ear" a lot with understanding how music fits together as a whole. Adding keys and synth to various recordings I've been a part of, generally to tie a nice "harmonic bow" onto the package, has taught me much. I also record bed-track piano on some stuff, though I can't actually play keys; I play the left hand part on one track and add the right hand part on another track, as my timing on keys with both hands at once is too sketchy to be usable. For real piano playing I have a friend who is amazing so I just get him to do it.

So, imo, it's definitely a worthwhile thing to do, but I, personally, don't take time away from my stringed instruments to pursue it except as a specific assignment for a specific arrangement.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Learning keyboard won't make you a better guitarist. But it will make you a better musician.
Hi Jon (and all others)
I've been following this thread since it started, and the statement above is really a proper (and in my view the most important reason) reason to put some basic keyboard under one's fingertips.

I recommend it for helping people understand music better - which contributes to ANY instrument (and singing).

The posts so far have been a bit all over the map, but the original poster said he was tempted to try his kid's keyboard to see if it adds to his understanding of theory (music). Excellent idea…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-12-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Jon (and all others)

The posts so far have been a bit all over the map, but the original poster said he was tempted to try his kid's keyboard to see if it adds to his understanding of theory (music). Excellent idea…

Careful, in less than a year I went from a $100 keyboard, to a nice intermediate digital keyboard to a grand piano! Although my skills haven't advanced as much, I love playing the grand piano, and I hope one day from a lot of practice, I will give the piano the justice it deserves.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 01-12-2024, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
Careful, in less than a year I went from a $100 keyboard, to a nice intermediate digital keyboard to a grand piano! Although my skills haven't advanced as much, I love playing the grand piano, and I hope one day from a lot of practice, I will give the piano the justice it deserves.
Hi tb…
You are decades too late…

I own two synths…and play keys (strings, horns, electric pianos, organ…particularly hammond-esque patches), and atmospheric things occasionally on our Worship Team. I'll never be a concert style pianist (thankfully we have a couple of those on our teams).

I still own my less-than-$10 thrift-store, lap sized keyboard for teaching guitar players how chords are constructed, and how to voice chord inversions.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write