The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-17-2023, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I have never liked standing while playing ACOUSTIC guitar - whereas I nearly always stand while playing electric guitar...

The depth of the body makes acoustic guitar really uncomfortable for me to play while standing, so I stopped doing it decades ago - the point where I would turn down jobs if they required standing. I never equated it with being "easier" for my back, but I do know that having to reach over that body depth seemed to strain my right shoulder.

I've had more "back drama" than anyone should... and I know that SITTING is the enemy for a low back issues... and I sit all the time - playing guitar, working on songs, sitting at my desk writing, using my computer, watching TV... so I have to make sure I spend as much time as I can on my feet and moving.

Keeping my head and shoulders back while playing is a very good thing, as is sitting up fairly straight. While it is true that singing while standing is much easier, I've actually practised quite a bit to be able to sing effectively while sitting and playing. Having the neck of the guitar slightly elevated is great for a number of reasons - minimizing strain on the left arm/wrist, easier access to the entire fretboard, even easier to peek at my fretting hand when I want/need...

Setting my core while playing seated is intrinsic to lessening the effects of sitting while playing. Helps with all sitting, actually. If you don't know how to do that, check it out; you probably already do it in other endeavors and it will be easy to adapt to doing that while playing seated.

The fact that you KNOW you want to do something about this is a really good step! Now, just do your due diligence and discover what works for you... lots of good information in these replies, as well as "out there" in the interweb world!

Share what you find that's helpful for you, please...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-20-2023, 10:18 AM

Gee….I have broken my back twice an I can understand how it can hurt to sit while playing (also while standing for me).. I have a decent chair with a nice padded back. It is a “gaming” chair with arms that move out of the way. What I have ALWAYS found to work for me is to LEAN BACK into the chair. I tend to sit forward while playing and singing. When the back begins to let me know it’s there I have to slap my own head for being careless and lean into the back of the chair. Always works for me.
I have no playing difficulties leaning forward or sitting on a stool without a back rest, but I can play more pain free if I USE the backrest…..
Old 12-20-2023, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Just coming back on this.

I've been running my acoustic music club since 2006.

I always give players the choice and happily set the chairs stands etc,. for each act.

I've observed that since the end of the covid era - almost everyone sits now.

It is interesting to observe how some have mastered their posture over the years and some never do.

I'm a teacher, but it is not my place to inflict information on my paying guests, so I keep quiet.

Since I've been teaching, I have been surprised at the number of folk I've met who have posture issues seated.

It is, of course easier to develop bad habits rather than to correct them but most have resolved such issues with almost all.

The one person that I cannot help is an old friend that has a barrel chest with probably a bent spine, very short arms and open heart surgery.
He spent most of his musical career as one of the best dobro players in the country and always played with his instrument hung very low.

It is a pity as he is a great guy and a very talented musician.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I play mostly sitting, sometimes standing. My posture is terrible when I play sitting, but that's not why I stand. I don't have a bad back from it though. Sometimes I just feel like standing. Open mics and the half dozen gigs I get roped into during the summer, I like to stand. I like being able to move around a little while I play

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-20-2023, 03:38 PM

+ 1 on standing for the sake of singing. I perform and practice standing for this reason and I play both solo and with a band. Whether that will be better or worse for your back can only be determined by trying it out. I generally play two hour sets with a break at one hour.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 12-20-2023, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I was playing and singing with my friend Nick on mandolin in a local grocery store today; standing next to the lobster tank! We were drumming up support for our gig in the local cinema on Friday night. It's very handy to be able to play standing when singing. I find standing to play quite relaxing. I can get my shoulders, arms and wrists into very neutral positions.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I used to sit when I played at home. When I started doing shows again, I tried sitting. It felt confining to me. I felt trapped between the chair and the microphone. Any equipment, like amp or preamp EQ adjustments became more involved when sitting. There was nervous energy I needed to deal with also. I took to standing and I find that I move allot when performing. I can work the mic easier while standing. I sing from my diaphragm and standing also helps in that regard. I can also be more physically expressive. Think in terms of stage craft. I took to practicing while standing.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-22-2023, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I would think that sitting or standing being better, is a very specific matter as
to what is actually the cause of the back pain, and or ones posture -sitting or standing
In other words IMO there are no general or universal applications (or suggestions) that will work for everyone . IT ALL depends

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-22-2023, 09:38 PM

I find that, since I am tall, if I play seated I end up having to hunch over my guitar in order to have my hands in the correct place. Even then, the angles are not good for my hands.
I play more comfortable when standing. I found that I can play seated if I use a strap, which keeps the guitar in the same position as standing. (although I put a small pillow behind my back to keep my posture straight)
Old 12-28-2023, 10:34 PM

I sit at home, stand everywhere else. At home in my music room, everything is set up around the chair I play in. Recorder, mics, pedal board, music stand, iPad, notebook - all of it is within reach so I don’t have to put the guitar back on its stand if I want to adjust something. But I really prefer to play standing, so that’s what I do when I’m out of the house. My back is in pretty good shape for an old guy, and I’m only a little sore at the end of the night.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I hate to sound like a broken record but here we go: I had back problems and was born into a family line with practically no backside padding. The length of just about every seated playing session was regulated in pain. Then I met JR Baker at the AGF's MonroeStock, where he was showing his SoundSeat. A year later I got one of his seats. It has the Mid Back, glides, a foot ring, a foot plate, and a shorter gas lift because I have shorter legs. I set it down so that my feet are flat on the ground and my thighs are horizontal, so the guitar doesn't attempt to go on walkabout. I studied classical guitar (just enough to be dangerous) so sometimes I use classical position with the left leg up, sometimes I set both feet on the floor, and sometimes with a big acoustic I put up the right leg. As a result of the SoundSeat I can play practically forever without a break. Back and backside pain are no longer a factor in my playing.

Now I've just got to buy another for the studio where I work.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write