The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Default How to lower a Martin long through cut saddle??

I have a 00-18 Martin that I need to lower the action on about 1/64" at the saddle and have no experience with the long vintage saddle they put in these. I assume it is glued in.

Looks like I can try and pull it out with some type of flat jawed pliers on just cut the saddle from the top.

Can anybody give me direction??

David in TN
Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 AM

I believe the preferred method is to lower it from the top. Have to mask off the bridge area and take care not to go too far. It also requires re-profiling the top of the saddle. If you haven't done it, probably best to get a Martin tech to do the work.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:09 PM

The saddle is glued in -- grabbing it with pliers is a sure way to break it or, worse, the bridge. You'll have to lower it from the top, as HHP says. But lowering the saddle 1/64" will only bring the action down 1/128": is it worth it? If you mean lowering the action by 1/64", that's 1/32" at the saddle, if you have enough saddle height.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 PM

Thanks Running Dog, I got a little comfused there where I was talking measurements. I need to lower 1/64". If it must be done from the top, I think I'll take it to someone who has done it many times.

David in TN
Old 09-01-2012, 02:13 PM

HHP, thanks for the info. I'll search my local area for a martin tech after the holidays are over.

David in TN
Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 AM

You should always lower a saddle from the top. Cutting it while glued to the bridge is not hard, you just need to be careful and cover the soundboard with cardboard to avoid accidental damage.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM

Hello John!! I really didn't think about running into you here. Hope you are having a good holiday.

I have found a true professional about 25 miles from me in TN. He has agreed to look at the guitar for me. I have a little more info to add to the situation but it involves me being a dummy and I'm not going to admit it here!!

Call you tomorrow,
David in TN
Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 PM

FYI, if you need really fine sandpaper to do it yourself, go to an autoparts store, they have the best selection of very fine sandpaper. Autozone has a very good selection. Probably not what you need, but someone may. Good luck!
Eastman AC312
JTV-59

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair