The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default What do you use to cover your mics?

I have one mic I use for vocals that comes with a cover you fit over it to keep the dust off, and 2 pencil Oktava mics that didn't come with a cover. I like to leave them set up so I can just go into my studio and record if I want to. So I'm curious, if you leave your mics set up, what do you use? Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-11-2020, 11:58 AM

What’s wrong with a light cloth draped over them?
Old 06-11-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
What’s wrong with a light cloth draped over them?
the lint in the cloth gets on the capsule. I learned that the hard way, but using crown royal bags for some older mics. I bought ten bags like these which are pretty much lint free... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geekria-Hea...AAAOSwym1ef6q5

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-11-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
the lint in the cloth gets on the capsule. I learned that the hard way, but using crown royal bags for some older mics. I bought ten bags like these which are pretty much lint free... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geekria-Hea...AAAOSwym1ef6q5

/me looks askance at Crown Royal bag on Peluso mic he bought from Rockabilly69....
Old 06-11-2020, 01:50 PM

I use the free veggie bags from the supermarket.

Couch Standards
Old 06-11-2020, 02:03 PM

A plastic baggie works just fine.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
A plastic baggie works just fine.
But not the one your client left behind.

Couch Standards
Old 06-11-2020, 07:03 PM

I personally wouldn't slip a plastic bag over any of my mics. There are different material compositions and I'm not sure how you would know if off gassing of the material, particularly because it forms its own semi-enclosed environment, wouldn't eventually do damage to many of the sometimes delicate components in a quality microphone.

When my wife saw me covering mics with small hand towels she immediately made me several different covers from medium weight non-pilling cotton fabric. She has a serger and said it took only a couple of minutes to cut and sew them up. They are all made with a slot on one side so the cord can slip through while allowing the mic to be covered.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:20 AM

61120.jpg

I cover my 6 mics by putting them away.
Nice mics are a substantial investment, of course justified if you pursue high quality sound.

Sure, there are much better mics than mine; I'd love a locker full of of Schoeps, Telefunken, and Neumann treasures.
But at my income today I couldn't even replace what I have, so I baby them.
I record at home.
I never leave mics out where they could be knocked over onto the floor, or get contaminated with dust, gunk, cooking fumes, and magnetic particles.

After use my AKG 414s they go right back into their aluminum cases, but first in a ziplock bag that I do not seal.
An unsealed bag keeps out contamination but won't trap moisture if mics happen to be put away on a humid day.

My Sennheiser MD-441s, which I bought new in Germany in the 1970s, go into an unsealed ziplock bag and then into this metal box, with my Shure Beta 58As which are zipped into their original cases.
I have the original cases for my Senns, but I've seen decades-old foam disintegrate into crumblies, and these vintage mics are around 45 years old, so I protect them (and my beloved AKGs) from that possible contamination with unsealed plastic bags.

Last edited by Tico; 06-12-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-12-2020, 03:22 PM

On a separate note, that Costco Kirkland shortbread is excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Attachment 39177

I cover my 6 mics by putting them away.
Nice mics are a substantial investment, of course justified if you pursue high quality sound.

Sure, there are much better mics than mine; I'd love a locker full of of Schoeps, Telefunken, and Neumann treasures.
But at my income today I couldn't replace what I already have, so I baby them.
I record in my home.
I never leave mics out where they could be knocked over onto the floor, or get contaminated with dust, gunk, cooking fumes, and magnetic particles.

After use my AKG 414s they go right back into their aluminum cases, but first in a ziplock bag that I do not seal.
An unsealed bag keeps out contamination but won't trap moisture if mics are put away on a humid day.

My Sennheiser MD-441s, which I bought new in Germany in the 1970s, go into an unsealed ziplock bag and then into this metal box, with my Shure Beta 58As which are zipped into their original cases.
I have the original cases for my Senns, but I think foam disintegrates over time and these vintage mics are around 45 years old, so I protect them (and my beloved AKGs) from that possible contamination in unsealed plastic bags.

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 06-12-2020, 03:41 PM

Hi,
you may want to check out B&H Photo at: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ma
Old 06-12-2020, 04:45 PM

I got some of these microfiber sungalsses pouches.

Black Microfiber Sunglasses Glasses & Cell Phone Gadgets Accessories Sleeve Bag Pouch with Drawstring Closure for Cleaning, Protection, Storage (12 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017T9SMUO..._fva5EbVFZACFN
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

thanks TJN and gwlee. I looked at both of these links. I'll get the microfiber sunglass pouch. The ones I don't use for my mics I can use for my sunglasses!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD