The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-15-2020, 01:33 PM

Default Zoom H4n Recorder

I have been looking at the Zoom H4n recorder and I have seen videos where the usb cable can be connected to a laptop and you can use it like a audio recording interface. Am I able to record into a DAW using this recorder?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:15 PM

Yes, it can function as a 2 in 2 out interface and allows recording on a computer based DAW.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...handy-recorder

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-15-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Yes, Huskyman, it works like a charm that way.

I was running mine into my old desktop for quite a while using the free Audacity DAW. Simpler than transferring the files from the zoom which I found to be a bit clunky (I'm not great with technology).

Recently I acquired an iPad and now record into it. This does require a camera connector and a powered hub but the iPad is silent, my old PC was noisy. No Audacity app for iPad, so I am using Harmonicdog's Multitrack DAW which is about 10 bucks. It works fine but I confess to not really understanding how to apply the effects (I rarely use them anyway). I hear lots of good things about Auria and may give it a try.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2020, 03:04 PM

Thank you for the responses. I like to play with things and I have a need to do some recording so I may just try one of these out.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
Thank you for the responses. I like to play with things and I have a need to do some recording so I may just try one of these out.
You might want to define your recording needs carefully before jumping on an H4n. Zoom makes three recorders in a similar form factor but each has a slightly different focus.

The H4/H4n/H4n Pro series is aimed at folks who want to apply effects and do overdubbing right on the device. Only the latest, the Pro version, has the higher quality preamps that originated on the H6.

The H5 is a slightly less expensive slightly limited version of the H6, with two XLR combo inputs along with attached XY mics. Zoom emphasizes the design of the attached mics, shock mounted to reduce handling noise.

The H6 (now H6 Black) has four XLR combo inputs and attached XY mics of a slightly different design. The H6 has switchable pads on the XLR inputs. There's a rudimentary overdub capability. Earlier versions came with a Mid-Side mic attachment as well, but that is no longer included.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-16-2020, 11:35 AM

I’ve just switched from a H5 I’ve had for ages to a new H6 — I know that the preamps are said to be identical, but I am noticing less ‘hiss’ on tracks and it appears to handle a bit more sound pressure (the areas on my worktop where I position the H5 are marked in sharpie and I can get the H6 closer at the same level without getting that weird woof thing happening).

It’s very nicely made too, feels less ‘plasticky’ than the H5.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-20-2020, 10:09 AM

I love my H6. I have the stereo shotgun mic attachment which lets me move it a little further away and still get good audio. I also have the extender cable so that I can watch and adjust levels when I am recording myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD