The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-22-2002, 09:07 AM

Default Alternate Tunings

I have been trying out some of the alternate tunings used by Will Ackerman. It seems like most of what he uses require some of the strings to be tuned up a half or whole step. Not wanted to break strings or put undue pressure on my guitar neck, I have been tuning lower then adjusting with a capo. But this often requires some strings to be tuned several steps lower. The result has been unsatisfactory for reasons I won’t go into here.

Does anyone have suggestions for string brands and gauges that I can use that can take the stress of tuning up a whole step or more without breaking? Also how much risk am I putting my guitar neck in by doing this?

I have an 810-WMB. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 04-22-2002, 03:25 PM

It's going to depend on how many strings are being tuned up, and how far. In general, I try to avoid tuning UP, because you are far more likely to break strings. If you're tuning one string up a step, no big deal; but if you're tuning several strings up, or tuning more than a step up on any string, you'll probably want to drop down a string gauge (i.e., from mediums to light; or light to extra light). If you're going to use these tunings on a fairly regular basis, an experienced luthier can help set the neck up to accommodate the extra stress. If you're just doing it occasionally, you're probably fine . . .

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 04-23-2002, 12:08 AM

If you just use light stirings, tuning up a whole step on one string alright. It' will make the string weaker of coarse, but I think the sound is worth it. I wrote a song with the tuning from E-e: DAEEAE then capoed at 4. It kinda makes you cringe tuning the D up to an E, but if i dropped everything down a whole or half step, I wouldn't be able to hit some of the high notes in the song. My cutaway doesn't go deepenough to get easy access to fret 16 and up.
So I'd say, have fun and go explore the realm of alternate tunings. If ya wanna hear the song I did, lemme know and I'll send it to ya through aol IM or something. It's an acoustic song with bite! Peace to ya
Matt
Old 04-23-2002, 08:35 AM

I currently use medium gauge strings now (Martin SPs). I realize that using light strings while tuning up a step will put less stress on my guitar. But won't a lighter gauge string be more likely to snap?
Old 04-29-2002, 10:16 AM

From what I understand, the lighter string will be less likely to snap because it doesn't require as much tension as a larger string to get to a desired note. Some packs of strings will say on the pack how many ft/lbs it takes to get each string up to tune. I know how you're feeling though, I still worry that if I go to extralights, I'll snap them in a day. But lights have been doing me well. Hope that helps
Old 05-13-2002, 02:05 PM

Talking

I play alot of William Ackerman songs, mostly Michael Hedges though, I use lights on my 314ce and mostly do alot of DOWN tunings. But with the songs that I have to tune a string up with, its usually just one or two strings a 1/2 or whole step. I always make sure to retune the guitar to normal tuning though so the tension on the neck is correct.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell