The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-04-2019, 05:17 PM

Default Customer lack-of-service department.

I just came back from the drug store where I purchased a large box of Q-tips and some TP. I went through the self check-out and scanned the Q-tips and put them in a bag. I then scanned the TP and realized that the bag was too small, so, the store assistant came over and put the TP in a bigger bag. I paid for the two items and went home.

When I got home, I realized that the Q-tips were left in the small bag and called the store. I got the usual push this number for this or push that number for that or hold for the next available customer service rep. The rep. finally came on and I told her what happened. She put me on hold and went to look for the Q-tips where I told her to look. Almost 5 minutes later a guy comes on and says "Customer service, may I help you?" I relayed the same story to him and he put me on hold and went to look. About 3 minutes later, the phone went dead.

I called customer service, again, and got a different lady who answered, "customer service please hold". An hour later (just kidding) she came back and I told her the story and she put me on hold, again, and went to look. She came back and said, "Sorry, the Q-tips aren't there now".

As this was a large box of Q-tips, that was almost $6.00 with taxes, I decided to drop everything and go back to the store to check for myself. Sure enough, the box was right there beside the check-out screen where someone must have found them and put them there. I grabbed the box and left the store. I didn't feel like explaining anything to anyone and least of all to the customer service department who had a line up at the time. If I hadn't gone back right away, the Q-tips would have been gone.

I've come to the conclusion that nothing is simple in life. Why do I always get the runaround? Why does everything happen to me?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I just came back from the drug store where I purchased a large box of Q-tips and some TP. I went through the self check-out and scanned the Q-tips and put them in a bag. I then scanned the TP and realized that the bag was too small, so, the store assistant came over and put the TP in a bigger bag. I paid for the two items and went home.

When I got home, I realized that the Q-tips were left in the small bag and called the store. I got the usual push this number for this or push that number for that or hold for the next available customer service rep. The rep. finally came on and I told her what happened. She put me on hold and went to look for the Q-tips where I told her to look. Almost 5 minutes later a guy comes on and says "Customer service, may I help you?" I relayed the same story to him and he put me on hold and went to look. About 3 minutes later, the phone went dead.

I called customer service, again, and got a different lady who answered, "customer service please hold". An hour later (just kidding) she came back and I told her the story and she put me on hold, again, and went to look. She came back and said, "Sorry, the Q-tips aren't there now".

As this was a large box of Q-tips, that was almost $6.00 with taxes, I decided to drop everything and go back to the store to check for myself. Sure enough, the box was right there beside the check-out screen where someone must have found them and put them there. I grabbed the box and left the store. I didn't feel like explaining anything to anyone and least of all to the customer service department who had a line up at the time. If I hadn't gone back right away, the Q-tips would have been gone.

I've come to the conclusion that nothing is simple in life. Why do I always get the runaround? Why does everything happen to me?
Though it doesn't make this any better for you, we are all "me" from time to time and yes, it really does suck.

I suppose the good thing out of your experience is that you did get your Q-Tips because you took the initiative to at least make things right for yourself.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-04-2019, 05:56 PM
G625 mistral-k

No doubt you are frustrated and with good reason, however there is a slight level of irony of expecting any level of customer service from using a self service checkout.

Just wait a few more years when AI robots handle the situation. The drone delivery will hopefully save you the trip to the store.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:02 PM

Phone calls can be frustrating when you need to go through multiple menu options. Nothing like going back to the scene if you're capable. Glad to hear that you ended up with your q-tips. Sounds like the staff was useless on the other end.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:21 PM

Default You CAN make a difference!

hashtag qtips4guitargeorge - donate now!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Was this at Walmart by chance? I always feel sorry for the CS people there - there is always a line of people bringing in returns - and now they have the 'express' return queue and the poor ladies have to figure out who came first. And then they are also handling people coming in to cash government checks and do Western Union money transfers - and all for lousy money, non-full-time no-benefits.
If it wasn't Walmart, then its just one step removed. I've left a bag at the grocery store checkout accidentally too - but never at the self-checkout. Caveat emptor.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-05-2019, 08:28 AM

I hate the 'push this, push that' menus - especially when they take up the first couple of minutes of a premium rate number.

However, the OP did bring to mind a recent evening's entertainment playing the board game 'LOGO'.

The question (for the game) was: -
'What do you get at the end of a Q Tip?'
After much thought my friend replied...
'Chalk'

YouTube
Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 AM

I'm sorry to be harsh but dealing with this sort of thing is a matter of growing up and picking the right fights. I sure learned all that the slow and hard way.

In recent years I made it to new levels of being at peace with this sort of thing. Things got honestly bad - 3 years of cancer in the family, work issues, caring for kids, carrying on. Seeing people who had reason to be mad moving along with grace was an important wake up call.

It is important to have some understanding and empathy around frontline workers. Many are not going to be college grads. Many have to work 2-3 jobs to have annual incomes high enough to live. No matter what they face a whole lot of rude and nasty people. A lot of people in the frontline jobs would probably be better off in jobs that don't exist for them. Trying to be helpful to them for the most part helps the customer.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM

Customer service used to attract people who were more skilled and more motivated. There were many opportunities for advancement in the retail sector, or within a corporation that provided customer service over the phone. Now, it is much more likely to be a dead end job, with a fair amount of risk of being replaced by automation or outsourcing. As a result, the customer often gets less competent and less agreeable service. We have to get used to it. More clueless people reading scripts, more “chats” that are mostly automated done by folks who are multi tasking, more store clerks who are exhausted and detached.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic