The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Using Line 6 Helix with K&K question

Hi Gang,

I'm considering purchasing a Helix (floor) and had a question regarding running my acoustic guitars through it. Most of my guitars have K&K passive True Mini pickups that I run into a PADI and then into the board.

Does the Helix require the pre-amp signal from the PADI or will I be able to plug the passive pickup directly into the unit?

Also, what are your recommendations for FRFR speakers to go with the Helix?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 02-26-2018, 01:15 PM

Default yes, the helix is amazing

I use the Helix floor for my solo act thru a Bose L1 PA, you will be able to pick and choose you pre-amps, and where each effect sits in the chain. You will also be able to create snapshots of different settings within your patch. I use it with a Baggs Anthem in my Breedlove Fusion guitar (not passive), and whatever electric i bring along. I also use it with my band plugged directly into the PA and my powered FRFR speaker is a JBL EON 610 1000W (works great. 10" is all you need, really) I would check out the QSC 10" powered. The Helix has been on of the best equipment purchase I have made in a while, big thumbs up, no regerts! You will be able to add any volume required with a passive pickup, and it has a really nice gate the helps eliminate feedback.

Last edited by madmusicltd; 02-26-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:49 PM

Thanks Mad,

I'm leaning toward the QSC for the speaker but will also look at the Bose.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I second the QSC. K8.2 is great.

You can load an IR in there to blend with your K&K also.

There’s also the HX FX if you don’t need the amp modeling etc.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I second the QSC. K8.2 is great.

You can load an IR in there to blend with your K&K also.

There’s also the HX FX if you don’t need the amp modeling etc.
Between my band mate and I, we have QSC K12, K10 and K8’s. Our Favorites are the K8’s. And the K12’s are incredible. The K10’s They don’t get used much. The 8’s get it done and when we need the big guns, we grab the K12’s.

That said, for acoustic, I find the Bose L1 disperses more evenly near and far without being too loud up close and falling off farther away like a lot of conventional speakers can do.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-27-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmusicltd View Post
I use the Helix floor for my solo act thru a Bose L1 PA, you will be able to pick and choose you pre-amps, and where each effect sits in the chain. You will also be able to create snapshots of different settings within your patch. I use it with a Baggs Anthem in my Breedlove Fusion guitar (not passive), and whatever electric i bring along. I also use it with my band plugged directly into the PA and my powered FRFR speaker is a JBL EON 610 1000W (works great. 10" is all you need, really) I would check out the QSC 10" powered. The Helix has been on of the best equipment purchase I have made in a while, big thumbs up, no regerts! You will be able to add any volume required with a passive pickup, and it has a really nice gate the helps eliminate feedback.
Currently running a duo through a Bose T1 into an L1 Model 2. Just got a KSC 8.2 to use as a monitor and have been thinking of incorporating my floor Helix into my acoustic act.

Just curious what your signal path chain is inside your Helix and which IR's you found success with? Freebies online or purchased Sigma 3's, etc?

Thanks!
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 02-27-2018, 07:47 AM

I found these blog posts useful re: creating IR's and using the Helix with acoustics:

https://jimamsden.wordpress.com/2015...r-line6-helix/
https://jimamsden.wordpress.com/2016...-guitar-patch/
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
Currently running a duo through a Bose T1 into an L1 Model 2. Just got a KSC 8.2 to use as a monitor and have been thinking of incorporating my floor Helix into my acoustic act.

Just curious what your signal path chain is inside your Helix and which IR's you found success with? Freebies online or purchased Sigma 3's, etc?

Thanks!
I ended up finding/using some free IR's I found thru the Line 6 Helix forum for both my electric and acoustic patches, there are a ton out there for free (make sure you do the new 2.5 software update too) its nice that Line 6 is adding new amps and effects. I also did a search and found a nice acoustic patch to start with, (I'll scribble down the signal path when I get home for you). The Bose system for an acoustic solo act is ideal, as it has a full range, and it disperses the audio so well there is no need for a monitor. The powered wedge (FRFR) works well with the band as we use a larger PA system, and I picked up the JBL 610 for under $300 (honestly all you need), the Bose cost me an arm & leg 12 yrs ago, but well worth it once you hear the difference.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:39 AM

Thanks everyone for the great input. I ordered the Helix and a QSC 8.2 yesterday. I'm looking forward to learning how it all works together.

I'm still curious if I will need a separate preamp prior to the Helix or if the Helix will work directly with the K&K True Mini passive pickup.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

It will work directly. You can even adjust the impedance. I suggest switching to the JME Ultra Tonic though. It’s a ‘better’ K&K.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:00 AM

Thanks Aero,

I'll check out the Tonic.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I also enjoy the Helix plug in for quick acoustic jams and recording. I think it’s on sale right now. Also join the Line 6 Official Helix group on Facebook.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification