The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I will, actually the Bose outlet is much closer to me than the nearest GC. I called my local music store that does carry Bose and they said they were on order but I've heard this so many times from them. Seems like they are always about the last around to get anything new? By the time they get theirs in they might already have a new version out!
Ya.. On this sort of purchase I recommend buying from larger outfit.. Like Bose direct or GC. They have liberal and easy return policy. Where the small shops are more ridged. Not that you will need to return. But you never know.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I will, actually the Bose outlet is much closer to me than the nearest GC. I called my local music store that does carry Bose and they said they were on order but I've heard this so many times from them. Seems like they are always about the last around to get anything new? By the time they get theirs in they might already have a new version out!
I did get mine at a Bose outlet. Concord Mills North Carolina. Bought the first one. But no batteries available.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Lot of us don’t use the tone match with our newer pickups. The newer pickups were designed to product a good signal with a flat mixer. So I just leave it off. I think their tone match might improve a plain under saddle piezo.
You are correct. I learned a few things today
1- flat is best
2 - adjust the mic and UST to have more Mic
3 - turn the sound hole volume/Gain adjustment way down to about 30%

Sounds beautiful!

Last edited by Marty C; 02-09-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Lot of us don’t use the tone match with our newer pickups. The newer pickups were designed to product a good signal with a flat mixer. So I just leave it off. I think their tone match might improve a plain under saddle piezo.

Very helpful. That would explain my puzzlement at not being in love with the straight-in Tonematch with my Aura VT Enhance setup.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post

Very helpful. That would explain my puzzlement at not being in love with the straight-in Tonematch with my Aura VT Enhance setup.

I’m using the Aura VT Enhance too. Unfortunately, Martin or Fishman decided to voice this pickup with a low cut. So, I roll the tone wheel full scooped and bring the mids back with the Enhance. It sounds good but not as convincing as my previous Aura F1.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The 608i is a ~500 watt RMS system with a 10” woofer and 130 dB max SPL. I would consider it a serious medium sized system. It can handle a bar with no trouble. The Nano 300 systems have an 8” woofer with 230 watts and a lower max SPL. So, that might be a better fit for your application.
Thanks Dave. Maybe it would work for a nice, quick system for me then. I might still use a mixer just so I can have easy access to the controls for the singers and such. Just wish I could find a place that had them locally so I could try it.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
Thanks Dave. Maybe it would work for a nice, quick system for me then. I might still use a mixer just so I can have easy access to the controls for the singers and such. Just wish I could find a place that had them locally so I could try it.

That’s the hard part. But the good news is that the professional audio magazines rate the Nano 608i as on the best audio systems for its size and weight.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
I might still use a mixer just so I can have easy access to the controls for the singers and such.
The control app is free and I’m running it on a very low-end iPad mini. Might be able to find one used for less than the cost of a good mixer. Lots more control and also access to presets and scenes. Lighter and easier to mount on a mic stand too.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:20 PM

Nice thought on the mini iPad, John. When I do parties, I use a 12 inch iPad Pro for the karaoke program and the screen for lyrics--no extra monitor. So that may be a nice way to mix without having to interrupt the karaoke on the big iPad.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:16 AM

Just curious. Would you guys mind sharing your vocal settings? I know every voice is different. Just curious. I am so accustomed to my vocals with the Play Acoustic, it sounds like something is missing. With the Play Acoustic I use a little reverb, delay and doubling. I guess it’s the “thicker” vocal I am not hearing. I probably have my vocals way over processed in the Play Acoustic, but I mainly stick with a few of the factory settings. With the S1 I find a little eq adjustment goes a long way.

I also find my guitar output (volume setting) is always way lower than the vocal to get my levels even. You guys see that as well? And I am still backing off my volume setting on my guitar by 50% (Baggs Anthem SL).

Also, the different positions really do change the eq. Once I set levels and eq, I move the S1 to different positions. I find I like for floor, tilted back best. At least for me in my bonus room. At least that’s the easiest to play/monitor. I get no feedback with any. I am trying to determine if I can go for small, backyard settings without dragging a speaker stand.

Picked up a battery at GC yesterday and want to omit anything in the chain (vocal or guitar processing) and keep it simple. I am hoping I don’t need to adjust the eq and reverb a ton for different settings.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:49 AM

Default Bose S1 II (following the previous thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Just curious. Would you guys mind sharing your vocal settings? I know every voice is different. Just curious. I am so accustomed to my vocals with the Play Acoustic, it sounds like something is missing. With the Play Acoustic I use a little reverb, delay and doubling. I guess it’s the “thicker” vocal I am not hearing. I probably have my vocals way over processed in the Play Acoustic, but I mainly stick with a few of the factory settings. With the S1 I find a little eq adjustment goes a long way.

I also find my guitar output (volume setting) is always way lower than the vocal to get my levels even. You guys see that as well? And I am still backing off my volume setting on my guitar by 50% (Baggs Anthem SL).

Also, the different positions really do change the eq. Once I set levels and eq, I move the S1 to different positions. I find I like for floor, tilted back best. At least for me in my bonus room. At least that’s the easiest to play/monitor. I get no feedback with any. I am trying to determine if I can go for small, backyard settings without dragging a speaker stand.

Picked up a battery at GC yesterday and want to omit anything in the chain (vocal or guitar processing) and keep it simple. I am hoping I don’t need to adjust the eq and reverb a ton for different settings.

Marty, the vocals with Play Acoustic are more sophisticated. Bose just gives you the verb and EQ. But, for many of us, that’s enough. The Bose boosts the gain on the 1/4” a little more than most units. So, active pickups have a good chance of being louder than a dynamic mic.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That’s the hard part. But the good news is that the professional audio magazines rate the Nano 608i as on the best audio systems for its size and weight.
Dave, I'm gonna ask you a quick question about the Nano 608i and leave it there since this is an S1 thread, but how do you move it in and out of venues? The placement of the handle seems super awkward, on the backside of the unit instead of centered like say the Bose L1 Compact. Considering its weight, it seems a pain.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:49 AM

I'm getting great sound from the S1 Pro... Plugging mic and guitar "Straight in" .. My Guitar's Baggs M80 pickup really works well.

As for vocals.... I am "satisfied" with the S1 pro and usually engage the TM on Mic only when not using my T1 or Play Acoustic (no TM on guitar ever) ...
But must say the Play Acoustic just kicks my vocal sound up a huge notch.

Although the Play Acoustic is not battery op... At this time I am fine with powered gear. Things could change this summer... When I have opportunity to play outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post

Old 02-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Dave, I'm gonna ask you a quick question about the Nano 608i and leave it there since this is an S1 thread, but how do you move it in and out of venues? The placement of the handle seems super awkward, on the backside of the unit instead of centered like say the Bose L1 Compact. Considering its weight, it seems a pain.

The way it’s weighted, there are two handles on the back of the unit. It’s fairly simple, but not super light. There is a roller bag that goes with it, which is advisable.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:12 PM

Thanks Jake and Dave. This morning I hooked up my Play Acoustic (vocal) and Zoom A3 (guitar). It brought things to a different level. Really nice sound. This is what I will go with. Very pleased with the sound. No tweaking needed. Everything set flat.

Like you Jake, when I use the battery I will go direct. Will be great for outdoors. Looking forward to summer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification