The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. Over the years I dedicated my time not only to playing but also audio-recording (mostly ProTools) and video-recording (Avid). It all comes together in these clips I suppose. And it's a lot of fun to do. I feel a bit like a painter...but the tools are not paint and canvas, but the guitar + all these great equipment we can buy/afford to buy nowadays.
So there's more to come. Glad I can share it here
Old 04-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've posted this before: Equipment check with a new recorder and nylon: Le Clochard/The Bread by Jan Akkerman.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-02-2010, 04:14 PM

Great stuff guys!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've posted this before: Equipment check with a new recorder and nylon: Le Clochard/The Bread by Jan Akkerman.

Bob
wow....that guitar sounds incredible.....great string separation! Must be a spruce top, right?

Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
wow....that guitar sounds incredible.....great string separation! Must be a spruce top, right?
Thanks! Indeed it is.

Bob

Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Get off my lawn kid

On my fingerstyle page (link in sig) are 4 nylon pieces (3 originals) played on my $99 nylon special, #3 "FRO7172009", #6 "Winters Death", #7 a famous Etude that I can't remember the name of, LOL and #9 "N7"

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
Bob,

That's one clear and bright sounding classical. Very cool! Nice tune, too. Kind of Elizabethan in feel. What kind of classical is it?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
On my fingerstyle page (link in sig) are 4 nylon pieces (3 originals) played on my $99 nylon special, #3 "FRO7172009", #6 "Winters Death", #7 a famous Etude that I can't remember the name of, LOL and #9 "N7"
Lovely playing, Barry, and I wouldn't have guessed that guitar was a $99. special. Sounds great!

Though not on your classical, I thought "Shenandoah" was very moving. Nice!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
Bob,

That's one clear and bright sounding classical. Very cool! Nice tune, too. Kind of Elizabethan in feel. What kind of classical is it?
Thanks for your kind words! I've loved that tune for years and never owned a guitar that would do it justice until my wife faked me out with a vacuum cleaner repair trip and took me classical guitar shopping. She even negotiated a killer deal, too. Thot's a Cordoba 55R.

Bob

Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Great playing, all of you!

I play the classical guitar the most, but have been fooling around with the acoustic lately.

Well, the only video I have playing a whole piece is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EawoG8T7_yE
Lots of mistakes and especially rhythm inconsistencies. It was an early shot on this piece (mostly for advice of some friends), not in the same league as you guys, but there it is... Prelude 5, from brazilian composer César Guerra-Peixe.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the video, guto! I think your "mistakes" are maybe obvious to you, but they aren't evident to most listeners, I think. Nice playing.

I liked this one that you did, too, playing snippets of different tunes and styles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gznax...eature=related

Thanks for posting, guto.

I had hoped for more responses, with all the interest in nylon string guitars. Maybe more will offer up something.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
I had hoped for more responses, with all the interest in nylon string guitars. Maybe more will offer up something.
Well, I'm not sure this will generate more interest given the fate of the "modern classical rep" thread, but you can find a lot of nylon stuff on my youtube channel.

The older videos are actually from a variety of time periods (1st Graduate Recital, mixed rep requirements); the second batch reflect my "specialization" in contemporary music. I've actually not published two more pieces from that concert (amounting to about half of it). The first is a concerto and I'm not sure about the overall performance with the piano reduction rather than string orchestra; the other is a rather extreme avant-garde kind of thing by Italian maverick (or madman) Giacinto Scelsi, and I elected not to post it mostly for fear of retaliation from more "conservative" music types.

So, caveat emptor...

www.youtube.com/gfiore83

p.s. there's some steel, too. Different stories...
Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 PM

Thanks Giacomo! You've got a lot of videos there. I'll enjoy going through them. Am watching "Da Milano Ricercare 11 and Fantasia 33" right now. Very nice sound and wonderful performance.

Your position with the guitar, using the strap, is quite unusual. The angle brought to mind Paul Galbraith, though his is way extreme. You have great control, it seems. Care to comment on why it works for you?

Thanks for posting your channel. Very cool.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 PM

Re: the strap: absolutely, although I've written at some length about it so I'm going to direct you to my website...

http://www.giacomofiore.com/archives/2009/strap-it-on
Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 PM

I had hoped for lots of recordings or videos, from all levels of player, just to show the wide range the nylon string guitar has and why the simple to the complex works so well and sounds so good on these guitars.

In the early 1960's, Peter Paul and Mary had hit after hit doing folk songs with Paul's nylon string guitar giving a lot of that signature sound. How many thousands of guitar players got started because of the folk music of the '60's? Classical, flamenco, folk, country, jazz, bossa nova, slack key, even blues can sound really cool on nylon. Strumming chords and singing songs to the most complex contrapuntal lines sound great on nylon.

Surely there are more forum members who have something to offer up to show why they play nylon strings and what nylon gives that steel does not?

A recording I did sometime back when I realized I play a lot of tunes in the key of Am, seems to have a range of genres that all work well on a classical guitar. It was easier and more fun to do this recording, because I didn't have to get each tune up to snuff all the way through to do it. It's just bits and pieces played one after another, all in Am.

http://www.davidhilyard.com/download...or_Thing_1.mp3

Kind of a mix of tunes that I expected might come out of this thread from all the members. Maybe it will, yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical