The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 AM

This is an interesting thread.

K & K are just about the only leading manufacturer I haven't tried and I was going to install one on my new Patrick James Eggle. However, on reading this and the other thread about string volume imbalances, it has made me wonder why they have had such support on AGF in the past.

I have various Baggs and Fishmans in my other guitars and think I'll stick to them - that K & K pre amp is huge to install onboard and I don't want floor clutter.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Ray. I've installed KK PU's in a Ryan, (3) Goodalls GC, (2) Charis GC and a few others and the only one that had any of the issues mentioned was when I installed the full size KK. That was actually my first install before KK started recommending the mini for most if not all guitars.

I use the KK Quantum blender to mix the pu with mic and get a very natural tone. If I run it to the Ultrasound I just adjust the bass/treble accordingly but really don't need to do much.

Many others here at the AGF have found other preamps to work very well with the KK PU's Larry/LJGuitar successfully uses 3 or 4 different preamps.

You may want to give them a try and see for yourself.

Psalm 150:4 Praise Him with tambourine and dancing, praise Him with the strings and flute!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Raystrack - String Imbalances More Prevalent in UST's Than SBT's

Aloha Raystrack,

I've used many pickups in the last 35 years since they first came out. I've used or heard most of the most recent UST pickups to which you refer. By comparison, you are more likely to develop string-to-string imbalances over time with a UST than an SBT such as the K&K - no matter WHO does the installation. That's a fact based on every one I've owned crapping out that way, no matter the manufacturer or installer.

I love great mics and hate ALL pickups. I couldn't imagine using ANY one of them as a single sound source alone any longer, including a K&K. But I need them for performing.

I have K&K/internal mic combos in my three gigging guitars for a good reason. Through careful blending, excellent preamplication and great EQ (I use a Pendulum SPS-1), I can dial in that pickup and dual source system to produce the most natural acoustic guitar sound I've ever been able to in 45 years of regular gigging. That's saying a lot considering all the systems, pickups and combos I've tried.

Try the K&K mini or a PUTW #54 or a Schertler DYN-G (mounted inside) in your new guitar, preferrably in a dual system such as combined with an external or internal mic, etc. Always Use Great EQ if you are a gigger. You may even decide to leave the potential imbalances and other issues of UST's behind you.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 02-08-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi $w…
I have K&K in 4 different gutiars. I own 5 preamps including a K&K preamp. They are all good for adjusting tone...I really don't find the K&K any better than my other pickups at adjust tone.

They do trend toward bassy. Both the ''regular'' K&K and ''mini'' are more bassy, but the ''regular'' K&K really gets mega-over-bassy. I have a friend with one of these and we just turn the bass off and then bring back in a touch (and it then sounds fine).

By the way, K&K pickups do sound better with a preamp, and turning the bass down is allowed. That is why preamps and amps have adjustable tone controls.

A few questions...
Is yours the mini or a regular one?
What are you playing into/through?

I'm using the KK Ultra Preamp with my PWM in my Dread. Just what is said above is right. Turn the Bass all the way off and bring it back up just a tad.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Schertler DYN-G (mounted inside) in your new guitar
Hi Chris,

Has anyone actually done this - mounting inside?

Thanks,
JP
Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 AM

Hello all,

I run the trinity system (PWM and Mic) into my Rane AP-13. I find I usually need to cut the 100Hz on my Pickup. Sometimes I'll drop the 40Hz and 250Hz sliders as well. I do have a Sunrise in the guitar as well and I'm working out a good blend on that at the moment. I cut most of the bass on the Mic as well though and use a blend of about 60/40 or whatever I can get away with depending on volume. Important to note don't point your guitar at the speakers, you're inviting nasty boomy feedback and that mic can start cat-screeching as well, which isn't good for those speakers.

Thanks,
JP
Old 02-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Raystrack,

......Try the K&K mini or a PUTW #54 ......

alohachris
Thanks for this and the other replies to my 'thread within a thread'.

When I checked out Doug Young's excellent site and samples I was impressed with the PUTW 54 but we don't seem to get them in the UK.

I have a Baggs Element in my Charis which works well, fitted an iBeam into my Brook which gave me feedback, a Fishman Matrix in my Goodall which works fine and a Baggs Element (higher spec than the one in the Charis with vol/tone controls) in my Doerr which is OK but very quiet.

A good friend is about to fit a K & K - I'll see how he gets on. I have an old Martin belt clip pre amp which I could use with a Western Mini but I'd rather not have to use externals - more wires and faffing about.

Shame no one has matched Taylor's ES - not everyone's choice but I reckon it's great, certainly ergonomically - being able to change batteries externally is a major plus.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Remember the 1-Meg resistor across the output trick. Works great at rolling off the bass for PUTW SBT's, but also for K&K (which is the context I first heard about it.) I tried it with my PUTW with fair success, until I switched over to Takamine. I switched to Takamine CTP-2/Palathetic pickup guitars, and my pickup/preamp problems are OVER, but the above trick works sometimes for those that need it.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
Remember the 1-Meg resistor across the output trick. Works great at rolling off the bass for PUTW SBT's, but also for K&K (which is the context I first heard about it.) I tried it with my PUTW with fair success, until I switched over to Takamine. I switched to Takamine CTP-2/Palathetic pickup guitars, and my pickup/preamp problems are OVER, but the above trick works sometimes for those that need it.
I did this awhile a go, although I used a 1.3MOhm resistor for the 5Mohm input of the Rane AP13 - I did the Math and this is what I came up with. It did make a different but not as much as I would have liked. I still need to cut bass. Externally my Lakewood D54 isn't a massive sounding guitar with huge low end. It solid and really well balanced for a Dread. But it still needs bass adjustment - what ever is going on inside.

FWIW I tried the K&K directly into my soundcards preamp (Emu 1616 with Neutrik preamps @ 1MOhm impedance) using a standard TS cable. 1MOhm is the optimal input impendance. It still sounded a bit boomy. My Sunrise in the same situation had as much bass or more but the clarity was much better and no boom.

So be aware that while the resistor probably will help you may also need to adjust the low frequencies as well. (On my Rane I cut 40Hz a bit, almost all 100Hz - my feedback frequency on this guitar - and may adjust the 250Hz as well).

Thanks,
JP
Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Default got my FISHMAN pro plat eq

Fixed the problem!!!..it makes all my guitars sound great. with the k&k just turn the bass all the way off then up just a little....THANKS GUYS!!!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

uuuhhhh...been a while since I have been here but I can comment on KK mini...I have had them in about 7-8 guitars of all sizes and find that they are the BEST pickup I have ever used as foar as placement and string balance. It is hard to get them wrong if the sensor is close to the right place. As far as being bass heavy, I disagree. Yes, the original certainly was but the mini is not. I find that the KK pre amp works well with it and I have used several other pres. the KK is simpler and really matches up well. Hey, the flatter the guitar response, the flatter the pickup signal. If you have a guitar that is bass heavy...guiess what. Anyway, keep working with it with eq and you should be able to find a good place. To my ear, they are the best single source pickup out there. I have used them loud in bands with huge monitor systems and in all sorts of other configurations. With the right eq, they work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification