The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)
Default Best book/DVD for learning 12 string guitar

I wondered if anyone could recommend a good resource for learning the special challenges of a twelve string?

I would classify myself as 'an advanced beginner' on the six string, so would not want something that assumes too much about guitar knowledge.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
I wondered if anyone could recommend a good resource for learning the special challenges of a twelve string? I would classify myself as 'an advanced beginner' on the six string...
There is nothing more to learn about a twelve string except how to tune the extra strings, for which there are many videos on YouTube.
If you are going to get a twelve string, try them out for awhile in stores. It takes a strong hand even on a good guitar with a low action. I have a very good one that I do fingerpicking on, but it still compressed and hurt the thumb tendon that presses on the back of the neck. Had to have some shots in that joint, and then an operation.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

The only thing I know of that specifically explores 12-string is Chris Proctor's Homespun video, Techniques for Contemporary 12-String Guitar. Probably more advanced than what you're looking for, but maybe worth watching just for ideas.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
I wondered if anyone could recommend a good resource for learning the special challenges of a twelve string?

I would classify myself as 'an advanced beginner' on the six string, so would not want something that assumes too much about guitar knowledge.
Hi TJE, I'm wondering what you consider as the "special challenges" you mention?

I find the 12 string is slightly easier to play than my 6 strings, once you get the things in tune of course.

As regards, tuning, most of us (I imagine) tune our 12s one tone down (D to d).

My two 12 strings are both strung with medium gauge strings - 54/30 to 12/12, (EJ37s on the Martin an M190s on the Harmony),

The Harmony has a 2" nut width but the Martin is only 1 & 7/8" which is a bit thin for 12 strings, so fretting needs to be a bit more cautious.

Here they are compared :

This is how they work best,

The Martin:

This is the Harmony :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write