The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Tried new setup today: QSC k8.2 as main, Bose S1 as remote

We played the first of a 5-show Christmas brunch run today at a brunch spot we've played a few times. In the summer it's outdoors on nice days and a great place to play. In winter or inclement weather we're indoors. Like many restaurants, it's a challenge due to there being multiple seating areas.

This place has a decent sized lobby which leads to a long, open seating area that heads toward the back. Then to the right is the main kitchen and seating area with tables, and a bar (open kitchen behind the bar). In the past we've played in the far corner of the lobby and just used the S1. A fair amount of music is dispersed but the kitchen area and the far seating at the long end don't get much sound.

Today I worked with the owner and we set up so the main speaker would be pointing down the long area which would cover that well. Then I came up with a good idea: I happen to have an XLR -> 1/4" adapter so I used our QSC as the main and then ran the signal out wirelessly using my Xvive U2 system to send the QSC output to the Bose which we put up on a soda cooler in the main kitchen/dining area. I could have done it the other way around but the smaller, lighter and battery operated Bose was the better choice in the smaller kitchen/dining area as I didn't need power and putting it up high on the soda cooler was easy.

It worked wonderfully and the owner was thrilled to be able to hear the music like we were playing right next to her as she cooked on the grill! Since the S1 and the Xvive systems are battery it was very simple to do. We'll do this again for the next four shows there coming up. Great to have choices. The QSC k8.2 sounded REALLY good as the main. This is the first time we've used it. I think I would probably be better served with two S1's but I love having the power of the QSC should I ever need it which so far we have not. But someday we surely will.

Last edited by Methos1979; 12-03-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:57 PM

Hey Methos-
I just bought a second S1, and will be trying different combinations with 2 S1s.
I can run traditional stereo with a ZED 10FX mixer (one guitar- 2 vocals, the lead player uses a small Mesa amp, and bass player uses the new Mesa bass amp/cabs). I can also use one as a monitor to feed the second one on a stand behind and above us. That is probably what I will do with my solo gigs.

I also have a QSC K8 in the event I need more coverage. The wireless units work fine to send the signal to a second S1- I have BOSS WL50 and WL20 units. Glad it worked for you.
davidc
Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM

Methos,
I wanted to ask you if there was any lag time from the k8.2 to the S1 when you used that Xvive U2 wireless set up? I find this fascinating. Thanks,
frankie
Old 12-16-2018, 03:20 PM

The Bose S1 Pro is definitely a sound solution for small spaces. That wireless guitar transmitter/receiver operates in the 2.4GHz ISM Worldwide operating band, so there should not be any audible latency, @Chickee .
Old 12-16-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
The Bose S1 Pro is definitely a sound solution for small spaces. That wireless guitar transmitter/receiver operates in the 2.4GHz ISM Worldwide operating band, so there should not be any audible latency, @Chickee .
Thank you for the response, ricdoug😉
That would eliminate the TRS cable between speakers. I like that idea.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:15 PM

Cool solution. The wireless was a great idea.
The battery power option on the S1 in this situation was definitely a huge plus!
Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Methos,
I wanted to ask you if there was any lag time from the k8.2 to the S1 when you used that Xvive U2 wireless set up? I find this fascinating. Thanks,
frankie
Sorry for the delay in responding. No delay noted. I've now used this setup in two additional shows at the same venue with two go and so far it continues to work great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification