The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM

Default Urgent Help Needed- new Bose L1

Hi all- I have a big gig planned for Thur night and I was planning on using my brand new Bose L1 model 2 with B1 and the new T4 mixer. My fx and EQ come from a voicelive 3.

The problem is that the Bose has been delivered to my office today, and my office has closed due to bad weather until Thur morning so I cant get to it to try it ou- was planning on setting it up and testing before I gig with it which isnt gonna happen now

So my question is how instinctive is the system? I will have about 2 hours from getting to gig before I go on- I can run the mixer fairly flat due to the VL3. Are there any pitfalls I need to know about when using one for the first time?

Cheers

Reggie

http://www.indigoacoustic.com
http://www.richardmillnsmusic.com
Old 02-27-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiedadog View Post
Hi all- I have a big gig planned for Thur night and I was planning on using my brand new Bose L1 model 2 with B1 and the new T4 mixer. My fx and EQ come from a voicelive 3.

The problem is that the Bose has been delivered to my office today, and my office has closed due to bad weather until Thur morning so I cant get to it to try it ou- was planning on setting it up and testing before I gig with it which isnt gonna happen now

So my question is how instinctive is the system? I will have about 2 hours from getting to gig before I go on- I can run the mixer fairly flat due to the VL3. Are there any pitfalls I need to know about when using one for the first time?

Cheers

Reggie
Best thing you can do is to read the manual, which you can download from the Bose site. Even just the quick set-up guide will give you a plan. I had to use one for the first time for a show a few years back and that's all I had to go on until set up time an hour before playing. It worked out just fine. Get there early if you can!

Louis
Old 02-27-2018, 04:00 PM

If you already own (or can borrow) a mixing board, you might consider, for this gig, to use that and run it to the Bose as a line in ... until you get time to get acquainted with the T4.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Best thing you can do is to read the manual, which you can download from the Bose site. Even just the quick set-up guide will give you a plan. I had to use one for the first time for a show a few years back and that's all I had to go on until set up time an hour before playing. It worked out just fine. Get there early if you can!

Louis
I would bring along a female XLR to 1/4 inch TRS cable to plug the VoiceLive 3 directly into the L1 base unit rather than through the T4 mixer. That way you will have at least your guitar and vocals with nothing but a volume control between you and the audience.

In fact, I would always run it that way, but particularly this time!
Old 02-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Having moved from a larger, traditional PA to a Bose 7 years ago, I found there is a learning curve to getting the best sound... unlike cabinets on stands, with a monitor, you don't have to blast the sound with your Bose. Set it up behind you and to one side, and the sound you get will be what the audience hears. Back when I first used mine with an audience, I was louder than necessary.

I haven't used a T4, but from what I've read about it, there will be plenty of tone options. Other than checking the coverage, you won't have to go "out front" to gauge the tone. With limited time to try all the tone options, it might be best to pick the ToneMatch that is closest to your type of guitar, then make minor adjustments from the guitar. In front of a crowd isn't the time to "try this setting, then that setting."

Beyond that, enjoy the gig. I am firmly in the Bose camp for both sound and set-up. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:00 PM

I have used a couple Bose systems over the years... fairly easy set up... running flat to start with no time to tweek much should work... you already know your Voicelive 3 so go with what the Captain suggested which makes a lot of sense. I use my wee Bose Compact and a T1 and it works great.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM

after all that all gigs this weekend have been cancelled due to the snow (the UK grinds to a halt at the smallest bit of snow...but to be fair there has been a lot this time, and people are not going out to pubs!)

At least I have the weekend to get used to the system now!

Rich

http://www.indigoacoustic.com
http://www.richardmillnsmusic.com
Old 03-01-2018, 05:15 PM

Well that is a bonus I guess... cold here too... only gonna be around 70... Fahrenheit.... and Sunny... if that helps.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification