The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 09:58 PM

Smile

Congrats! So happy for the both of you. You guys will get years and years of enjoyment from that guitar.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM

I'm very happy for your son and you !!! my first serious guitar back in 1972 was a Yamaha FG300, a guitar that served me well through its first 5 years of life. It was a great decision on my part as it's quality was inspirational for the musical growth of my younger soul, I'm sure you will learn to appreciate your choice of instruments as you learn and grow. I also had a NGD on wed. and someone helped me with posting a photo, so I am just returning the favor here for you guys !!! Enjoy your new Yamaha, I also bought a new Yamaha !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fg800.jpg (5.3 KB, 147 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 12:06 AM

Nice!
FG series is good enough for years to come.
Budget guitars are pretty good quality nowadays.

Now save some and get another used fg.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:53 AM

Congratulations on your new Yamaha! I have a FG800 that came in last month and it is a great strumming guitar! Keep on playing and enjoy very much your new guitar! Once again, congratulations a good choice!!
Old 06-23-2018, 01:52 AM

Based on your story, you two will make any guitar work! Great dad, and a great kid. Thanks for sharing
Old 06-23-2018, 04:15 AM

Congrats! Now go to https://www.justinguitar.com/, pick out a song your son likes, and start playing music.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Whoo Hoo! congratulations. You really did your homework.

Now go practice!
Old 06-23-2018, 04:59 AM

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out and congratulations to you both.
I had a similar experience with my grandson a few years back. Now we jam together on a regular basis as he has become a pretty decent player. What a great joy! Have fun.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-23-2018, 05:05 AM

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and your encouragement in our amazing new adventure together! It was an incredible day...just the start of many more to come with our new found love!!!

I must admit however, while at the store yesterday, I had a thought go through my head: "for just $60 more than this FG800, I could get two guitars and he and I could be playing at the same time (some combination of: Yamaha F335, Epiphone PR-150, Epiphone PRO-1, Ibanez GD10, etc.)."

Again, I appreciate all that each of you has done to help me make the best decisions for myself, but more importantly for my son!!!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 06-23-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 AM

Great story! Glad to hear you guys found something that works for you both. So happy to hear.

I hope you enjoy it and that you can continue to share this together.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:42 AM

How awesome! I'm a bit jealous. Even though they love music My kids have never been that interested in picking up the guitar. Enjoy the time and the music together!!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Enjoy playing and learning together.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:01 AM

Congratulaions, and GREAT choice TripleB

Both you and your son already have great taste in guitars!

You just can not beat Yamaha...and not just in the low end price range. They make absolutely terrific guitars in all price ranges...even in the $3k and up range.

Perhaps one of our super good pic tech guru's can reach out to you to help you with the picture upload.

Have a wonderful beginning to a great lifelong...if you want it to be...journey! Both of you!!!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-23-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and your encouragement in our amazing new adventure together! It was an incredible day...just the start of many more to come with our new found love!!!

I must admit however, while at the store yesterday, I had a thought go through my head: "for just $60 more than this FG800, I could get two guitars and he and I could be playing at the same time (some combination of: Yamaha F335, Epiphone PR-150, Epiphone PRO-1, Ibanez GD10, etc.)."

Again, I appreciate all that each of you has done to help me make the best decisions for myself, but more importantly for my son!!!
TripleB
Enjoy the guitar! I still enjoy playing guitar with my dad (and I'm 25 haha). Personally, I would say you made the right choice, the better guitar you have the more you'll wanna play in my experience and the easier and more fun it will be. Plus, for a while, you probably won't want to play together that much as this is much harder. Welcome to the guitar family, and hey post some pictures of the guitar.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-23-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
Enjoy the guitar! I still enjoy playing guitar with my dad (and I'm 25 haha). Personally, I would say you made the right choice, the better guitar you have the more you'll wanna play in my experience and the easier and more fun it will be. Plus, for a while, you probably won't want to play together that much as this is much harder. Welcome to the guitar family, and hey post some pictures of the guitar.
That's awesome....I hope my son still wants to hang around me when he's 25 (I'll be 65)!

I think I made the right choice as well - while it would be nice learning the basics of playing and the fingering of the chords together, I think having a better quality guitar is probably more important right now (knowing I've got something that will last until he's 25...and longer). Plus I like the way JustinGuitar teaches the basics and my son don't care for him...so it was going to be a struggle learning the newbie material together anyway.

I have a great picture of him holding the guitar but can't find an easy way to post it. Tried using the AGF app but it said I didn't have permission to post. Don't have any other apps or programs that I can use to upload the photograph.

I appreciate your input!

TripleB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion