The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-21-2018, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Default How about a Telecaster for $450 or less?

These B-Stock telecasters are listed on Reverb for $479, but they are on make an offer and you could probably get them for under $450, and maybe $400- delivered! B-Stock from Music 123 has always been excellent- I have never been able to find any flaw, and my guess is they are mostly demos. Anyway, just passing it along.

These are Standard Telecasters, MIM. My guess is that since the new ones came out, they are trying to move out some store demos. As you know, Music 123 is part of the GC/MF family. They respond pretty quickly to offers.

I would offer $375 and see if they bite. I am pretty confident they would go for $425, so there is nothing to lose.

https://reverb.com/item/13247538-fen...aple-fretboard

https://reverb.com/item/13247537-fen...aple-fretboard
Old 06-21-2018, 01:10 PM

as long as they have a return policy, nothing to lose. go for it.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-21-2018, 04:22 PM

My Nashville Tele was advertised as 'used' when I bought it, but was apparently under the same circumstances as these on Reverb. It still had the pickguard plastic, stickers, etc and was a new guitar for all intents & purposes. I was pleasantly surprised and it has been the most guitar for the least amount of money I think I've ever bought.

At that price (or a lesser offer if they take it) you can still upgrade pickups, etc and still have it 'pencil out'.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

I love 'budget' priced teles - to me it is part of the telecaster ethos - simple, to the point and inexpensive, so while I totally get the high end tele market (Fender AVRI and Nash etc) I think the MIM and CV Teles are really in keeping with the original point of the instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
These B-Stock telecasters are listed on Reverb for $479, but they are on make an offer and you could probably get them for under $450, and maybe $400- delivered! B-Stock from Music 123 has always been excellent- I have never been able to find any flaw, and my guess is they are mostly demos. Anyway, just passing it along.

These are Standard Telecasters, MIM. My guess is that since the new ones came out, they are trying to move out some store demos. As you know, Music 123 is part of the GC/MF family. They respond pretty quickly to offers.

I would offer $375 and see if they bite. I am pretty confident they would go for $425, so there is nothing to lose.

50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 06-22-2018, 12:02 PM

MIM teles are solid instruments.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
MIM teles are solid instruments.
I love mine. Slapped some Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups on it, and it’s a tone monster....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-22-2018, 05:53 PM

Just picked up a cheap Fender Squire Tele from GC and it`s Amazing!. Fit and finish is very fair,no tool marks and put together well and Surprise!!!..The Electronics are really good,the pickups really Bite!!!. Took it out of the box,tuned it up and Jammed some rock through my Fender 100w Champion. And All for $179!!!. It has that Real Tele Twang and looks pretty solid. Been playing for over 30 yrs and always wanted one...This`l do!.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:29 PM

You might look into this knock-off Tele.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_hbt1952.htm

It's a company in Germany, and from what I can tell is on the up and ups. I'm actually thinking of grabbing one. There's a bunch of reviews on YT if you want to check it out.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:

A lot of times B Stock could be last years models as well and the warehouse is just trying to clear them out.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:05 PM

Yes, make a low offer on a Standard Tele, since I'm sure that you are right in thinking that the market is soon going to be flooded with bargains when Sweetwater and MF/GC and other retailers blow out the remaining stock, as the new Player series gets well underway.

I own a MIM Standard, and it's a very nice guitar, although I didn't care for the stock hotter ceramic pickups at all, as they were noisy and a bit shrill. But that's an easy fix, since there are lots of excellent replacement Tele pickups to choose from. I bought Wilde Bill Lawrence Keystones - they were cheap and they sound great. And I put in a 4way switch, as well, in order to get a midrange rich humbucker sound.

But it I were you, I'd hold out for a low price on a MIM Standard (I'm thinking they will soon go as low as $300) and then replace the meh pickups. You'll have a top grade Tele for cheap.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Yes, make a low offer on a Standard Tele, since I'm sure that you are right in thinking that the market is soon going to be flooded with bargains when Sweetwater and MF/GC and other retailers blow out the remaining stock, as the new Player series gets well underway.

I own a MIM Standard, and it's a very nice guitar, although I didn't care for the stock hotter ceramic pickups at all, as they were noisy and a bit shrill. But that's an easy fix, since there are lots of excellent replacement Tele pickups to choose from. I bought Wilde Bill Lawrence Keystones - they were cheap and they sound great. And I put in a 4way switch, as well, in order to get a midrange rich humbucker sound.

But it I were you, I'd hold out for a low price on a MIM Standard (I'm thinking they will soon go as low as $300) and then replace the meh pickups. You'll have a top grade Tele for cheap.
This isn't me. I already have a couple. I was just posting a good deal. I'd be surprised if they were $300. I'm sure Fender has been drawing down inventory in anticipation of the new release.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
This isn't me. I already have a couple. I was just posting a good deal. I'd be surprised if they were $300. I'm sure Fender has been drawing down inventory in anticipation of the new release.

Gotcha. $300 is speculation, but plausible (not for the specific Reverb link you've posting, but for where the MIM prices may be headed), given that it is half off MAP price for the model, and MF's sales strategy is based on blow outs. Depending on how many MIM Standards they and GC and Sweetwater already have in stock, of course, will determine just how low they will set the clearance prices. But certainly the new Player series seems to be an upgrade of an already very good entry-level Fender branded guitar.

Last edited by jomaynor; 06-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars