The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaro738 View Post
and guys, my english is not perfect yet haha i'm learning. thanks for answer me
Thanks. Okay, how about the pick up selector on the Zoom A3. Which setting do you use? Now what guitar and body type did you select?

Thanks for using English! It's the only language I know. I greatly respect your learning another language! Thanks for your advice on the Zoom A3!

Sorry, I just saw from the other post you don't yet own the Zoom A3 and are looking to purchase. I will share my experience when mine arrives.

Last edited by Marty C; 05-30-2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Updated post
Old 05-30-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks. Okay, how about the pick up selector on the Zoom A3. Which setting do you use? Now what guitar and body type did you select?

Thanks for using English! It's the only language I know. I greatly respect your learning another language! Thanks for your advice on the Zoom A3!

Sorry, I just saw from the other post you don't yet own the Zoom A3 and are looking to purchase. I will share my experience when mine arrives.
yeah haha i don't have it yet ! thinking about to buy it or 3 pedals
Old 05-31-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaro738 View Post
hey guys. thanks for helping me. i have a question for you. i wanna start to use effects on guitar, reverb (some modulate), and i need a EQ cuz my pickup is the lr baggs anthem sl...without eq, some times it gets too low on eq. my question is: Buy a Zoom A3 or buy three pedals ( boss rv6, boss GE7 and a cheap tuner pedal)?

i spent a lot of money on my pickup and my fear is zoom a3 suck my sound, lose quality and signal cuz is a digital stompbox. so...what you guys think ? i know that stompbox is better than multiFX but is cheaper buy the zoom a3 but i dont want that problems...
In terms of sound, the A3 is very good, so no worries about it "sucking sound". However, you can only chain together 2 effects (plus guitar body modeling if you use it). That's not a lot. You wrote you want reverb, modulation and EQ. Reverb and modulation will work, but you will not be able to use EQ as an effect patch. You can then only use the 3 EQ knobs on the unit. This will be fine if you use it for only one instrument, but if you switch to another, you will need to turn the knobs. And of course the knobs don't give you as much EQ control as an effect patch EQ would.

I highly recommend the A3 over multiple pedals, if it has enough effect patches for you. I could even imagine chaining TWO A3s together would be OK, using the first one for, maybe, compression and EQ, and the second one for modulation and reverb. If you instead buy various other pedals and chain them together, that is probably going to suck a lot more sound than one or two A3s.

For me, the A3 would be perfect if I could kill the modeler (which is OK but not needed for my great pickups) and instead have a 3rd effect patch. Then I would use compressor + modulation or delay (on/off) + reverb. A little bit of compression can make fingerpicking and strumming much more appealing. As I write these lines, I'm seriously considering buying a second A3 so I can chain them together as mentioned above, for a total of 4 effect (plus modeling). Then I could even add in an EQ patch for each instrument. Thanks for indirectly getting me into that mode of thinking. :-)
Old 08-06-2017, 05:53 AM

HI there,
I'm mostly an electric guitar player, but I want change that. I've Marshall Cumberland jc28 1997 model, and I just bought a Fender acoustasonic 40, and a TC Bodyrez (that hasn't arrived yet). I'm wondering if the A3 could do any good for my sound, or it is redundant since I bought the bodyrez.
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:16 AM

The Zoom A3 will give you pristine audio quality, plus the use of 2 effects simultaneously (besides body resonance, if you choose to use it). If 2 effects are enough for you, then you'll love this unit. Unfortunately, the 3rd effect slot is occupied by the body rez simulator, and you can only turn it on (set for a particular source and target guitar) or off. In my opinion, the body rez settings on the Zoom are quite subtle, and therefore very usable, thus making your extra body rez pedal superfluous. Not only that, but adding any device in your chain is likely to degrade the overall sound a bit. If I were you, I'd give the Zoom's body res settings a spin and see if you like them well enough to not use the extra body rez pedal. For different songs you can even store patches with different rez settings, and then cycle through them via the footswitch.

I personally never use the Zoom's rez feature because I feel it doesn't do justice to the fantastic undersaddle pickup + internal mic'ed signal coming from my Martin D-45. If I, for example, chose a dreadnaught as the source and target guitar, the bass end becomes a wee bit too "boomy" for me to handle on stage. With a guitar that is weaker in bass to start with, that could be an asset, of course. By contrast, I can set a smaller guitar as the target guitar, but for some reason I don't like castrated or adultering the natural sound of a beautiful Martin. ;-) The only thing I add are a touch of EQ, plus compressor and reverb, or chorus and reverb (without compressor, because only 2 effects can be run). If I had designed the Zoom A3, I would have made the rez simulator optional and replaceable by a third effect.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:26 AM

Smile

Thanks SongJoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
zoom a3 pedal