The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2012, 02:15 AM

there is somebody to say their opinion?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
thanks my friend
You're very welcome!

Louis
Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 AM

I have no experience with the Soundcraft EFX 8, but I do like the Allen & Heath ZED-10FX. It suits my needs quite nicely.

cotten
Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 AM

it can connect a such small blender, in a console? , in system PA?that is to say I connect guitar-small blender-and afterwards in console with final amplifier?

Last edited by ntik; 05-16-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM

I'll say this - I haven't used the EFx8. However, I have owned both an A&H Zed 12 FX and Zed 10 FX. I was shuffling around. I got the 12FX, then I wanted something smaller, so I got the 10 FX, then I needed more inputs but didn't want anything quite as big as the 12FX, so I got the Soundcraft MFXi 8. All were good units, but I prefer the effects, features and even quality (not that A&H quality is poor) of the Soundcraft.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
I'll say this - I haven't used the EFx8. However, I have owned both an A&H Zed 12 FX and Zed 10 FX. I was shuffling around. I got the 12FX, then I wanted something smaller, so I got the 10 FX, then I needed more inputs but didn't want anything quite as big as the 12FX, so I got the Soundcraft MFXi 8. All were good units, but I prefer the effects, features and even quality (not that A&H quality is poor) of the Soundcraft.
you did not like zed 10?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
you did not like zed 10?
I liked all of the mixers. I switched from the Zed 10 FX to the Soundcraft, because I found myself suddenly needing more inputs (and also wanted some of the bus routing options the Zed 10 didn't provide), but didn't want to go back to the Zed 12 FX because it was so bulky. The MFXi 8 had more features than the Zed 12 FX, but was about in middle size-wise between the Zed 10 FX and the Zed 12 FX, so I took a flyer on it, and ultimately, found it to be better to my liking in just about every way.

When comparing the Zed 10 FX and the EFx8, you have a lot more options/inputs on the EFX, but it's 1/3 more in price. I think if I only needed 4 XLR inputs (like the Zed 10 FX has), I would be looking at the Soundcraft Notepad 124FX....it's like 1/2 the price of the Zed 10 FX. Of course, neither have channel mutes, which may not seem like a big deal, but really is kind of a pain sometimes.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
I liked all of the mixers. I switched from the Zed 10 FX to the Soundcraft, because I found myself suddenly needing more inputs (and also wanted some of the bus routing options the Zed 10 didn't provide), but didn't want to go back to the Zed 12 FX because it was so bulky. The MFXi 8 had more features than the Zed 12 FX, but was about in middle size-wise between the Zed 10 FX and the Zed 12 FX, so I took a flyer on it, and ultimately, found it to be better to my liking in just about every way.

When comparing the Zed 10 FX and the EFx8, you have a lot more options/inputs on the EFX, but it's 1/3 more in price. I think if I only needed 4 XLR inputs (like the Zed 10 FX has), I would be looking at the Soundcraft Notepad 124FX....it's like 1/2 the price of the Zed 10 FX. Of course, neither have channel mutes, which may not seem like a big deal, but really is kind of a pain sometimes.
comparison, EQ zed 10fx,or EQ soungraft,who from the 2 has better ΕQ?

Last edited by ntik; 05-16-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 AM

I do not want a lot of channels ,a channel I need for the guitar, simply I want it has the blender a lot of good EQ,What, should I choose;

Last edited by ntik; 05-17-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM

The Soundcraft Notepad 124FX is pretty good and can be found on clearance at Musicians friend for $99 sometimes.. Saw it yesterday for that price, with a Phone call they may give you that price anyway..

Last edited by woodenstrings; 05-17-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenstrings View Post
The Soundcraft Notepad 124FX is pretty good and can be found on clearance at Musicians friend for $99 sometimes.. Saw it yesterday for that price, with a Phone call they may give you that price anyway..
thanks a lot,I think he has no parametric EQ
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM

here is what alohachris said to me when i asked about these mixers

Aloha Brokenpretzel - +1 on ZED Series - But Check out Soundcraft EFX & MFXi's Too
Aloha Brokenpretzel,

Like many giggers, when Mackie came out with the VLZ Pro series in the early 90's, live amplification for voice & acoustic guitar became a whole new & better ballgame for me. Finally, we had decent & portable mixers that didn't take up much precious stage space & had features I needed @ an affordable price. Pretty quiet too.

However, I always thought that Mackie preamps in the VLZ Pro series sounded compressed & the control provided by their EQ was less than desireable. In fact, I added an external 1/3" octave Rane SEQ 30L unit to a DFX-6 Mackie board I was using in the late 90's for better control in the wide variety of rooms I played. It worked & was very portable.

I try out lots of live gear every year. For about six years now, I have liked the A&H ZED Series among the under-$500, small, portable live mixers. Superior, sweepable mid EQ - just what you need for gigging. And pretty good mic preamps.

However, the small ZED FX10 does lack MUTE switches - a convenience hassle in some live situations & definitely a drag for home recording. The A&H ZED 12's or higher have MUTES, but are larger.

Soundcraft has long held a great reputation for very high-quality desks - especially their high-end live mixers. Soundcraft's EFX & MFXi Series are their answer to the A&H ZED's among the cheaper mixers. Soundcraft quality is slightly better than the ZED's, IMO.

I own a Soundcraft MFXi-8 (slightly better quality & more features than the EFX's, tons better than the Mackie ProFX's), but rarely use it unless I need more inputs for other players sitting in beyond that provided by my SPS-1:

The MFXi-8:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MFXi8/

The EFX-8:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...30344000000000

The newish Yamaha MG124CX mixer is pretty good also in the under $500 price range.

I agree with Mutantrock (as I often do) about the poor quality of FX in most of the cheaper small mixers (which is why I like the 24-bit Lexicon FX of the Soundcraft mixers). Most are useable, if you just want to add a little reverb or a tad of delay. But if your live mix is FX-heavy, then use quality outboard FX or a really great live FX unit like a TC M-2000. Poor FX will further compress your live sound. And many of the cheap stomp box FX will add plenty of noise in a series to your live signal chain.

So A&H ZED's, Soundcraft MFXi's & EFX's & the Yamaha MG's are the three brands/series of mixers offering better sound, features, & control than the Mackie ProFX Series in the under $500 range. The others (like Behringer) are pretty pathetic in the EQ & preamp departments, IMO.

The ZED's are winners. But the Soundcraft EFX & MFXi's are better. Both the ZED & Soundcraft preamps & EQ are still far superior to the current Mackie ProFX Series of mixers to my ears.

alohachris

i ended up taking back the zed10fx, because i wasn't wild about the effects and i decided it would be worthwhile for me to have more mic ins.
i got the soundcraft efx8 and i like it pretty well. the preamps are quiet and warm and i like the effects pretty well. (it has sliders and mutes too) it seems like a good compromise between size and function for me
www.roberttemplemusic.com
www.youtube.com/brokenpretzel
www.soundcloud.com/roberttemple-1 (for my first 7 string recordings)
Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 AM

soundgraft it has balanced entrances for acoustig guitar?it has switch boost?When you connect guitar at soundgraft, She will need a di box? i thing allen do not need di box,or, I'm wrong;

Last edited by ntik; 05-18-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:04 AM

There is another view from someone who has to play these mixer;
Old 05-19-2012, 04:59 PM

the Efx 8 does not have the special hi z inputs that the Zed has. i play thru a pedalboard loaded with stuff and don't need them.
If you only need the 4 mic pres and like the effects, the Zed is nice. it also has usb which the Efx 8 does not
robert
www.roberttemplemusic.com
www.youtube.com/brokenpretzel
www.soundcloud.com/roberttemple-1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification