The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM

I really like the older Yamaha AG Stomp - it has quite a few impressive features... a tuner, great eq, compression, reverbs, chorus, delay... and a nice modeling feature to make your guitar sound more like it is mic'd with a condenser, dynamic or tube mic.

I've also tried the Fishman Aura, and while it is an excellent pedal, at the time I wasn't quite completely satisfied with it, because I felt the AG Stomp did as good a job at the mic emulations. That being said, I recently saw that one can upgrade an existing Aura pedal to be able to download new "images" - so I've got another Aura on it's way so I can upgrade it and try to find some better images for my guitars than those included on the "jumbo" pedal I tried. I really like the concept, and am looking forward to trying it out again.

As for other effects, I sometimes use a Boss RV5. It can sound a bit bright and sterile with acoustic, but I just pull the tone all the way back, and it sounds a lot more natural to my ears.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001

Last edited by southpaw pete; 01-24-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:42 AM

just added an EQ pedal and i think its the most important pedal for electric-acoustic players who like me use a guitar amp, not an acoustic amp. i use it to cut the mids a bit, get rid of the piezo quack and the pick noise. a chorus and a delay complete my rig. i added a behringer compressor to smoothen the strumming peaks a bit

Last edited by leonard d rock; 02-11-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGrant View Post
Cheers dude.
Looks like a good setup!
Few things: 1. I presume you use the BD-2's at the same time with different settings? and 2. I am thinking of getting a delay, would you recommend it?

I work at a musicshop, and the staff discount is quite good. I have a fair few bob, but not loads so I'm just takin' 'em a step at a time. I am buying the Marshall AS50D Soloist Amp tomorrow to use at home, as a speaker for small gigs and as a personal monitor for larger ones. I've tried it in store and it is really good!
Yes, the bd-2's are set differently. I use one setup for the lead in blues section
Old 09-25-2011, 09:44 AM

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd resurrect it. I just got the TC Electronics TonePrint "Hall of Fame Reverb", "Flashback Delay", and "Corona Chorus".

For Acoustic Guitar I'm able to get some pretty amazing sounds. I also run everything through a LR Baggs Para DI.

Just as a point of reference, I don't really use the pedals while I'm strumming straight up. I use the pedals for more "ambiance"/different types of effects when needed. Actually recently I've been using my reverb/delay to achieve more of an orchestra effect. I use this for some of the more "mellow" times during my worship sets...

I lead worship at a prayer house start up...so yea, having a set of pedals to kind of give me some more options in terms of sound is really, really useful for a 2 hour set.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samxkx View Post
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd resurrect it. I just got the TC Electronics TonePrint "Hall of Fame Reverb", "Flashback Delay", and "Corona Chorus".

For Acoustic Guitar I'm able to get some pretty amazing sounds. I also run everything through a LR Baggs Para DI.

Just as a point of reference, I don't really use the pedals while I'm strumming straight up. I use the pedals for more "ambiance"/different types of effects when needed. Actually recently I've been using my reverb/delay to achieve more of an orchestra effect. I use this for some of the more "mellow" times during my worship sets...

I lead worship at a prayer house start up...so yea, having a set of pedals to kind of give me some more options in terms of sound is really, really useful for a 2 hour set.
You might try goofing with a volume pedal, as well, for pedal-steel-type swells.

...I play my acoustic "straight" as a pretty typical singer-songwriter, but used to back a keyboard player/moody singer songwriter with my Tele, doing lots of ambient stuff like describe, and the volume pedal can really add a cool dimension: not just the pedal steel stuff, but orchestral/violin like sounds, too.

Here's an example from back then (instrumental: acoustic and two tracks of ambient Tele): http://www.myspace.com/bingotwango/m...ngs/kt-7345538

Last edited by tdrake; 09-25-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 PM

listening to your track sounds good! which volume pedal you use?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samxkx View Post
listening to your track sounds good! which volume pedal you use?
Hey, thanks! I suspect that's my Ernie Ball Junior, which isn't the greatest pedal but is small and light. ...I have some other, ancient, huge thing with a longer throw, and it actually sounds better.

I've tried that Ernie Ball with the acoustic quite a bit and it's a bit of a tone sucker...with the Tele/Princeton combo, however, I always had tone to spare.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 AM

Has anyone tried tremelo?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Default enhancement effects

I use a compressor, maximizer and reverb on my acoustics. I've been strictly a rhythm man all my playing carrier. I have such a good natural tone on my acoustic, I don’t want to go swooshing it up with chorus or phase shifting. All though, I’m experimenting with tremolo and delay for specific parts of a song. Gear detail: Barber Tone Press compressor makes all string volumes the same. Next the BBE Sonic Stomp maximizer evens out the low and high frequencies. Just these two pedals will make any acoustic/electric sound so big and full. Last is a Holy Grail Nano with just a bit of verb to make your signal crystally. Too much and you will be lost in the house mix.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:42 AM

I use and really like the Zoom G3 -- super simple, tons of effects choices and they're all very easily customized to how you like 'em. Very compact and amazingly inexpensive -- a killer value, I think, and I know I've read others' very positive reviews of the unit here as well. Worth a look!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Hi f...

I may be of little help. When I play acoustic, I want it to sound like acoustic guitar, and there are no effects I want to add to my acoustic.

In fact when I go to hear others, I'm not that intrigued by their pedals either. If the performance hasn't grabbed me, adding effects will not make me want 'more' nor hold my attention.

I suppose a looper would be the one thing I occasionally add which might considered an effect.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

I like acoustic noise, but like other kinds of noise as well.

Lately am appreciating Lotus Pedals' Gray Tremolo http://www.lotuspedaldesigns.com/products/gray Runs very quietly. Handmade in Duluth. I don't have a trem sample to post right now, but will post if I make one. For this song tho I'm just using the boost on the Gray Tremolo with the trem depth & rate set to zero; parlor guitar & Rare Earth Humbucker driving Gray Trem plus acoupla-other pedals driving 14-watt tube amp: https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/vigilante-man-take1

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 09-03-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbatdorf View Post
I use a compressor, maximizer and reverb on my acoustics. I've been strictly a rhythm man all my playing carrier. I have such a good natural tone on my acoustic, I don’t want to go swooshing it up with chorus or phase shifting. All though, I’m experimenting with tremolo and delay for specific parts of a song. Gear detail: Barber Tone Press compressor makes all string volumes the same. Next the BBE Sonic Stomp maximizer evens out the low and high frequencies. Just these two pedals will make any acoustic/electric sound so big and full. Last is a Holy Grail Nano with just a bit of verb to make your signal crystally. Too much and you will be lost in the house mix.
WOW ... you joined AGF in 2008 and your first post is 2014 to a 3 year old thread ... love it ... there has to be a record in there somewhere

I have to say, for me at least, the BBE Sonic Stomp is a strange one ... sometimes I love what it does and then the next moment I don't ... in the end I have left it out of any chain I use
Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 PM

Being an electric player that plays acoustic too. I'm well aware of texturing a sound. Most do not hear all the effects used in recording acoustic's. In small rooms, too much chorus or modulation can sound cheapish and you just need a touch of reverb. I the larger rooms and outdoors when I play, I use a compressor, chorus for thickening(you can't tell its on), reverb. I've used a vibe, and phaser at times too. I haven't tried playing an acoustic with tremelo yet, but on electric guitar it can be an always on effect, along with chorus.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:43 PM

I have been looking for one of these pedals but have not found it yet.

But sometimes I need one of these:

2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification