The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2021, 11:21 PM

Default Any update

Did you solve this?
Old 07-11-2021, 11:42 PM

Not yet. I want to do a fret job and make a new nut but I have never done either before. I am half way through “practicing” on another guitar that is less consequential and assuming that my work is good enough I will move over to this guitar.

George
Old 07-12-2021, 12:07 AM

It sounds to me that your have been very thorough on the outside but not so much on the inside. I would further investigate all the braces, the bridge plate and all the glued stuff around the edges. It is known that old hide glue can get too dry and crack.

That reminds me - have your thoroughly humidified the the guitar and its case? That may be a dumb question if your are in Florida is summer. How about the reverse? You could check the humidity inside the case closed for several days.

As a long shot check the pick guard, and the base pin, and all the bindings, and the glue on the fret board. It has got to be something - find it! Or send it to an expert who can make a video about it.

Also - you need another guitar, or several, like the rest of us. - Stevo
Old 07-12-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssynhorst View Post
It sounds to me that your have been very thorough on the outside but not so much on the inside. I would further investigate all the braces, the bridge plate and all the glued stuff around the edges. It is known that old hide glue can get too dry and crack.

That reminds me - have your thoroughly humidified the the guitar and its case? That may be a dumb question if your are in Florida is summer. How about the reverse? You could check the humidity inside the case closed for several days.

As a long shot check the pick guard, and the base pin, and all the bindings, and the glue on the fret board. It has got to be something - find it! Or send it to an expert who can make a video about it.

Also - you need another guitar, or several, like the rest of us. - Stevo
Thanks, I'll follow up on your suggestions. I have a whole house full of guitars but only two acoustics. I have tried to find a replacement for this one but sadly I have sent them all back, not having found one that I really liked. Shopping in the era of Covid has been a lot harder, hopefully that will change eventually.

George
Old 07-12-2021, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I just went through this with my 70 Guild D 35. I'd had the neck reset six or seven years ago, and the high strings weren't buzzing, but weren't really clean and clear either. I had the frets leveled. Instantly I got a pure clean tone. I'm such a believer in a very flat neck. With a fret level, you can have .004 relief and play clean. Guitars have a nasty habit of developing a hump at the body joint. This and normal fretwear creep up on you.

I learned how to do this building my mandolin. Time and climate changes have me doing a light fret level every year. Still, sometimes I have pros do it. Not cheap but worth every penny. You can go the Pleck route too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion