The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Thanks for the update. So if I'm reading this right you're saying they're aware of wolf issues in only ONE X30? If that's the case I think this thread is about to get even more interesting.
Yes, it was a short reply about one guitar, and a request for a link here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Would that be the Lone Wolf?

Sorry
Quote:
No sorry necessary I like to give credit where it's do and you certainly deserve credit for that comment, made me laugh.
Agreed, this was very funny!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-16-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
No sorry necessary I like to give credit where it's do and you certainly deserve credit for that comment, made me laugh.
Im gonna have to give you credit for my flawless guitar comment because you definitely inspired me to write that one
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster
Old 07-16-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed62 View Post
Im gonna have to give you credit for my flawless guitar comment because you definitely inspired me to write that one
Haha well ok I accept the credit! Flawless guitars sure are nice.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Flawless guitars sure are nice.
I wouldn't know - I've never played one

Speaking of Wolves, as we were, here's the one true Wolf guitar.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-16-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wouldn't know - I've never played one

Speaking of Wolves, as we were, here's the one true Wolf guitar.

That is the one with the wolf whistle! I knew it existed somewhere.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-16-2020, 08:14 PM

And here's the howling wolf acoustic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolf.jpg (34.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 07-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Probably a whole lot of Wolf notes...

http://www.lonewolfguitars.com/welcome.html

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-17-2020, 08:57 AM

Well, here's another update. I just finished trying a set of John Pearse camel bone pins and buffalo horn pins and the results are..........NO CHANGE! Wolf is still there in the same spot D/Db. I'd love to say that me and the wolf are becoming good friends but that's not the case at all.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:16 AM

@GuitarLuva,

Here is one more idea for you to try.

Take a look at this website:

https://krentzstringworks.com/innovations/modulator/

You’ll see, it is an ad for a rather expensive device meant to help cellists mitigate wolf tones. Don’t buy the device. Instead, read the website, watch their how-to videos, and try to understand the theory of what they are suggesting. Then go to Home Depot or Amazon and buy $10 worth of puck-style rare earth magnets, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/LOVIMAG-Neody...%2C210&sr=8-19

Then use the magnets to implement the approach suggested on the website. The idea is to put a little mass on the soundboard to change the resonance pattern in a way that forces the wolf tone to something other than your problem note.

Some people have advocated using putty or such for a similar exercise. The advantage of the magnet method is that it’s much easier to move the magnets around until you zero in on a spot you like. Once you find that spot, you can always use putty to attach the inner magnet only (leaving the external one off). Or just a couple of heavy washers if you don’t want a magnet permanently in your guitar.

Hope you can find a way to tame your wolf!
Old 07-17-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Well, here's another update. I just finished trying a set of John Pearse camel bone pins and buffalo horn pins and the results are..........NO CHANGE! Wolf is still there in the same spot D/Db. I'd love to say that me and the wolf are becoming good friends but that's not the case at all.

Hey GuitarLuva - I’m curious what happens when you use a capo. Does it help remedy the wolf at all, or just transfer it up to the higher notes?
Do you hear the wolf on every D/Db up the fretboard? DADGAD and open D tunings must sound quite interesting [emoji848]
Old 07-17-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigfingers View Post
Hey GuitarLuva - I’m curious what happens when you use a capo. Does it help remedy the wolf at all, or just transfer it up to the higher notes?
Do you hear the wolf on every D/Db up the fretboard? DADGAD and open D tunings must sound quite interesting [emoji848]
I've tried tuning down 1/2 step and placing a capo on the first fret and it does shift the wolf up the fretboard which is of course on the same note. On the low E and A stings is where it's really bad and if you pluck a D/Db anywhere on those 2 strings it really pops bad. On the D,G,B and high e strings it's not noticeable at all. Is that normal or weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
@GuitarLuva,

Here is one more idea for you to try.

Take a look at this website:

https://krentzstringworks.com/innovations/modulator/

You’ll see, it is an ad for a rather expensive device meant to help cellists mitigate wolf tones. Don’t buy the device. Instead, read the website, watch their how-to videos, and try to understand the theory of what they are suggesting. Then go to Home Depot or Amazon and buy $10 worth of puck-style rare earth magnets, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/LOVIMAG-Neody...%2C210&sr=8-19

Then use the magnets to implement the approach suggested on the website. The idea is to put a little mass on the soundboard to change the resonance pattern in a way that forces the wolf tone to something other than your problem note.

Some people have advocated using putty or such for a similar exercise. The advantage of the magnet method is that it’s much easier to move the magnets around until you zero in on a spot you like. Once you find that spot, you can always use putty to attach the inner magnet only (leaving the external one off). Or just a couple of heavy washers if you don’t want a magnet permanently in your guitar.

Hope you can find a way to tame your wolf!
Thanks for the suggestion. I've pretty much tried that same process with a small piece of wood and some putty. I was able to find a few spots that killed the wolf but it also killed too much low end. No doubt the magnets would be much easier to use than what I was doing. Twigfingers post got me thinking. The wolf is only on D/Db notes on the low E and A strings (typically the lower frequencies) and not on the higher frequencies. I really don't know if this is normal behavior. This guitar is designed to produce a lot of low end, which it does well, I wonder if this is just a consequence. It seems the only way to kill the wolf is to kill the low end which is unfortunate.

Anyway I thank you both again for the input it seems we're digging a bit deeper with each post.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Default and with a fan fret...

Hopefully adding to the discussion here, I have an X30 fan fret. At some point prior to my getting it it acquired a bone nut and saddle, and currently wears Thomastik Plectrum 11's.
In standard tuning I have no discernible wolf notes however there is a slight but perceptible beat from the D# on string 4 on some occasions (but that could just be my inaccurate fretting)
Tuning string 6 to D gives no wolf notes or beats I can detect anywhere along the string.
Clearly the bridge position changes from a standard to fan fret, as does the scale length across the strings, but it is a data point.
At times I play in open D, I'll keep my ears open for anything when I'm there.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Hopefully adding to the discussion here, I have an X30 fan fret. At some point prior to my getting it it acquired a bone nut and saddle, and currently wears Thomastik Plectrum 11's.
In standard tuning I have no discernible wolf notes however there is a slight but perceptible beat from the D# on string 4 on some occasions (but that could just be my inaccurate fretting)
Tuning string 6 to D gives no wolf notes or beats I can detect anywhere along the string.
Clearly the bridge position changes from a standard to fan fret, as does the scale length across the strings, but it is a data point.
At times I play in open D, I'll keep my ears open for anything when I'm there.
Thanks for chiming in. I'm no expert on the topic but I would guess that a fan fret would be a little different due to the bridge location and tension. Sounds like you certainly don't have the wolf i have. The more owners that chime in the merrier.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The more owners that chime in the merrier.
Are you only interested in results from X30 owners? I don't want to dilute the thread unnecessarily.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-18-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you only interested in results from X30 owners? I don't want to dilute the thread unnecessarily.
This thread has taken on a direction of its own, lol. And that’s fine by me. However, in answer to your question, my interest is in the X30 because it is what I am considering from the Emerald line, comparing specifically to the Sable and now the RainSong Vintage Series, notably the WS. It would have been the dread, if offered with a cutaway. If others want additional info, fine with me, though.

I have to admit that I am disappointed in the lack of additional response from Emerald, both in e-mail or here. I have not heard anything since that last contact. Maybe this week...

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber