The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Why would the string tension affect the fingerboard? I'd be surprised if they used the kind of adhesive that would let go at those temperatures. Wouldn't they use an epoxy?

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. Leave the strings at tension.

Why would anyone even consider a black roof box - unless you wanted to boil water?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM

They do use an epoxy. They use it to glue the top to the body, the fretboard to the neck, the bridge to the body, the bracing, and the entire body is cured with a CF-epoxy mix.

Reduced string tension might keep the bridge from flying off, but it wouldn't help the other glued areas.

The epoxy is rated for a certain temperature. I'm not sure what rating it has, but other manufactures have given temperature ratings, and CA has implied that heat from an iron (107-193F) is sufficient to remove the bridge.

If you keep it in the case and insulated, I wouldn't think the temp would get close to "too hot."

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers

Last edited by gitnoob; 07-29-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Do it!! Silly Canadian... I have had mine too hot to touch... so I didn't check the tuning till it cooled some and was darn close enough for jazz.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM

You could always move your Cargo for a grand now (before Pevey rolls out the Chinese Cargos next year for $500) and get an Emerald X7. The bridge is part of the soundboard on those things..
Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelor View Post
You could always move your Cargo for a grand now (before Pevey rolls out the Chinese Cargos next year for $500) and get an Emerald X7. The bridge is part of the soundboard on those things..

I don't know about Peavey (and Chinese production...that's a kind of a stretch as a prediction, if you know what I mean), but it can easily get to 140+ degrees in a top-mount cargo box, and epoxy can and will slip around at high temps.

The Cargo is not bullet-proof, and it is not immune to high temps and any other abuse it might suffer in a top-mount box.

Best of luck with your trip. All caution and reason would have you finding a place inside the car for your guitar, regardless of it's construction.

The X7 (according to a reputable dealer) does not have all the set-up issues (relief, neck angle, neck-joint flex), and is also a 24" scale, exactly the same as the Larrivée Parlor.

Cool.

I have one coming as a part of a greater demo/road-trip.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-29-2010, 07:19 PM

I have not heated up my X-7 yet.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM

Regarding Emeralds, the builder had this to say:

Emerald Guitars are cured at 70C which is 150F so they are stable to that. As you know there are no joins and no weak points so everything is good to that point.

Having said that after standing on top of Squaws peak in 110F and direct sun with Kramster by my side I started to reconsider my limits a little. I am sure the surface of the guitar was hitting 70C.

The one area I have looked at again is the epoxy glue holding in the frets. What I use now is rated to 80C or 170F but to build in some extra limits today I took delivery of a new epoxy rated to 120C or 250F. That should give Kramster a little extra confidence in the heat of the Phoenix Sun. I am also planning on increasing the cure cycle to 80C to increase the overall temperature rating.

Reality is this is probably going beyond whats needed but its nice to know that there is nothing these guitars cant handle.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I've decided against the cargo in the roof box. Would hate to get to start my summer holiday guitar-less.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber