The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-27-2024, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Pickguard removal and backup plan - best source for naptha?

For some reason, I dislike the shape of the pickguard on my 3-yr old Eastman AC422CE. Maybe because the spruce top is so white? I don't know - it just bugs me. I've seen pics of the same model from years past before they added the pickguard, and that's the look I want.

Several credible sources online endorse removing the guard with gentle heat, dental floss (pulled across under the guard) and naptha to remove adhesive during/after the project. Apparently without harming the finish.

But exploring this idea last night, I saw comments that Zippo and Ronson lighter fluids (typically available in a $3-4 can) are no longer made with naptha - which figures now that I want some.

So I have questions, and maybe some of you folks know the answers:
- Is this true (they're no longer real naptha)?
- Does the current formula work the same, and is it also harmless?
- Should I just take the hit and go buy a $25-45 gallon can of real naptha at the hardware store?

Thanks for looking. Any additional tips for a nice clean removal would be appreciated.

BTW, if I wreck the finish and want to reapply a pickguard, it appears that I can order an identical custom-fit replacement here.
https://holterpickguards.com/

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-27-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I just bought a can of naptha - cheapoest was colortone from StewMac

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-27-2024, 11:07 AM

After 3 years you may have a decent tan line.

A quick google later and I'm with you - that guard is ugly. Maybe a slightly larger one in a less weird shape would work, if you have too much color difference once the old one is off.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
For some reason, I dislike the shape of the pickguard on my 3-yr old Eastman AC422CE. Maybe because the spruce top is so white? I don't know - it just bugs me. I've seen pics of the same model from years past before they added the pickguard, and that's the look I want.

Several credible sources online endorse removing the guard with gentle heat, dental floss (pulled across under the guard) and naptha to remove adhesive during/after the project. Apparently without harming the finish.

But exploring this idea last night, I saw comments that Zippo and Ronson lighter fluids (typically available in a $3-4 can) are no longer made with naptha - which figures now that I want some.

So I have questions, and maybe some of you folks know the answers:
- Is this true (they're no longer real naptha)?
- Does the current formula work the same, and is it also harmless?
- Should I just take the hit and go buy a $25-45 gallon can of real naptha at the hardware store?

Thanks for looking. Any additional tips for a nice clean removal would be appreciated.

BTW, if I wreck the finish and want to reapply a pickguard, it appears that I can order an identical custom-fit replacement here.
https://holterpickguards.com/
Check your local paint store and big box store. The last quart I purchased, maybe a year ago was 7 or 8 dollars.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:14 PM

Hardware store…it’s lighter fluid folks.

Rb
Old 03-27-2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Hardware store…it’s lighter fluid folks.

Rb
I sure is. I've got a can of it in my basement that I bought for re-filling my Zippo.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:16 PM

In some states it's not possible to buy cans of naptha but you still can buy Ronson lighter fluid which is the same thing.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Yes, "folks," Naptha is indeed lighter fluid. I was simply wary after seeing posts on other forums suggesting that not all Zippo/Ronsonol lighter fluids are still naptha in 2023-24. Didn't want to take any chances with my guitar, hence a cautious post here.

Ace has naptha but I didn't buy any. I could grab a can for $17.99 if there weren't any other options but I found a workaround.

Used a combination of dental floss and an expired credit card to gently separate the guard and adhesive from the soundboard. The guard is intact, but since there's no "farmer's tan" in the wood, I won't need (or want) to re-install it. That shape looks, to me, sort of art nouveau/sci-fi in contrast to the almost white spruce.

No heat BTW. I have no idea what sort of adhesive might've been used in the soundboard bracing.

Mrs. Tinnitus found some water-based Goof Off 2 in the laundry room that I used to remove residual stickiness.

Preferences vary but I like this guitar a lot better now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6551.JPG (20.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6553.JPG (22.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6556.JPG (14.0 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-27-2024 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:27 PM

I could easily be wrong, but earlier Googling led me to believe White Gas (aka Coleman fuel) is also naphtha. I've used it on instruments to clean off the neck.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-27-2024, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I could easily be wrong, but earlier Googling led me to believe White Gas (aka Coleman fuel) is also naphtha. I've used it on instruments to clean off the neck.
Probably. I think my most recent gallon of Coleman dates back to last century and turned to varnish in the can, lol.

Going shopping for bread and eggs today and I'll see if I can look at the label on some Zippo/Ronsonol at the store, just to see what it says. Probably secured behind the Customer Service counter with $8 cigarettes and covered with multi-lingual warnings not to drink it or use it for eyedrops.

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-27-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've been using Coleman Fuel as Naptha for many years (35?) w/o any issues. I bought my second gallon about a year ago, and it seems the same. The first gallon seemed stable, but then I did put the cap back on after each use.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

That's really good to know. I have some if I need it.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

I think Coleman Fuel is Heptane. Much more flammable than Naptha.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said much more since Naphtha is pretty flammable itself.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

I wiped up a small Coleman stove/lantern overfill spill with a paper towel when I was camping - once. Tossed it in the fire and got a surprisingly substantial "WOOF" out of it. Still have whiskers and eyebrows, but I'm here to tell you, you don't trifle with that stuff.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:49 AM

Home Depot sells naphtha in OR (5 in stock at Hillsboro store) for $23.98 per gallon. A bit cheaper than StewMac $26.92 per quart.

Naphtha has many uses: thin enamel and varnish; brush cleaning, general cleaning/degreasing of guitars, prep for house trim painting, welding prep, tar removal from car paint, fuel for alcohol lamp/burner, etc. I find it to be a necessary consumable in the workshop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair