The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Default Nice NYT piece on vintage violin family

There was a very nice article in Arts and Entertainment section of the New York Times today (9/1/13) describing a renewal of interest in baroque period violins and celli and old bows and traditionally made strings from freshly harvested sheep gut. It reminded me of many of the discussions we have here about the qualities of modern and old instruments. I think you will find it interesting. I am sure you can easily find it on the NYT homepage at the bottom under Arts. The title is

Unleashing the Potential of the Strings

This link may work for you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/ar...?ref=arts&_r=0

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Thanks for posting the link, Hans. That was an interesting article.

whm
Old 09-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Very interesting. We have a regional outfit who cultivate Baroque-period instruments and music. They do it as an extension of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. I've been to several recitals and really enjoyed hearing the music played on the original instruments, often in reconstruction Barogue halls. They have restored several instruments of the Viol family and a pair of period harpsichords as well. There's nothing quite like a recital by candlelight.

Something that few are aware of is that in the upper classes in the Colonial period, ability to play an instrument was a social requirement. People advanced themselves through their relationships. Many had small musical societies, groups of four or five people who respected one another. They would order the latest music (scores) from the continent and share them as a party at one or another's home.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-01-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Something that few are aware of is that in the upper classes in the Colonial period, ability to play an instrument was a social requirement. People advanced themselves through their relationships. Many had small musical societies, groups of four or five people who respected one another. They would order the latest music (scores) from the continent and share them as a party at one or another's home.
Just to continue along this theme, during the baroque period there was a lot of really fine chamber music and (especially!) recorder pieces that were written by famous composers, commissioned by their patrons, that was intended to be played by amateurs. Even as late as Beethoven, there were simple but sublime pieces of music that are not all that difficult to play that were written to order like this.

After Beethoven's era, from what I can tell this practice became much less common.

whm
Old 09-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Cool Nice NYT piece on vintage violin family

This is really WEIRD...in the past week, I bought a vintage colored violin (Antonio Stradivari copy) and also an alto recorder (Yamaha). I had been watching a performance by The Corrs, a family band that plays guitar, violin and recorder. While both instruments were very affordable, I don't yet know if the construction quality or tonal quality will be there. I figured, if I start out by purchasing the least expensive models (both were purchased at auctions), if I don't like how they sound, I can always upgrade later.

Glen

Old Italian style baroque violin, 4/4 Antonio Stradivari of Cremona (copy), spruce top, maple back & sides

Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

Last edited by scottishrogue; 09-02-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Very interesting. We have a regional outfit who cultivate Baroque-period instruments and music. They do it as an extension of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. I've been to several recitals and really enjoyed hearing the music played on the original instruments, often in reconstruction Barogue halls. They have restored several instruments of the Viol family and a pair of period harpsichords as well. There's nothing quite like a recital by candlelight.

Bob
Very interesting. We've come so far. I know very few in the social classes of my town that have developed such talents. Perhaps I just don't know them well enuf.

hans

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments