The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
SJ, The MagCat is my latest example of then "WRX" concept I have been making occasionally for almost ten years now. I pronounce that "Works" and it is intended as an inexpensive way into owning one of my guitars. "Works" is a take off on factory race cars supplied to privateer drivers of talent who could not otherwise afford the tools of their trade, in other words subsidized. A "works" car is generally close to as capable as the factory teams equipment, but may lack some of the more expensive bit of carbon and titanium, as this guitar has less purfling, a simpler rosette, alternative materials, and a non-carbon fiber case. I have been playing the guitar for two days now, and it meets all my standards for volume, tone, balance, and playability. Of the three I am showing I find it the most attractive, probably because it tickles me so that it has such a unique appearance and yet plays and sounds completely mainstream.

The price on this guitar is less than 2/3rds of my normal base price for an OM sized guitar.
I think this is a magnificent idea! One of my lottery fantasies is to commission a bunch of great luthiers to build a base price guitar with no other requirement except it sound as much like the perfect guitar (in their mind) as they can manage. In other words, it would express the Sexauer or McKnight or Kinnaird sound with no visual distractions. Wouldn't it be great if everyone at Healdsburg brought one guitar like that along? It looks like you, at least, are doing so!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Most of the luthiers coming to Healdsburg are flying in, and carry or ship not only their guitars but also their display paraphernalia. A very few of us live and work within easy driving distance and therefore have "options".

After carefully reading LMIs rules about the table and display parameters I threw my creative energies at my guitar display, as I have done for the other HGFs I have attended, and have come up with something different. In the past I have tended to use large dimensional rosewood lumber and pegs to mount the guitars at jaunty angles, and HGF management has featured one of my displays in their subsequent promotions, so encouraged by that I went upscale this time.

The center piece of this years display is a Walnut graft stump! This is a black walnut root section with an English walnut grafted onto it as the English walnut does not do well in the local environment if planted straight into the ground. It is free standing, almost a foot in diameter, weighs over 100 pounds, and all of my displayed guitars will hang from it, as will signage and lighting. I hand carved the entire stump with spokeshave and gouge, and it amounts to a rustic sculpture in high contrast to the finished guitars. Not your ordinary guitar stand, not everyone is probably going to like it, but I had a lot of fun making it.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Your stump display stand sounds like a cool idea--I'll look forward to seeing it!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I designed and printed new business cards specific to this festival. I made 4 variations, one for each of the three guitars, plus a comprehensive one. It will be interesting to see which card is most popular!

I want to ask a favor of those of you who have followed this thread AND are attending the show. I request that you take the time to share your honest impression of the guitars that I have described here. I can say things till the cows come home, but it is the rest of you who have some perspective and therefore an opinion of value to the readership. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM

I came, I played, I was impressed. Bruce builds a nice instrument.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Bruce, nice seeing ya my man... That pernambuco made me smile big time, what a guitar! I really thought the magnolia was something special too...
Old 08-22-2013, 04:44 AM

I finally had the opportunity to meet Bruce and enjoyed our conversation immensely. His display was certainly unique, and I never passed his spot when it wasn't crowded. I brought home the 12 fret 000 Schoenberg that he built for the show and had actually made that commitment before the guitar was finished. It's my third Sexauer built Schoenberg, and a stellar guitar in every respect. I really liked the rosewood 0 "Companion", maybe next time. All his guitars have a played in feel and tone even when brand new. He also gets balance, volume and projection even from the smaller bodied models. My 000 definitely is grounded in vintage Martin tone, but with more bloom and subtlety of overtones. I attribute some of this to the fact that he knows wood, doesn't seem to build anything under tension, and applies a beautiful oil/varnish finish to all his instruments. I know there are likely a hundred other variables, but to me these stand out when you follow his build threads.

I'm sure we'll meet again, and one of his 0 model guitars is on my bucket list.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:04 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Mac-cat sounds like a special at McDonald's. JK !!!!!!

Dd you sell an instrument at healdsburg?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Except for 58's Schoenberg, and another Schoenberg on Eric's table that I made, no.

The name's MagCat.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:16 AM

I can't believe no one bought the Magcat - maybe a bit too far out of the mainstream even for Healdsburg? Guess I'd better start buying lottery tickets again.

Hey, Bruce, I just read back through this thread - what a wonderful journey! I noticed you need an editor for your book. I'd be happy to do it for the loan of one of your guitars.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 AM

Actually, I'd be happy to edit your book regardless, but from what I've seen of your writing skill you need little if any help in that regard, and in terms of the technical aspects of building guitars I'm not qualified. I might notice redundancy and suggest cuts - that's about all I would be good for, but then that's probably all you need!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

I offered the MagCat as a sort of show special, WAY under what my price list suggests, about 65% of my already reduced WRX pricing. I'm not sure anyone noticed as it wasn't commented on. I haven't sold a guitar at that low a price in many years.

Thanks for the editing offer, I'll keep it in mind. At the moment I am on hiatus from all things Lutherie-like.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
At the moment I am on hiatus from all things Lutherie-like
Make it a short one Bruce! All the best, berf
Old 11-10-2013, 03:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

I did a really dumb thing a few weeks ago, and pulled a 95 year old man out of a Lotus 7. He'd gotten in, but he couldn't get out! I pulled some muscles loose from my pelvis, which is healing nicely, but I also gave my self a hernia which requires surgery. I go in tomorrow for that, not a really big deal, but I hate the idea of the general anesthetic required.

So I am barely working, that's the bad news, the good news is that I am playing a lot more music on both the guitar and the violin. Yesterday I finally got around to recording with the MagCat, described earlier in the thread if memory serves, which is why I am resurrecting it. These are tunes from "The Portland Collection", which claims to be a good source for Contra standards. I call this genre "Americana". These are done in GarageBand and are two tracks, rhythm and melody, both with the MagCat and absolutely flat.

Here are a couple of mp3 links:

Cuffy

Reel of Sceachog
Old 11-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Hang in there

Bruce,

Hopefully, it is a laparoscopic procedure. You should be partially back 1-2 weeks post surgery and fully back in about a month for strenuous work. I am guessing this happened post-Woodstock (you seemed in good cheer that day).

Best,

Bob

P.S.

Do you know the definition of major surgery? Any procedure being conducted on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I did a really dumb thing a few weeks ago, and pulled a 95 year old man out of a Lotus 7. He'd gotten in, but he couldn't get out! I pulled some muscles loose from my pelvis, which is healing nicely, but I also gave my self a hernia which requires surgery. I go in tomorrow for that, not a really big deal, but I hate the idea of the general anesthetic required.

So I am barely working, that's the bad news, the good news is that I am playing a lot more music on both the guitar and the violin. Yesterday I finally got around to recording with the MagCat, described earlier in the thread if memory serves, which is why I am resurrecting it. These are tunes from "The Portland Collection", which claims to be a good source for Contra standards. I call this genre "Americana". These are done in GarageBand and are two tracks, rhythm and melody, both with the MagCat and absolutely flat.

Here are a couple of mp3 links:

Cuffy

Reel of Sceachog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop