The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-11-2015, 10:55 AM

Default Loef 12th Fret Slope Shoulder Dreadnought

Hey,

First time poster, just got a new guitar and wanted to show some pictures off.

Here are some pictures and info on the Loef 12th Fret Dreadnought I just got.

Specs:

European Spruce Top
Walnut Back & Sides
Ebony Fretboard & Bridge
Rowan Binding
Mahogany Neck
Grover Sta-Tite Tuners
Zero Fret
12th Fret Body Joint
650mm Scale Length
45mm Nut Width
Slotted Headstock

I was looking for a 12th fret dreadnought with a nice looking sunburst, and as soon as I saw this on Olav's website I knew it was the one...

It has a really balanced tone all the way up the neck. The bass is resonant but not too boomy and the trebles are really clear and bell-like. It's a very light, responsive guitar, and it doesnt take much effort to get the whole thing going.

I think the guitar looks incredible. The walnut back and sunburst neck in particular. It was quite tricky to get photos to show the detail since the thing is so glossy and polished.

The body size feels like a slightly smaller dreadnought, with rounder shoulders. The depth feels "normal".

I have come to this guitar from a Furch OM34SR, which was a great guitar but I didn't really bond with the OM shape, and the trebles were a little flat. In terms of difference in tone the Furch has a more brittle sound, whilst the Loef is softer and more rounded. The Furch was also a bit more responsive (perhaps due to being so shallow?), though it lacked the richness of the Loef when strummed.

There are a lof of touches about this guitar that I really love. The rowan binding is from Olav's village in Finland; the bridge is glossed and this has picked out the pores in the wood; the saddle looks almost like it was pulled from the ground.

Anyway hope you like the pictures. I am very pleased with the guitar - it looks very unique and sounds incredible. I have had it for a month or so now and have not yet put any dings or scratches in, so long may that continue!

More photos here: https://goo.gl/photos/hxZCULDxJayARr689

I am a player from the UK by the way, I play a whole load of different styles but usually return to blues / folk / fingerstyle guitar. Here is a link to a video of me playing some celtic music on the Loef - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saFKWqQEaHE

Last edited by olsk; 06-11-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Congratulation for getting a guitar that you like!
Sounds good too.
I must admit that most Olav Loef guitars do not really appeal to me esthetically. It could just be the 'burst that you love - and that he puts on many of his guitars... Better agree to disagree on that
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-11-2015, 01:36 PM

just lovely, guitar and playing.
Nice balance of clarity, depth of tone and sustain, reminds me of the successful balance that Nigel Forster gets outa his guitars, a refreshing change from the 'strident on steroids dont I sustain for a verrrrrrrrry long time' sound that seems to be in vogue with some.
A very usable instrument, I bet it can 'grunt' some blues as well .
P.S.

doing my daily catchup with politics and the markets my mind kept going back to the sound of your guitar. If you’d have put a sound clip up and asked us to guess the tone woods involved - I don’t think anyone would have guessed Walnut. What a great sounding guitar and just goes to show as the luthiers on here say - it’s the build

Last edited by westman; 06-11-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: adding
Old 06-11-2015, 03:55 PM

Nice guitar! Congrats... and welcome to AGF!
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 AM

Thankyou guys

Olav has a very distinct style so I understand that it's not to everyones taste - I just happen to love it

Yes the guitar is great for blues! It is hard to factor in what effect the walnut over rosewood / mahogany has. I think the bridge placement has the most effect on the tone. Definitely warmer and rounder. I usually keep a classical guitar around for songs that need a softer / warmer sound, but with this Loef I don't feel the need for it because the balance is so good.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:18 AM

yes going back and listening to this guitar confirms my initial impression, a very fine musical instrument and again nicely played.
Hope you don't mind me putting this up for those who missed listening to it.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Not at all mate, glad you like it

A song like that is very satisfying to play on such a good guitar. It makes experimenting with chord voicings more rewarding since when you find the right one the whole guitar sings. Also a lot nicer to play single note melodies on. On a cheaper guitar I rarely play slow melodies with just single notes since the flatness of tone really comes across. With this thing it is a joy to let the trebles ring..

The extra oomph from the drop d tuning is a lot of fun too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop