The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Default Switched to medium's, normal action?

I have just switched over to medium gauge strings on my Gibson, it sounds fantastic! but the action was a little high (it was a bit high when it had lights on it, more so with mediums) but I have just shaved the saddle, lowered some of the nut slots and got the action on the 6th string on the 12th fret down about 3-4mm, is this good for medium gauge strings? (13-56).
I don't think I can lower it any more because it will probably buzz, and the 6th string wont have much saddle left to sit on!

Thanks

Alex Kirtley, UK
Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 PM

I use 13-56, and that's higher than I would like. I think the treble side is a more important indicator of feel than the bass side. I aim for 1.6 to 1.8mm on the treble side and about 2.4 to 2.5 on the bass side. - But that's for fingerpicking, hardcore 'grassers might find it a bit low.

At the nut, the clearance between the 1st fret and the string is barely detectable when I press the string down on the the 2nd fret.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:56 PM

did you adjust your truss rod to deal with the increased tension of the mediums and to set proper relief before cuttin' on the nut and saddle?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
did you adjust your truss rod to deal with the increased tension of the mediums and to set proper relief before cuttin' on the nut and saddle?
I've checked the relief and it is fine.

What I am thinking of doing is booking it in for a professional set up but watch him whilst he works on it and hopefully learn how to do it properly myself, because what I know now is what I learnt from the internet, I may get a better grasp watching someone doing it

Alex Kirtley, UK
Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Just re-checked the neck and it could do with a tweak, but I don't have a tool for the Gibson truss rod's, anyone know anything I could use to turn it?

Alex Kirtley, UK
Old 03-06-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtley2013 View Post
Just re-checked the neck and it could do with a tweak, but I don't have a tool for the Gibson truss rod's, anyone know anything I could use to turn it?
There's this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wr...st=3&xsr=10605

But you might be able to get something cheaper at you local hardware store.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 PM

You should be able to get the 12th fret action to about 2.5mm at low E and near 2.0 mm (give or take, depending upon your playing style and buzz tolerance) at the high E.

But I always suggest caution to my clients when using 13's, since many guitars are not designed for extended use with 13's and the top deformation of the guitar can be greatly accelerated with the extra string tension.

Several examples I could give, but two that come to mind are:

1) A Santa Cruz guitar that developed top cracks on the treble side due to over thinning of the x-braces where they join just above the waist. 13's were the straw that broke the camel's back.

2) A Martin guitar that clearly stated: "Use medium gauge or lighter strings only" that had 13's on it for half a decade or more, with top cracks, warped/cracked/lifted ebony bridge, and more-than average top deformation.

So, if you are going to use 13's, make sure your guitar can handle it to ensure longevity of your investment.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair