The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-01-2016, 05:10 AM

I think it is always best to make decision in this area on what your ears actually hear!

I record in 24/96 which always sounds good. However, when mixing for compressed for 16 bit formats I always find that I have to remix somewhat to get a balanced sound — this is particularly true with the bass.

I have a Cambridge Audio Streamer which can play up to 24/192 files and I have a small number of high res audio files. The 2 192 files don't do anything for me. One — a classical piano recording — almost reveals the sound of the hammer own the keys but it makes it sound like a pub upright! The High Audio files that I like are usually 96 hz or often lower but to me the 24 bit makes a difference.

The rock albums I own are interesting, the best being Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and most of the Paul Simon albums. These are all 24/96 I think. They reveal an awful lot about the recordings and the instruments. I can pick out the actual model of Guitar played on some of them but ...

... do I actually like listening to those more? No, not really.

Through this system really well recording acoustic music at CD quality can sound excellent although poorly mixed stuff just sounds like poorly mixed stuff.

It's horses for courses I guess. I have always had good and sensitive ears. I have friends that can't discern any difference at all between formats. Going back to my hi-fi player, eat was an interesting purchase but I'm not sure it adds a great deal although a number of classical symphonies are streets better.

So, I simply try and focus on what sounds good to me!
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
acoustic guitar, logic pro x, sample rate