The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 12-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Default FS: Taylor 422K All-Koa Grand Concert

*** SOLD! ***

For sale: Taylor 1996 422K Grand Concert all-Koa acoustic guitar with lovely satin finish. One of only 146 made by Taylor in 1996 (the only year they made all-Koa 400 series GC’s). Purchased in July 2013 from original owner (on AGF). This guitar has a sweet, resonate, aged Koa tone. It can handle a pick, up to moderate strumming, but shines when finger-picked. Sounds fabulous on an acoustic amp, but surprising volume unplugged – clear tone, strong sustain. Has a fragrant Koa smell – love taking this out of the case. The fretboard is Ebony and has some lighter coloring that matches the body beautifully. Has a string-through pinless bridge. The body is lightly flamed and is visually and sonically gorgeous.

Specs:
Scale length: 25 3/8"
String spacing @bridge: 2 3/16"
Tuners: Grover chrome
Binding: Ebony
Fingerboard: Ebony
Pickup/electronics: 2013 K&K Pure Mini
Fingerboard markers: Mother of Pearl dots
Strap button: Yes
Lower bout width: 15"
Depth at end pin: 4.0"
Body length: 19.375"
Bridge: Ebony
Nut and Saddle: Polished bone

Upgrades since purchase include professionally installed K&K pure mini pickup (July 2013), Taylor strap button (July 2013) and bone nut/saddle to replace original Tusq (September 2013). Nut/saddle were custom made for this guitar by Tony Louscher of Luthier’s Workshop in Green Bay (Tony was employee #4 at Taylor, knows his stuff). Tony also did a full setup (neck check, fretboard cleaning/oiling, etc.) in Sept. 2013.

Condition of guitar is excellent. There is very minimal fret wear on the higher strings in the top frets. There is one small peck (smaller than a pencil eraser) on the top back of the head stock and two tiny pecks near the heel of the neck near the strap button, shown in one of the photos below. Would assess overall condition as 8.5 of 10.

Guitar comes with black/chrome original Taylor hard case, pictured below. A few minor wear marks (tried to capture them fully in the photo), fully functional and great protection. Guitar stored in case, non-smoking home, humidified properly, never gigged, etc. by me, and believe the same with original owner. Comes with original Fall 1996 copy of Taylor’s Wood & Steel, featuring cover story on Bob Taylor’s new Koa 400 series guitars (including this one!). Also comes with all receipts for pickup, nut/saddle and associated services.

Offering price of $SOLD cash (my hardware cost for guitar plus upgrades). For comparison, the few 422K’s I’ve seen on the market have listed for $1400 to 1699, and none had these upgrades. A current comparison point is a 1997 Taylor 412 –identical to this one except for Koa and upgrades (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/4261122140.html). Even accounting for CL price hedging, this 422K is a great value in comparison given the Koa, pickup and bone nut/saddle upgrades (in my unbiased opinion, of course! ).

Can deliver free in northern Wisconsin, Chicago and Atlanta area (I travel to Atlanta frequently); add shipping to other locations. This is my first guitar sale, but I’ve purchased three guitars on AGF in the last 6 months and will gladly provide references on request. Am selling because the collection has hit our family cap, and I have my eye on spruce (don’t have that wood yet). To add another guitar, one has to move on, so here goes…

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 01-22-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Sold!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 PM

Any pics??..........
Old 12-28-2013, 05:03 PM

Yep - just put 'em on (took some trial/error). Have a bunch more, and love taking guitar photos, so if you'd like to see something more/different than shown, just yell!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Default This is a great seller and guitar

Folks, I can vouch for this wonderful seller and this guitar. The seller and I have done business and he is honest and truly a man of his word. You can do business with no fear. This guitar is a visual and sonic beauty; someone will be falling in love with this one!

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM

I have an interested buyer who will see the guitar in 3 weeks during my next trip to Atlanta (remember - free shipping to there, hand delivered by personal concierge with an assist from my buddies at Delta Airlines). No pressure intended - or appropriate, since no guarantee the buyer will take it. However, buyer seemed serious. If you're thinking about an affordable all-Koa Taylor that's not the 'same 'ol', may want to give me a shout before mid-January...
Old 01-04-2014, 07:10 PM

Default Two for one special!

About to list a 2011 Taylor GS mini with spruce top, excellent condition (no blemishes, scratches, anything). If you happen to be looking for two guitars - a Grand Concert like this one, and a second more portable GS mini, I'd be willing to sell both together for a crazy-good bundle price of $1695, plus shipping (or free delivery if you're in northeast WI or Atlanta, GA area). GS mini listing going up in the next week after I take a few good photos for a listing.

Thanks for looking!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Bump

Courtesy bump for a great guitar offered by an honest man!

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Earlier offer of "2-for-1 special" has expired, the GS mini sold separately.

I'm bringing the 422K to Atlanta this week for inspection and possible sale to an interested party. If you have interest in it, let me know and I'll reach out if it's not sold this week.

Thanks for the interest in this lovely all-Koa Taylor!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 PM

Sold. Thanks AGF!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
422k, grand concert, koa, taylor