The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-28-2016, 12:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

That's a really pretty guitar! Nicely done
Old 06-28-2016, 01:11 PM

exceptional beautiful guitar!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:01 PM

Thanks so much all! Jayne- I'm sure your Wingert provided an amazing first strum! Thank you for your support for my journey- I so appreciate your support for those of us guitarists who are women! Jobe- you are so right! This has been a wonderful journey so far and the start of so much more wonders. It's so cool!

John and Schau_ins_Regal: Thank you on Ken's behalf. He has built such a gorgeous instrument. John- you build amazing instruments. I'm honored (and I know Ken will be) to know that you checked out our thread and like his work. I look forward to hearing or playing a Kinnaird in person at some point on my guitar journey.

I'm continuing to love playing this instrument. It's so beautiful but it also is a true joy to play. It's very resonant already and is sounding slightly different every day... So fun!!

I have a friend who is an excellent musician, has access to a home recording setup, and has volunteered to record this guitar so you all can hear it. I'll wait a few months for it to learn to be a guitar a bit and then I'll have him do it. His wife has an amazing voice, is a folk singer, and may sing along on one of the recordings. Steve is also an actor (I live in LA- it's the "business"). For you Star Trek fans, here's Steve in several of his more well known roles:

So in a few months, you'll get Steve Rankin, Susie Glaze, and my guitar!

beth

Last edited by mountainguitar; 07-04-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Casper View Post

Congrats on your new guitar. The smile on your face says it all.

The aesthetic elements on this guitar are so tastefully done, it strikes me as a one-of-a-kind beauty. That the tone is everything you hoped provides a wonderful end to this journey.

Thank you for sharing your experience via this thread, and again...congratulations!

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 PM

Thanks Jayne, Jobe, John, Schau ins Regal, OMO. I greatly appreciate your kind words. A lot of dreaming, planning, and execution goes into one of these builds, and nice to see the final guitar realize all those early dreams.

Ken

Last edited by Kenneth Casper; 07-03-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Thanks so much all! Jayne- I'm sure your Wingert provided an amazing first strum! Thank you for your support for my journey- I so appreciate your support for those of us guitarists who are women! Jobe- you are so right! This has been a wonderful journey so far and the start of so much more wonders. It's so cool!

John and Schau_ins_Regal: Thank you on Ken's behalf. He has built such a gorgeous instrument. John- you build amazing instruments. I'm honored (and I know Ken will be) to know that you checked out our thread and like his work. I look forward to hearing or playing a Kinnaird in person at some point on my guitar journey.

I'm continuing to love playing this instrument. It's so beautiful but it also is a true joy to play. It's very resonant already and is sounding slightly different every day... So fun!!

I have a friend who is an excellent musician, has access to a home recording setup, and has volunteered to record this guitar so you all can hear it. I'll wait a few months for it to learn to be a guitar a bit and then I'll have him do it. His wife has an amazing voice, is a folk singer, and may sing along one of the recordings. Steve is also an actor (I live in LA- it's the "business"). For you Star Trek fans, here's Steve in several of his more well known roles:

So in a few months, you'll get Steve Rankin, Susie Glaze, and my guitar!

beth
WOW, you'll have an actual Klingon play your guitar! This has to be the left turns of left turns in any guitar thread!

Great to hear you're enjoying your new guitar!
Old 07-04-2016, 07:27 AM

Thanks OddManOut and Louie! It's been wonderful having you participate in this thread. Fortunately for me, Ken's a great guy and very flexible- we've had a Packers/Bears digression in this thread, why not Klingons?

I've been kind of obsessed with this guitar. I'm still at my parents' home in Michigan, and they are enjoying watching me not be able to put it down. Or I put it down to do the Michigan summer cottage thing and throw tennis balls in the lake for my golden retriever, and then I'm back picking this guitar up again. It's just so gorgeous and magical!

I'm loving getting to know this instrument. Every day is new adventure!

beth
Old 07-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Beth - Congrats on the new guitar - and the nice little collection you're building. Enjoy 'em all!....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-04-2016, 06:21 PM

Thank you Robert! Guitars are amazing instruments- it's so great having several wonderful and very different guitars to play. I an loving my little collection!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Beth,
Congratulations! Ken has built you a beauty! I just now came upon this thread and enjoyed it thoroughly! I have one of Ken's builds, completed Aug 2014. I just played her last night and the tone continues to get better and better. Mine is a deep 13 fret 25" scale OM/000, Adi/sinker mahogany. Love the guitar!
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=338746&page=2

All the best to you, play her in great health!
McPherson Touring
Loar LM-500 mandolin
Fender Performer Tele
Various Basses
Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 PM

Thanks Namrock! I'm so glad you checked in. Your Casper build thread was what led me to Ken's guitars back when I was first researching luthiers. So thank you for leading me to a gifted luthier and a wonderful human being!

And then your guitar was a large part of the discussion as Ken and I were talking about what I was hoping for with this beautiful instrument. I ended up with a 13 fret, 25" scale, in part because of how it worked out with your guitar. So our two guitars are siblings!

The tone is still changing, and I'm loving getting to know this guitar. It's so fun to play! The tone is full and lush already, and the bass is beginning to come in. It's good to hear how your guitar is continuing to develop.

My best to you-

beth
Old 07-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Beth,
Yes, Ken's work is great, and he is so great to work with. Just pover the past several months my Casper has become more "woody" if that is a description of the tone, more like an older Martin, but still bright and clear. I am sure your guitar sounds great, and the rosewood and inlays are awesome. My next build (fingers crossed) will be with a type of rosewood.

Enjoy!
Dave
McPherson Touring
Loar LM-500 mandolin
Fender Performer Tele
Various Basses
Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 PM

Hey Dave, great to see your name pop up! Appreciate the kind words regarding Beth's guitar and really glad to hear that the sinker mahogany is still turning on the charm Interesting to hear that it is developing a bit more woody sound. It should be sounding really good now after a couple of years of playing.

As Beth noted, we borrowed a few design elements from your guitar that you probably recognized.

Enjoy them!

Ken
Old 06-15-2021, 04:21 PM

Default Casper Guitar is Still Superb

My son received his Casper OO Saint Clair model a few weeks back. This guitar is amazing beyond anything we have experienced. The guidance and counsel throughout the process was stellar. Ken guided us through every step, and was always positive no matter how many questions we had.

His artistry and craftsmanship were beyond anything we have see and heard...BTW we own over 26 guitars between both of us. Ken's attention to detail reminds us of the hand work that went into our banjos from the 1920's and 1930's.

I know Ken worked hard on getting the Engelmann Spruce Top to respond perfectly, and it does respond. The Eastern Black Walnut back and sides give us the sustain that we were trying to find. His attention to detail, never diminished from the first to the last step.

It is hard to believe that he can get a full range of sound out of a OO size guitar.

IMHO, this is eye candy and ear candy combined.

This is my son taking it through it's tryout.
https://youtu.be/l8lGeaBbRjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
casper guitar, custom acoustic, grand concert, manzer wedge