The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

I've had a pair of AKG 240DF for about 15 years. Mechanically bulletproof. Sonically excellent. They don't work well with cheesy, low powered headphone amps, mostly because of their 600 Ohm output impedance. They stand as an equal, although a bit different, to my Grados 325's.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Rick-SLO,

What's your preference?

Jim McCarthy
Grado headphones. I have a few (125i, 225i, 325i) but in the DAW I generally use the Grado 225i headphones.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-20-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If you're considering Senn HD280 Pros I can tell you that I have a set that have seen very light use but all of the plastic parts around the headband have fallen off. Quality-wise they are the worst phones I've ever owned. They sound OK, but I got tired of picking up the broken pieces. It must not be just me, one of our local studios had a few sets that were duck taped back together.

I much prefer my Beyerdynamic DT770's, plus the microfiber ear cup covers don't make you sweat.

(Well, they do cost more than twice as much but cheap is cheap. If I would have read this post back then I could have avoided wasting my money.)
I already had 2 pair and on one the plastic is breaking but in my case it could be from my dropping them on the tile floor about 5 times .

I was more curious as to any sound improvement the AKG might offer for tracking as I don't need them for mixing.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-21-2014, 03:37 PM

IMO...
Not a fan of the Senn 280s here - way bright - I dislike the 7506's for the same reason
Big fan of the DT770s for tracking and also pretty true sounding
Love my old K240s but open back makes tracking not ideal - but great sounding phones - non hyped - $80 is a GOOD deal!
Also love the Grados - even the lowest in their line have great sound. Open back once again limits tracking use for me...
Have senn 650 for listening but strangely they are the least like my nearfields.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

They are now on sale at Sweetwater HERE for $79and AMS HERE for $79.99 including shipping. These are the 55ohm version that plays nicely with home and portable gear.

For those who own these cans and want new earpads, Sweetwater has 'em for $10.35ea. HERE.

Get 'em while they are hot!

Bob

Bob
Excellent cans. I made one of my best mixes on those things sitting in an airport with my iPad. Worth buying 2 pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lee View Post
IMO...
Not a fan of the Senn 280s here - way bright - I dislike the 7506's for the same reason
Big fan of the DT770s for tracking and also pretty true sounding
Love my old K240s but open back makes tracking not ideal - but great sounding phones - non hyped - $80 is a GOOD deal!
Also love the Grados - even the lowest in their line have great sound. Open back once again limits tracking use for me...
Have senn 650 for listening but strangely they are the least like my nearfields.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Bob can you compare these with the Senn HD280's ?
I'm not Bob. But I own and use both.

I don't like the HD280's much either. But I use them because they stack up with my monitors pretty well. What I hear in my monitors (M1mk2) is basically what I hear in the HD280's. The K240's sound better but don't match up with the monitors as well.
I don't know if that reflects badly on the monitors or the K240's. But if I'm mixing outside the studio - sans monitors - I take the K240's - not the HD280's. I've had better results. Not only that, for my own personal listening, I like the K240's much better.

They're a lot more comfortable too. I'm very confident using them.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Last edited by louparte; 06-23-2014 at 11:24 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD