The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Default A minor technology rant

The one thing I really dislike about having a software-based recording studio isn't that the technology gets obsolete, it's that after a certain point it's very difficult to add anything to the system because new equipment requires new versions of the operating system, or a specific combination of drivers that can't be found anywhere. The first generation Mac Mini at the heart of my DAW turned nine years old this month. It works fine, everything's stable. I get OK results from it (if I do say so myself), and I barely know what I'm doing.

But I haven't upgraded the OS since 10.4.11 (OSX is in version 10.9 now). I'm running Digital Performer 4.6.1 (DP is on version 8 now). Once I got everything stable, I turned off Automatic Updates and never looked back. So if I want to add, say, two more preamp inputs...I kind of can't. MOTU's new cool little 4-channel box wants OSX 10.5.8, minimum. Focusrite's neat red 2-channel box wants at least 10.6.5. And forget about getting one of those fabulous software plug-ins that emulates the exact 2-inch reel-to-reel machine that Fleetwood Mac used to record Tusk,* or whatever other crazy amazing software they've got going on these days.

My studio setup is old, and it's perfectly functional. But if I want two more pre-amp channels, I have to upgrade my OS. And if I have to upgrade my OS, I'll probably have to add more RAM to the Mini (assuming that the new OS will even run on its Power PC G4 processor). So the row of upgrade dominos is set up so that sure, I could buy those two additional pre-amp channels for just $149 - which is wonderful, marvelous age we live in and all that - but I could end up needing to upgrade or replace another $2000 worth of hardware before I could actually use them. My best option is to find a second-hand 828MKII, which is kind of overkill when I only really need two more channels.

The thing is, if I had a classic, forty-year-old Ampex reel-to-reel in my studio, or a Teletronix compressor, or a Fairchild limiter, I could still record with them today, and if I maintained them properly, they would sound just as amazing now as they did decades ago. The hardware itself would never stop working because they no longer make the kind of electricity it needs.

Anyway.

I mean yeah, it's great that I've got a quality recording studio that fits on my desk. It really is. But sometimes...sigh.

*I'm only partly joking - you may have seen the plug-ins that emulate specific machines like that. Which is really funny to me...after decades of trying to convince everyone of the pristine desirability of digital recording, they're - you know, Them - now peddling software that puts all of the old analogue artifacts and quirks back into the recording process.

Last edited by iWood; 02-15-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWood View Post
…I mean yeah, it's great that I've got a quality recording studio that fits on my desk. It really is. But sometimes...sigh.
Hi iW...

I do understand. I ran a MOTU studio with the 2408 interfaces on a Mac with system 9 and an upgraded G4 500Mhz processor (upgraded 4 years after we operated on a G3 350Mhz system).

When MOTU upgraded everything to OSX, I would have had to redo all the hardware/software, and that's when I decided to return to my photography instead of operating a recording studio (my interfaces were nearing 10 years old and starting to act up). I didn't think investing $4500 for the last 6 years of my 'working life' was worth it.

Now that I'm retired, I bought a MacMini with a pair of 1TB drives, 16gb ram, and the MOTU mk3 ultralite. More channels than before (plus I can still use my left-over tube preamps from the studio).

The thought of reel-to-reel only crossed my mind for about 30 seconds, till I remembered all the hassles of degaussing heads, and the fact that reel-to-reel tape requires pristine storage conditions, and is a boutique industry now.

Have you considered just adding a decent two channel tube preamp into your existing interface? I see decent 2 channel Bellari RP-220 dual channel/dual tube preamps going for under $300.

Hope you find peace and adequate channels.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Have you considered just adding a decent two channel tube preamp into your existing interface? I see decent 2 channel Bellari RP-220 dual channel/dual tube preamps going for under $300.
You know, I have been so fixated on USB/Firewire this-or-that the idea didn't even occur to me.

I've got plenty of line level inputs left. Now I feel a bit silly...more technology-induced myopia!

But...hmmmm.......thanks for that!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know, I have been so fixated on USB/Firewire this-or-that the idea didn't even occur to me.

I've got plenty of line level inputs left. Now I feel a bit silly...more technology-induced myopia!

But...hmmmm.......thanks for that!
Hi iW...

Please keep us posted what direction you go, and how it works for you.

You cannot be the only one who's facing these types of dilemmas.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-15-2014, 04:21 PM

good thing that was minor. ha!

i felt the same way you did for a long time, then decided that i would upgrade everything and i'm glad i did. my 2010 imac still supports mavericks, runs logic x, reason 6.5(they are now at 7), ableton live 9, and, all works great with my apogee ensemble audio interface. i usually update software about 2 months after it appears to let the bugs be worked out, but, otherwise it is a great system.

whatever goes around, comes around. nostalgia is a continual thing and software developers have to come up with tube, compressor, preamp and tape emulators as well as noise introducers(bitcrushers) to sell product. that is why fender just came out with the '68 amps-princeton, twin reverb and deluxe reverb.

i have a teac 3340 and 2340 stashed in the garage and i can't lift them anymore(ha!) but, the tape would cost me at least one arm if not a leg also, not to mention the problems LJ stated.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM

I was looking into Logic for my MacBook Pro, but it requires OSX8.6 and I've got 6.8. I don't know about now, but in the old days, system upgrades on a Mac were a nightmare. So, I've been reluctant to do it until I really have to. At that point, I'll probably just buy another computer.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The one thing I really dislike about having a software-based recording studio isn't that the technology gets obsolete, it's that after a certain point it's very difficult to add anything to the system because new equipment requires new versions of the operating system, or a specific combination of drivers that can't be found anywhere. The first generation Mac Mini at the heart of my DAW turned nine years old this month. It works fine, everything's stable. I get OK results from it (if I do say so myself), and I barely know what I'm doing.

But I haven't upgraded the OS since 10.4.11 (OSX is in version 10.9 now). I'm running Digital Performer 4.6.1 (DP is on version 8 now). Once I got everything stable, I turned off Automatic Updates and never looked back. So if I want to add, say, two more preamp inputs...I kind of can't. MOTU's new cool little 4-channel box wants OSX 10.5.8, minimum. Focusrite's neat red 2-channel box wants at least 10.6.5. And forget about getting one of those fabulous software plug-ins that emulates the exact 2-inch reel-to-reel machine that Fleetwood Mac used to record Tusk,* or whatever other crazy amazing software they've got going on these days.

My studio setup is old, and it's perfectly functional. But if I want two more pre-amp channels, I have to upgrade my OS. And if I have to upgrade my OS, I'll probably have to add more RAM to the Mini (assuming that the new OS will even run on its Power PC G4 processor). So the row of upgrade dominos is set up so that sure, I could buy those two additional pre-amp channels for just $149 - which is wonderful, marvelous age we live in and all that - but I could end up needing to upgrade or replace another $2000 worth of hardware before I could actually use them. My best option is to find a second-hand 828MKII, which is kind of overkill when I only really need two more channels.

The thing is, if I had a classic, forty-year-old Ampex reel-to-reel in my studio, or a Teletronix compressor, or a Fairchild limiter, I could still record with them today, and if I maintained them properly, they would sound just as amazing now as they did decades ago. The hardware itself would never stop working because they no longer make the kind of electricity it needs.

Anyway.

I mean yeah, it's great that I've got a quality recording studio that fits on my desk. It really is. But sometimes...sigh.

*I'm only partly joking - you may have seen the plug-ins that emulate specific machines like that. Which is really funny to me...after decades of trying to convince everyone of the pristine desirability of digital recording, they're - you know, Them - now peddling software that puts all of the old analogue artifacts and quirks back into the recording process.
Yeah, there are some minuses in trying to keep up with the various software needed to run a digital recording studio. I ran a Mac G4 from about 1999 to 2011 using ProTools and a few different brands of plugins until, like you, it ran out of gas. I think I stopped software updates in about 2008 or so.

In 2011 I got a new computer, updated all the software and plugged in all the analog gear without any hitches (although it did take some time to do all that). Hopefully, I'll get another 10 years out of this computer before the same things happens again. Of course, all the analog gear can come along free of charge (other than maintenance).
Old 02-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

All in the box ease of setup, multiple instances of plugins (where the sound now usually equals or exceeds external hardware), switching around order of items with a mouse click, real time monitoring of changing effects parameters...
Much , much nicer these days

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Please keep us posted what direction you go, and how it works for you.
I will!

(++)

Last edited by iWood; 02-15-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I was looking into Logic for my MacBook Pro, but it requires OSX8.6 and I've got 6.8. I don't know about now, but in the old days, system upgrades on a Mac were a nightmare. So, I've been reluctant to do it until I really have to. At that point, I'll probably just buy another computer.
Hi AX...

I upgraded three of our Macs the other morning, and one was way-behind the other two. Took about 2 hours total.

I think upgrades on everything used to be harder, and nowadays they are easier no matter what platform you use.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I would agree with Larry. I updated my old macbook pro to Maverics it was assimple as download and install

My studio Mac Pro was the same until I screwed up QuickTime to where it would not do anything after opening. Fortunately It (the free upgrade to Maveriks) was still covered by the software purchase support period Unfortunately after getting on the phone with Apple support and trying a few things, I was informed the QT was part of the OS install and I should do a clean install ( erase my hard drive and then install Maverics . which actually was not as bad I first anticipated

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-16-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
...after decades of trying to convince everyone of the pristine desirability of digital recording, they're - you know, [/I]Them - now peddling software that puts all of the old analogue artifacts and quirks back into the recording process.
Gotta give the customers what they want, even if they're WRONG.

Just think of them as "effects" and "distortion" (which is what they are). Nothing says that distortion has to always sound BAD.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Hi AX...

I upgraded three of our Macs the other morning, and one was way-behind the other two. Took about 2 hours total.

I think upgrades on everything used to be harder, and nowadays they are easier no matter what platform you use.

Thanks, that's reassuring.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Just think of them as "effects" and "distortion" (which is what they are). Nothing says that distortion has to always sound BAD.
Me=choir, you=preacher, my friend.

Part of the slow buildup to my minor rant was resubscribing to Sound On Sound (an excellent magazine, BTW; well-designed magazine apps are still the best use for an iPad) after many years of not reading it, and seeing ads and reviews for all these really cool plug-ins that promised all sorts of analogue warmth and hardware-like processing and other non-digital things...absolutely none of which I could use.

I mean, shoot, I still use synthesizers with actual keyboards and real buttons, and that was before I knew I couldn't use any decent modern softsynths anyway.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:59 PM

There is a fairly successful composer here in the Canyon (actually there's about 20 successful composers here in the Canyon but that for another day) who still uses a G4 and Pro Tools 5.1. That's probably 12 or 13 years ago now, maybe more.

I've been to his place dozens of times and consider him a friend. He's stubborn to be sure but he's also a 25 time Emmy winner and a multiple Grammy nominated musician. He's successful, successful enough that if wanted he could coast the rest of his life.

No one mandates you update your rig. Most do so because they're using their computer for other applications that need to be kept current. It seems there's a fundamental misunderstanding here. If your rig works......don't budge

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD