The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-03-2011, 11:42 PM

Default Simple Home Recording Studio (WARNING: Complete Newbie Here)

Hey all,

Joined back in 2010 and bought a guitar through the classifieds and had a great experience. Decided to revisit this forum and see if I could get some useful information.

I'm looking to set up a very simple (budget) home recording studio. At this point, the only thing I have are a couple of guitars and a mac (logic). As far as I understand, I would need to get the following to get started.
  • Recording mic
  • Small mixer

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good budget mic and a decent 4-8 channel mixer I can get. Any suggestions as to what else I would need to get kicked off would be a plus.

Also wondering if it's better to get a USB mic or something else. It's very important to me that I get a good quality mic!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

You don't really need a mixer if you're using logic. It mixes in the software. You need an audio interface and preamp(s) to support however many channels you need to record at the same time. The audio interface will get the audio into the computer (and presumably play it back). Logic will handle it from there.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:48 AM

Thanks for your response. Can you recommend any specific brands of each? I was looking at the Audio Technica AT2020 USB as a possible option so I can use it on my iPad as well with Garage Band.

I don't know anything about preamps. Any suggestions on specific brands, models etc? Something for a beginner/budget friendly.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

If you can explain what you want to do, people can probably help more. What are you recording? How many tracks at one time do you need to record? A USB mic should work fine with garageband, no preamp required. But that's just one mic. Is that all you need?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Thanks Doug for the advice.

I'll be recording 1 track at a time. 2 at most. It'll just be done as a hobby more than anything else.

Mainly, it'll just be me, my acoustic, and I. I'd probably record other bass lines and/or electric on top, but it'll still be one at a time. At most, I would have two mics one for unplugged guitar and voice.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:22 PM

I just got the last of the fundamental equipment for a home studio myself, (very exciting ) and we got an M box mini interface. it has 2 inputs, but that should be all you need. Cuz your guitar can be plugged into one, and your mic into the other. I would definitely advise you to always plug in your guitar if possible opposed to recording it through a mic, the quality is SOOO much better. Also, if you really want to do it right, you're gonna have to get an interface, which will require a mic with an XLR cable. (that's the one with the 3 prongs if you know what i mean) so a USB mic won't work. Although you could start with one and then upgrade. I got a great mic, the ST59 from Guitar Center, it's really expensive though. but we got it for $100 less cuz of a sale...so check it out on labor day!
Good luck!
aliza
Old 09-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Smoh

Aloha Smoh,

Thanks for the information, Smoh.

With your signal chain & goals, I'd get either an Apogee One or Duet as an interface for one or two channels at a time recording (think stereo two channel for acoustic guitar). The mic preamps & conversion on those units are superior to EVERYTHING under $1500 or in their class. They also are fully integrated into the soft & hardware of your Mac/Logic rig. That makes it as stable as you can get. Can't beat 'em for pristine acoustic guitar recordings on a Mac rig. Very portable too.

There are many mic choices available. Condensers are preferred. Not a fan of the AT2020. I'd investigate many mics first (with your ears) at stores.

Check out the Oktava MK-012 small diaphragm condenser or the ADK A6 medium diaphragm condenser mic's. Both affordable & great sounding for the money on acoustic guitar (especially the A6).

http://www.adkmic.com/catalog/audiophileseries/A6.php

The MK-012 can also be upgraded into a superior value mic. Michael Joly does the most popular upgrade to those.

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product...products_id=35

A pair of either of those is preferrable for stereo recording of acoustic guitar -but you only really need one. Will you be singing?

And even a hobbyist will have to control the room somewhat. So think about DIY, portable room treatment, even if it's just a couple of layers of mover's blankets (get 'em used from movers) hung around your tracking & control spaces. It'll maximize your signal chain & get the clarity-killing, early reflections of your room out of your recordings. Doesn't have to cost much at all.

http://www.uline.com/BL_7900/Moving-...FQoBbAod1Bhyag

Here's another "treatment" approach from Fran Guidry if your interest deepens:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-on-the-cheap/

Good luck, Smoh! And have a blast!

A Hui Hou,
alohachris
Old 09-04-2011, 04:05 PM

I went through the same thing last week and asked everyone on here for help as well. Here is the Link to the thread I posted.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=226162

2010 Taylor 114ce
1998 Seagull S6
2010 Martin Steel string Backpacker
Old 09-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Thanks you alohachris and GentryStuder! I'm on the run right now, but I'll make sure to study your great advice alohachris and through the thread that you wrote on gentrystuder.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

There are so many options.... one good way to go is to get one of the little portable recorders like the Zoom H4n or the new H2n. You can make very good recordings with those alone, and you get stereo mics, and they (I think the H2 can - someone correct me if not) can act as an audio interface. So you could either record basic tracks to the device, and transfer them to your mac for editing, or just use them like a USB mic and record direct to garage band. Great, inexpensive and good quality way to get started if you don't need lots of tracks to start out.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoh View Post
It's very important to me that I get a good quality mic!
The zooms are surprisingly good. Here's a nice example of one (not sure which model) in action.

If you go for a separate mic and interface, +1 for the ADK A6 and the Oktava Mk012. These two work well on acoustic guitar. A lot of popular, inexpensive mics can be harsh. Here's a clip of the A6 from dream guitars.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Any thoughts on the Shure KSM27? For vocals. Guitar will be plugged in 99% of the time.

Here's what's on my shopping list so far.

Shure KSM27 - $200-$300
4 Channel Mixer - $100
Mackie 402-VLZ3 (or equivalent) - $100-$150

I don't quite understand the whole connection part. I've seen people using USB hubs, firewire or USB interfaces. Which route should I go at this point?

Is there anything else that I would need to get started? Again, budget is $1000. Maybe I should rent this equipment for a month for like $80-$100? Very confused at this point as to what I should be doing with this.

Preamps? Thank you for your patience! I know it can be tough to help a newb.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I don't understand why you want a mixer. That's pretty useless in a computer-based recording setup. Good for live performance. All you need is some way to get audio into your computer and whatever software you will be using. It will do the mixing for you. Maybe this articles will help:

http://homerecording.about.com/od/ho..._interface.htm

or check out some of the pre-configured bundles at sweetwater for an idea of what you need (don't worry about brands - just look at the categories of what they suggest):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LaptopMusBun/ (note that this price includes a Mac, so this is more a guide to what you might need all together, not what it will cost to add to what you have)

or

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProToolsRig/

Again, don't worry about the specific brands of gear here, but it's a model of the stuff you need: mic, audio interface, monitors, cables, etc. There are many brands at all price points that can fill the roles of each of these pieces of gear.

By the way, recording a guitar thru a pickup can certainly get you started, (and that means you need some sort of guitar input that can go into the computer - not just a mic) But you'll get a better sound if you mic the guitar and skip the pickup.

But seriously, given where you're at right now and your goals, I'd start *simple* - get a Zoom H4n, $299 and you're done for now. You can plug the guitar into one of the inputs, use the mic for vocals, and transfer the result to your mac for mixing. You'll learn a lot from that about recording and be able to step up from there once you understand more about the process and what you need.

Last edited by Doug Young; 09-05-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Smoh

Aloha Smoh,

As Doug mentioned, you DON'T need a mixer, it's already in Logic's software. You DON'T need an external mic preamp yet. What you DO need is a very good interface that has great mic preamps & conversion onboard for acoustic guitar recording so you can get clarity, pristine sound & lack of noise to maximize whatever mics you choose. You really need great near-field monitors & some other stuff too.

Seeing what you are looking at, I stand by my earlier suggestions.

A used, single-channel Apogee One or two-channel Duet 1 (or the new, more $, Duet 2) interface - with superior mic preamps & conversion onboard - are perfect for Mac/Logic rigs & your stated goals. Can't beat the sound quality, stability &, integration with Mac & Logic's soft & hardware, & it is SO SIMPLE & easy to use. Highly recommended, Smoh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEHnMuq8F-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t3tb...BDCE8F76843669

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnEsjWovoOk

An Oktava MK-012 or ADK A6 will beat the Shure KSM27 for capturing the sound of an acoustic guitar, IMO. And I have used that mic.

Check out this Al Petteway Dream Guitars sample, using the ADK A6:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/2...reek_fs_32127/

Hit the Media tab, then hit the Play arrow at the bottom of the box to play.

The VLZ Mackie series of mixers is OK - for Live. I used one at my regular gigs for several years, but never for recording. Why? The mic preamps on those are not as good as the Allen & Heath ZED series or Soundcraft FX series of small mixers. AND those two small mixers offer superior EQ for control.

But as we've told you, you don't need a mixer to do what you've stated you want to do - 1-2 track-at-a-time recordings. So save the money or put it into two rather than just one mic for stereo recording of your acoustic guitar, Smoh.

Get a used Apogee One (around $200 - now at gearslutz.com)) or the Duet 1 (there are two available at gearslutz.com right now for just over $300) & an ADK A6 condenser ($249 new, under $150 used) & you're all set for the front end.

But you have other important things to consider, such as good near-field monitors & headphones (critical), stands, cables, treatment, etc. So it is important to consider & plan the whole signal chain (live or recording) in advance for compatibility & preference. Read up on how the various parts of recording signal chains work - (purpose & function, how to use with other pieces, choosing for compatible electronics, etc.)

But again, in terms of mic's, it's always a good idea to go to stores & try some out first (strongly recommended). Trust Your Ears, Smoh!

There are many sources to get the info you need to obtain an impirical knowledge/education of a recording signal chain. It's important to understand it because you can needlessly spend money on things that you don't need or that won't work together. The knowledge is your insurance policy & helps you save time & money. So do a lot of reading & watching.

Since you have Logic, you should download some of the instructional youtube videos on various aspects of that DAW. It'll help you see what you need or don't need in terms of a signal chain too.

lynda.com's series is a decent place to start. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlPez_u72lw

Check out the sites at gearslutz (my favorite), home recording, gearpage, Logic Pro user forums, taperssection, harmony central & others for more clues. A good resource is to order a free catalogue online from Sweetwater Pro Audio. Lots of great info there about signal chain products & function. Keep it in the bathroom. Ha!

Finally Smoh, don't plug in your acoustic guitar for recording. Use mic's. Gives you more natural acoustic sound & more mixing & sonic options later.

Connections are easy. You can figure those out. Start at your Mac site or store & ask questions there. And the lynda.com sample above has some relevant info as well about interface connection & use with Logic.

Good Luck, Smoh.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 09-05-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoh View Post
Any thoughts on the Shure KSM27? For vocals. Guitar will be plugged in 99% of the time.
Are you sure..? It'll sound a lot better recorded with a mic, unless you're specifically looking for the plugged-in sound.

Quote:
I don't quite understand the whole connection part. I've seen people using USB hubs, firewire or USB interfaces. Which route should I go at this point?
You can get sound into the computer via USB, firewire, PCI card (desktop), or PCMCIA card (laptop).

The recording chain is mic --> preamp --> analogue to digital converter (AD). Line level signals don't need the preamp, only mics. On playback, it's digital to analogue converter (DA) --> studio monitors (powered speakers) or separate amp & speakers.

Most USB/firewire interfaces have built-in preamps. Most PCI cards do not. They all include ADDA converters to get analogue sound in and out of the digital domain.

With a budget of $1,000, my own first choice would probably be a Sound Devices Usbpre2. The audio quality is very good and it's also a tough little box if you need to be portable. I'm not on a mac though. If I was, the Duet might just edge it out.

Last edited by moon; 09-05-2011 at 12:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD