The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Default Preamp recommendation for fingerstyle

I just purchased a Shure SM81 mic for solo acoustic fingerstyle recording. I am now looking for a preamp/ convertor for under $250 used. Can folks give your best recommendations?

I plan to use Audacity as my DAW so don't really care if a DAW program is included.

Thanks in advance.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 06-25-2011, 04:08 AM

I use a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, which is a lovely little box. For that money you can get yourself an audio interface with a couple XLR inputs and built in preamps. It's highly recommended to use two mics to get a nice solo fingerstyle guitar sound, so having two inputs would be worth your while. I plug two condenser mics into the Focusrite and pan them left and right..

My very minimal guitar collection -

Tanglewood TSM 2
Guild GAD 30
Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 AM

That looks like a great unit. Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked at the Mackie Blackjack but the reviews at "Gearslutz" were awful, stating that the drivers were not compatible with Windows products.

Other preamps I have considered include the Art Tube Pre, EMU 0406, Echo AudioFire 4, FocusRite Scarlet, Motu Ultralite, Presonus Profire Studio Mobile, Sound Devices USB Pre 2. But I think these were more pricey, although maybe I could get a good used price. The RME Babyface sounds really good but, again, it's a bit expensive for me. Maybe if I wait long enough, there will be some on the used market.

-Bill

Last edited by bbrown; 06-25-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 AM

Default DP-03 Digital Portastudio

What do folks think of something like this (on sale today) - seems to do it all, but not sure of the quality of the preamps..............http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/

Old 06-25-2011, 08:19 AM

I have both the Echo Audiofire 4 and the original Sound Devices USBPre, and for your purposes either would work great for you. The drivers for both are solid, though I will add that I've used the Audiofire only on my Mac because both Windows laptops I've had did not come with Firewire.

I would highly recommend either one of them. Actually, it seems that if you were to add a few more dollars, you could get the Audiofire 4 new.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:32 AM

Thanks Theo. This is helping me narrow the search. I do not have Firewire. And I only need inputs for 2 mics max for solo guitar (no vocals).

--Bill

Old 06-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Default Blackjack

I don't have experience with the Blackjack, but I do have the Blackbird. The onyx preamps are the same. They sound really good, a big improvement over the TC Electronics Konnekt 6. Lots of headroom. Recordings sound worlds better. If the Blackjack is a mini-Blackbird, should be a able to get good recordings out of it.

I use it with a Mac and logic. I am always wary of claims that a particular piece o software has compatibility problems. A whole lot of variables go into that mix.

I would buy it with a returm policy and send it back it if does not work.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 AM

I like the idea of the Blackjack - seems to work very well when it works. Reading folks at Gearslutz, it seems to have major problems with the drivers when using it with Windows 7 and XP, 64 bit. I have 32 bit, so maybe it would be OK. Or maybe they have fixed those problems, but the posts I read were pretty recent.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:37 PM

Im Loving my Presonus Firestudio Moblie. It is small and compact, bus powered and send 48v Phantom power. 10 total imputs [counting spdif and midi] and 2 mic Pres. The Mic Pres aren't really bad for built in, although I am shopping around for tube pres. The Presonus Blutube DP is catching my eye. Very affordable gear for the quality and functionalitly. For my DAW I'm using REAPER.
I am still relativly fresh to DAW recording, but REAPER is infinitely customizeable and dirt cheap. You can get the 30 day trial with no limit to feature set and then a license is about $50.00 if you decide to buy. check out www.tutorialsforreaper.com Excellent info there.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Dupe

Dupe, Sorry

Last edited by alohachris; 06-25-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Bill

Aloha Bill,

Eh, long time, huh? A different approach to think about because I see the direction you're heading & products you're investigating.

I know you're a PC guy. I see the interfaces you're looking at. I know you want to keep it simple and cheap. But you may have to save up for a separate preamp to work with those units to get the quality you're seeking with the 81. Or think outside of the box of the rig you are using, & how much you can upgrade with it in the future.

Seriously, my own search just a few years ago back took me through auditions of almost all the products you've listed. All have issues & inferior preamps with the exception of the Sound Devices unit, even the Mackie's aren't very good.

There is another part of the equation: The Future. What you'll want as your recording knowledge increases.

Sure, you can use any of those on your list (the Echo AudioFire's not bad for pre's but has latency issues) to get started. But in a relatively short period of time, I'll bet that you'll be wanting more control & features from a DAW than Audacity provides. Plus you'll also want to stereo record your guitar using a PAIR of mic's & requiring TWO channels of great preamp/interface. SO why not save for that now & skip spending the money on the base entry level stuff for PC's & their inferior preamps?

Regarding a better rig approach. If you got a Mac, almost universally preferred for home recording than PC's, you'd get the free Garageband DAW with it. Then you could get a great interface with the best preamps available for under $1500 - an Apogee Duet (a used Duet1 or new Duet2). Huge difference in performance & sound from what you're looking at.

Furthermore, Mac & Apogee have fully integrated the soft & hardware of their units. What that translates into is the most stable of DAW's for us guitar players & no crashes.

Let that sink in for a minute. Best preamps, better quality & control from a better DAW, more stable DAW/interface. Plug a couple of 81's (when you're ready) into that & have at!

Later, you could move up to Logic Pro if you want a pro level DAW. Later still, you'll probably want tor invest in some truly great pro-level, two-channel pre's: A-Designs Pacifica, Great River MP-2NV, John Hardy M2, Grace 201, etc.. The Apogee Duet's pre's however, are right up there with those, IMO, & they're part of an affordable interface! Ya can't say that about the other's you're looking at now. Why waste money on them?

Having started with & left behind PC's & Pro Tools LE for audio recording, I can tell you that the Mac route is best for home recording of acoustic guitar, in terms of stability, sound & quality. And I use PC's for everything else in my life but recording. Think about it, Bill.

And also investigate used mic's, pre's & interfaces. Don't forget room treatment.

Good luck with your search, Bill.

A Hui Hou!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-25-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:04 AM

What he said. +1

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Daniel, thanks for the input. I'll look at the Presonus Blutube DP; was not aware of it before.

Chris, really appreciate the thoughtful reply. You are leagues ahead of me re. experience, so I have much to learn from you, Ty, and others who have been down this road for some time. Not sure my skill level should warrant such a high end rig as you mention, or that I would ever improve enough to do so. I'm just an occasional player/ hobbyist who wants to get a little better sound. Right now, I think I basically want a second Shure SM81 and a "decent" preamp for 2 mics, and I'm pretty good to go. At least should be an improvement over my Zoom H2 alone. Of course, I also have a lot to learn re. the tasteful and subtle use of the DAW!

However, your suggestions make me rethink the whole thing. The big issue would be the cost of buying a Mac and the Duet. Just cannot afford that right now. So, I am looking for the best compromise, hoping that maybe I could get some tips for what might be best amongst the sub $300 preamps (used would be great).

Much to learn and ponder. It's all a lot of fun.

Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Default PM Sent

Alohachris,

What about the Grace 101?
I did not want to hijack the thread so I sent a few more questions via PM.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sage97; 06-26-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 AM

Hey Sage, it's OK to hijack the thread - I would like to learn what Chris has to say. So feel free to wander wherever you want.

--Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD