The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 AM

There is no such thing: best for what?, in what situation?, expecting what results?

For instance, in a noisy environment, or in a bad sounding room, I'd prefer a typical sm57 over a Sennheiser MKH 80 (which would be my first choice for -generally speaking- plucked instruments in optimal circumstances).

Though, none of them is great (IMO) for bowed instruments...
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The general would be yes and no because there are a number of different capsules that can be used on the CMC 6 amp body from Mid field and omni
to MK 41 capsule which is supercardoid and would tend not to pick op a lot of room noise here is a quote from the schoeps web sight
The MK41 is what I used on Anton's recording. In a reasonably decent-sounding room, tho.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Chris,

Why do you think the Schoeps are so good in bad sounding rooms? The hypercardoid pattern perhaps?

Doug Young used a pair of Schoeps to record my cd, and I am indeed happy with the sound. Wish i could afford a pair for myself.

Anton

Anton, Listened to some cuts from your CD. Very nicely done.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:41 PM

I worked for many years in a top Manhattan studio that had an obscene number of mics. U47's, U67's, old RCA ribbons, 414's, literally every mic that's ever been coveted. Many of them had their specific uses and sounded fantastic on some things but not others. A 414 could sound as bad on voice as it sounded good on piano, the U47 could sound brilliant on some voices but not so on others, the list goes on. But the one mic that always sounded good on absolutely everything you put it in front of was the Neumann U87. These mics were quite common and most considered them somewhat pedestrian but you could always count on a very good sound no matter what the use. If I could only own one condenser mic, it would be the U87. Of course they run 2 or 3 grand now, back in the 80's I think you could get them for a grand.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Telefunken Ela M 251

Or not... Really it depends on what you are recording, where, how and why
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD