The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
Sure. We recorded in my study which has carpeted floors, plaster walls, and wood ceiling. The room shape is kind of hexagonal which I've heard is preferable to parallel walls.

I did the mixing in Garageband on a mac and we sent the mix to Bill Wolfe in Nashville to have it mastered. Bill was great to work with and we were pleased with the result.

Best of luck with your recording adventure. It's a lot of fun!
How big is this space? It sounds like you didn't do anything special to the room for recording? The results sure are nice!

I'd love to hear a pre and post mastering example. Do you have any of these clips up prior to mastering?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:34 PM

i use logic 9 and love it. i have never tried express but my nephew uses it and says it works well for him.

when you need the definitive difference between the two, go to the source-apple. this is from their discussion section on logic. note that you will want to peruse the logic and logic express discussion fora even prior to your purchase and definitely afterward.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4229

this is the specific logic express discussion forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/commun.../logic_express

good luck.
mikeB.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Smile

Logic studio includes all the garage band packs. So if you think you ever need them it's a good deal. I have express and it works great however if I knew there was a better reverb in studio I would get it..

Also I did not know the garage band packs were in studio and ended up buying one of the packs. If you have academic pricing then get studio. Express will be more than you need for recording especially with their templates but I would get studio.

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
How big is this space? It sounds like you didn't do anything special to the room for recording? The results sure are nice!

I'd love to hear a pre and post mastering example. Do you have any of these clips up prior to mastering?
That's right. We didn't really do anything special to the room. Its about 15' by 20' and we recorded close to the middle of the room. I'll check with our web guru. Frankly, I can't remember if the clips were posted pre- or post- mastering.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I checked with our web guro and the versions of songs posted on the site are before the mastering for the cd was done so they should give a good feel for the Garageband capabilities. The reverb was standard GB reverb, although we don't use much. Hope this helps.

Best of luck with your recording project!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD