The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-30-2023, 01:41 PM

Default Telegraphing Songs

This thread is here because I'm assuming that most people who use an amp use it to play in public.

In most of the pro bands I've been in since I was, say, 13, there have been two main onstage rules: 1. Make as little noise as possible between songs, and 2. If you must make noise, don't "telegraph" and reveal what song is coming next. I'm now working in a band where the leader/lead guitarist telegraphs pretty much every song and it makes me nuts.

Thoughts?

Couch Standards
Old 12-30-2023, 02:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

I hear your pain, I feel the same way.

However, as a guitarist, sometimes my fingers and/or my brain need to get oriented with the new song just a little bit before starting. I always mute if I'm going to do that so as not to give it away.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 12-30-2023, 02:21 PM

Brent, yup, hate that.
Occasionally, it can be an effect if the song in question is one the audience will get excited for when they know it’s coming.
But that is by far the exception not the rule.
Cheers, _RP
Old 12-30-2023, 03:48 PM

I dunno if I ever worried about telegraphing the next song (or even heard that "rule") but definitely with you on rule #1. It absolutely annoys me--even when it's myself that I find doing it without realizing!
Old 12-30-2023, 04:28 PM

Yep—and if there’s a sound check I’ll make it a point to not sound check a song that I’ll be performing—especially not the first song! I was taught that long ago by a seasoned pro and it stayed with me!
Old 12-30-2023, 04:51 PM

I've been performing onstage since I was a kid. Noodling, chattering, screwing off between tunes is unprofessional. As is the foot shuffling "well whatdya guys wanna do next?" dialogue.

Telegraphing songs? I've seen a lot of "crowd pleaser" threads here and my impression is most folks here (myself included) aren't true "pros" who make their living touring and playing music. Most of us are doing it for fun, attention, to play rock star, etc. If you enjoy playing for drinkers and talkers at a bar in a dad or grampa band, or filling a playing live on stage internal need at an open mic go ahead and have a blast. I've done my share of that myself. But not everyone sees that as a "professional" pursuit.

Most folks I know (AGFers included) play the same tired old moldy chestnuts from 40, 50, 60, 80 years ago. I really don't think it matters if you "telegraph" that stuff. It's not like the crowd doesn't know it's coming.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:01 PM

During a dinner event, I telegraphed songs and the rest of the band appreciated it as it gave them a chance to get ready for the next songs. We hadn't finalized a set list ahead of time.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Most folks I know (AGFers included) play the same tired old moldy chestnuts from 40, 50, 60, 80 years ago. I really don't think it matters if you "telegraph" that stuff. It's not like the crowd doesn't know it's coming.
Cynical, but I suppose you're right. If telegraphing songs is just one minor line item in a long list, then who cares?

Couch Standards
Old 12-30-2023, 07:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
This thread is here because I'm assuming that most people who use an amp use it to play in public.

In most of the pro bands I've been in since I was, say, 13, there have been two main onstage rules: 1. Make as little noise as possible between songs, and 2. If you must make noise, don't "telegraph" and reveal what song is coming next. I'm now working in a band where the leader/lead guitarist telegraphs pretty much every song and it makes me nuts.

Thoughts?
Brent,
Next time you’re rehearsing tell him you’re planning on throwing him a surprise party.

When he asks why you’re telling him, ask him why he likes telling the audience what song is next, instead of surprising them?

Have a great new year!

Howard Emerson
Old 01-03-2024, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
Same, and I also don't like when a singer announces a tune before we play it unless there is some patter or story to go with it. Music has impact when there are delightful small surprises. Back-announcing ftw.

There have been a few gigs where I would tease a song over and over, but never did play it. Depends on the crowd and the vibe. But in general for solo shows I will either just launch into a tune or tell some bit of trivia about it. When I do the latter, I typically do not mention the title of the song or the artist, but depends on the details.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 01-03-2024, 12:13 PM

Noodling between songs is the most annoying thing ever.

Wanna know the way to beat that?

Don't have any dead space between songs.

One stops, the other starts. Every one is ready to go.

That puts an end to all the silliness. he wont have time to telegraph anything.

Tell him to practice at home, not on stage.

and add to it, nothing kills the room energy like a 30/45 second pause between tunes.

I only play solo now,

There is no dead space until I stop for a break, with very minimal bantering in between.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 01-03-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
I disagree 100%. It's about building a rapport with an audience. There's often a fun connection why you choose to perform a song. It's nice to clue an audience in.

Of course, rambling on and on is a different story.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I disagree 100%. It's about building a rapport with an audience. There's often a fun connection why you choose to perform a song. It's nice to clue an audience in.

Of course, rambling on and on is a different story.
There's pretty big difference with rapport with the audience and players noodling between songs.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-03-2024, 12:52 PM

Totally agree with the OP but my term is, no sneak peeks. Sounds like your band member is trying to remember the song on stage before performing it. That would suck.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

Last edited by mike o; 01-03-2024 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:17 PM

As an audience member, I prefer to "name that tune" myself. It makes me look smart to the people I'm with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification