The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-25-2023, 08:54 AM

Default wireless for guitar and vocal mic

Greetings and Happy Hollidays AGF Fam! Newbie Q:
What's the best wireless set-up for both? (SM58)
Also, what about wireless headset microphones? Is the headset mic one item, and the same wireless is used as for the SM58?

Also, any tips for searching for info on AGF?

Thank you!
Old 12-25-2023, 09:07 AM

Best wireless for me on guitar is the now discontinued Shure GLXD16. Just found one with three transmitters and bought it in preparation for a band where I'll probably be needing two or three guitars due to special tuning requirements.

You'll find a lot of other recommendations, but also a good number of them will be for the legendary GLXD16, with its diminutive receiver also containing visual metering for the rechargeable transmitter which can be run up to 16 hours, and built in footswitchable mute/strobe tuner. Absolutely bulletproof too.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 12-25-2023, 11:50 AM

Why are you stuck on a 58?

I've used an AKG Perception for 6+ years for a handheld vocal mic. It's rugged. It's taken a few licks and keeps on ticking. And it sounds way better than a 58. And it lasts 12+ hours on a single AA. And it's only about $200.
https://www.akg.com/Wireless/wireles...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

For guitar, I've had good success with XVIVE. There are other units out there like it that work as well and cost half as much.

I have a GLDX Shure Beta58 hand held that is excellent.

For head set, I use the AKG presenter model with an upgraded mic.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g-wms-wireless
"Best" is kinda vague. Perhaps if you let us know an approximate budget and your intended venue we could help dial you in a little more.

Across the blue toolbar at the top of the forum website there is a search tool near the middle. Click the drop down. Then choose the provided link to search the forum.

As for headset units, you could get a mic with an XLR connector and run a XLR to XLR wireless system like the X-Vive U3. But most are systems with a base unit, a transmitter, and a mic that plugs into the transmitter. With an X-Vive U3, you could use your favorite handheld mic you already have as a wireless mic. Battery life is rather short though. That's another thing to consider.

Finally, with wireless, in a crowded venue with lots of people and cellular devices you are highly likely to have dropouts and/or interference

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 12-25-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:39 AM

Brutal... just typed a big reply and lost it all upon re-login-prompt. :|

New player/singer... most home use now, but want to gig solo asap. Easy entry decent quality, low cost seemed to be Loundbox Mini and SM58 with cables.

The amp thing is a different sub-thread, but more than two inputs would be nice for plugging-in a friend or something once in a while. (e.g. Genzler with all inputs active, two per channel, so I've read. ?)

So I want to be able to stand, walk, play and sing -- plus no cords across the living room full-time is a bonus. I like to keep it all practice ready with no storage.

Anyway... I first saw this 'type' of g-wireless: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-system-black
Saw many even cheaper in the $50'ish range, but my intuition was leery about them, although no experience. (5 ms latency seemed like a lot too? shrug). The GLXD seems more robust for sure, but the base station receiver detracts from portability and adds some costs.

So then enter the vocal mic. The one you suggested above is just a bit more than the 58, which seems attractive, but it's still a hand-held. Can get up with guitar wireless, but the h-h mic in a hand would definitely detract from my playing! So, now questioning having a h-h mic AND a head-set mic. So does that mean it makes more sense to have a vocal wireless set-up that plugs onto a regular h-h mic OR a headset mic; either way; like the other you referenced?

Maybe the base station is warranted with guitar and vocal wireless.

So, all this wireless may end up costing more than my amp, but it seems easier to sell a well-cared-for amp in the future, rather than all this wireless business, so maybe money spent here lasts me a long time, regardless of future amp choices.

So, my current talent may not warrant "the best", but I like the quality/price point where incremental dollars are meaningful, and not just merely idiosyncratically esoteric. Especially in terms of "functional quality" in wireless. Connectivity and drop-put stuff would annoy me.

Grateful for knowledge/experience sharing! Excited to get going!! Thx!
Old 12-26-2023, 12:32 PM

I've certainly experienced the long reply inadvertently being deleted. Bummer. Regardless, welcome to the forum. There are a few users on here who have a nice portable, compact rig that gets you up and running quickly. Hopefully they'll chime in.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

just a few more data points while you look for a full answer:

I run my guitar wirelessly but my mic wired (I dont sing in my band hardly at all).

My guitar wireless are $60 lekato's and they are amazing - no lag, and Ive never had a battery die on me even during 4-hour gigs. I have a spare set with me at all times just in case (I also have an emergency patch cord on the stage next to my amp too, but have never needed any backups. Also, my range is extremely long - I run our sound system so I walk around during sound check and walk really far out into the audience area. The only failure I ever had w as damaged USB charging socket cracked.

My acoustic trio started using these same wireless systems and we have no problems with sound quality, lag or interference.

In my band, two different singers tried using wireless headset mics and threw them away. We had nothing but interference and lost channels on these.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-27-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Best wireless for me on guitar is the now discontinued Shure GLXD16. Just found one with three transmitters and bought it in preparation for a band where I'll probably be needing two or three guitars due to special tuning requirements.

You'll find a lot of other recommendations, but also a good number of them will be for the legendary GLXD16, with its diminutive receiver also containing visual metering for the rechargeable transmitter which can be run up to 16 hours, and built in footswitchable mute/strobe tuner. Absolutely bulletproof too.
If you or anyone else is looking for a GLXD16 guitar system, I have 2 units in great condition that I'd be willing to part with. Each with an extra battery and separate charger. I haven't used them much recently, and I don't anticipate having much of a need for them in the future. The pair has been mounted on a pedalboard since I bought them.

I'm not sure what they're worth, but if anyone wants them, get in touch. I'm sure we could make a deal.

I will say I'm not a huge fan of 2.4GHz wireless systems in general, but I had very good results with these. There was one venue we always had trouble in, but it was chock full of el-cheapo LED lighting fixtures that I'm sure were crowding up the RF airspace. They worked great in several much larger venues than that one. The form factor of the receiver is great, and the built-in tuner/mute pedal is a really nice feature. There's a lot to like.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:32 PM

Appreciate all the comments.
Dug-in for the long haul, hopefully, with the GLXD16+ and SLXD SM58.
Was a big gap from the Xvive-U2s and BLX SM58, but lot's in return for the stretch -- I spent a lot of time looking at the differences, they're signifiant.
Just wanted to minimize the non-musical challenges of live music, and the muses of common wireless lore. Next week I'll be un-hooked-up, so I'll see what all the freedom is all about. Back to practice.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
just a few more data points while you look for a full answer:

I run my guitar wirelessly but my mic wired (I dont sing in my band hardly at all).

My guitar wireless are $60 lekato's and they are amazing - no lag, and Ive never had a battery die on me even during 4-hour gigs. I have a spare set with me at all times just in case (I also have an emergency patch cord on the stage next to my amp too, but have never needed any backups. Also, my range is extremely long - I run our sound system so I walk around during sound check and walk really far out into the audience area. The only failure I ever had w as damaged USB charging socket cracked.

My acoustic trio started using these same wireless systems and we have no problems with sound quality, lag or interference.

In my band, two different singers tried using wireless headset mics and threw them away. We had nothing but interference and lost channels on these.
Another very happy owner of the Lekato wireless. I have two sets... guitar to pedalboard, pedalboard to amp.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 01-03-2024, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I tried wireless back in the day (so things may have changed)
And of course everyone is different
But I found as a solo performer that the extra gear belt pack/s etc. occasional RF interference ect. soon outweighed the perceived advantages of no cables and being able to move around
If for no other reason that as a solo performer in smaller venues, more often than not the allotted stage area was so small that moving around was not practical or even not possible..
The only real tactical advantage I saw is that there were no cables for some doofus (cutting thru the stage space) to trip over ----just a thought

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification