The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Don't, I repeat don't play a forties or early fifties Gibson LG2. Your credit cards and bank account will thank you.
Haha! My life would be the poorer without my LG2. It just has a soul that other inanimate objects rarely reach. That said, it is a sound of its own, in a small room , around a campfire, so sweet. Trying to belt it out with other instruments, not so much. But blues, ragtime, all those daddy stovepipe vids where he plays cool old guitars, you're right there with an old LG2.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-19-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I have a banner-era LG2. Nice guitar. Truth be told, though, I actually prefer my Waterloos.
I have to agree with Bob here. While the Banner LG2s are fun guitars to play, they don't have the balance and ease of play that the Waterloos have. I have two Gibson Banner LG-2s, a 1943 with maple b&s and a 1944 all mahogany. Probably will sell them some day for big money and still be forever happier with my Waterloos.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
I have to agree with Bob here. While the Banner LG2s are fun guitars to play, they don't have the balance and ease of play that the Waterloos have. I have two Gibson Banner LG-2s, a 1943 with maple b&s and a 1944 all mahogany. Probably will sell them some day for big money and still be forever happier with my Waterloos.

They are just so easy!

After getting my Waterloo WL-14X, I can see why some people have the whole collection! After the all the work I have had done on old guitars, I can say it again....they are just so easy.....

BluesKing777.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient tones View Post
Birth year alert! Hmmm.[emoji3]
Same here! Oh man...

Yeah, honey... you really didn’t want to take that vacation this year did you? I mean, wouldn’t it be nice to stay home and relax. Maybe to some nice old guitar music?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
They are just so easy!

After getting my Waterloo WL-14X, I can see why some people have the whole collection! After the all the work I have had done on old guitars, I can say it again....they are just so easy.....

BluesKing777.
Yes, I own 5 Waterloos and can't imagine a better built more responsive guitar for the price.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 PM

I've owned a Gibson L-00 Legend for several years now and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played. All of my friends who pick it up fall in love with it.

It sounds and looks amazing, the action is perfect and the entire guitar has been rock steady for nearly a decade without requiring any setup/maintenance.

My advice would be to be patient and find the right vintage Gibson for yourself.

If you prefer a worry-free instrument, get a new one like I did.

Gibson builds wonderful acoustics.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:29 AM

+1 for 30's Kalamazoo's either KG 11 or KG 14's. You can get them for less than a Waterloo, and they are what the Waterloo's are based on (KG 14). These are very lightly built all solid wood Gibson guitars from the 1930's.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 04-20-2018, 05:52 AM

just played my '48 lg2 and my waterloo wl12, and while both have their merits, the waterloo is the winner.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:09 AM

I am another who over the decades has fallen out of love with LG-2/3s. I imagine even the CF-100 will be going bye bye down the road. It took me a bit to figure it out but I prefer guitars with a bit more real estate such as what they used to call a "jumbo" (15" lower bout).

But in new 00 size guitars, there is, of course always a Fraulini, but I do like the Waterloos I have gotten my hands on.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I am another who over the decades has fallen out of love with LG-2/3s. I imagine even the CF-100 will be going bye bye down the road. It took me a bit to figure it out but I prefer guitars with a bit more real estate such as what they used to call a "jumbo" (15" lower bout).

But in new 00 size guitars, there is, of course always a Fraulini, but I do like the Waterloos I have gotten my hands on.

You may not thank me for this, Zomb, but have you tried one of these (larger) Waterloo Jumbo Kings?

http://www.waterlooguitars.com/wl-jk/

http://www.waterlooguitars.com/wl-jk-deluxe/

BluesKing777.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 AM

Not counting the sentiment, my Waterloo WL-12mh is far better sounding and playing than the Kalamazoo 14-fret I had some years ago. The Waterloo doesn't have the vibe and warm finish of the Kalamazoo but it also doesn't have the cracks, separating braces, and occasional buzz from who knows where.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 AM

Wow! Thank you everyone. Nice BF100 ZW, Sharp guitar and I don't like cutouts on acoustics. But I liked that one! And the electronics for the once in a blue moon gig!
Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 AM

Word....I'm thinking ladder braces for me is what I am wanting. The more punchy, percussive, plunky, fundamental tone of ladder braced is my goal. Waterloos fit the budget and many here like the ease of operation without the old guitar issues.

Kalamazoo are not out of the running. The recommended shop has some nice ones that are setup and repaired already. They seem to be a labor or love for the guy.

I have a 1958 Gigson LG1 ordered that is to be here next Tuesday to try. Will update. It is supposed to be excellent condition. If it's as good as described, then I may be paying closer to wholesale rather than retail for it. Otherwise I'll pass. But you never know. Got to see if we bond.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:43 AM

Concerning the pricing of Waterloos.... I know many new Martins can be had for 40% off MSRP. What is a fair, doable, and gettable discount to expect on Waterloo guitars? Personal message is fine. I'm not sure how appropriate the discussion is for public forum. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2018, 12:10 PM

I'm an LG fan. My favorites are the WWII LG-1s, which were X-braced. Alas, Gibson only built 139 of them.

I have compared the my original with one of Gibson's 50 copies of it. Here is my comparison video of my original LG-1, shipped June 23, 1943, and Gibson's copy of my guitar, shipped 70 years later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion