The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Tapping and tone Woods.

They say it’s not the wood, it’s the builder. After watching this I’ve concluded it’s the wood AND the builder. Just a fascinating explaination of tonal/musical qualities of different woods:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JhauyBQ8Y
Old 04-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Both have influence over the final product. Its almost like the nurture vs nature argument, where its a combination of both that's at work.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:06 PM

I like to say that every set of wood has a certain potential. The skill of the luthier determines how much of that potential is unlocked in the final instrument.

Cincy
Old 04-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Great Video, thanks so much for sharing. I understand that he is a fantastic guitar maker, so his words are valued. With out a doubt it is both the maker and the wood. Having said that...I have Three guitars of the same maker and Bodyshape with the same tops, but different back and sides and they all sound different. And I have two more of the same body shape with different bracing pattern, and the same top but different back and sides...and a huge difference in sound as well. The wood does make a big difference! However..the maker can also control the sound via his specific building techniques as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion